Shipyard Brewery | Cambria Suites | 86 Newbury Street | Covetrus | 12 Mountfort Street | Portland

IMG_2013.jpg

Other than the brewery itself, an entire extension of downtown has been created and this shot only shows a portion of the growth. Which is the reason I proclaimed the area as the New Port several years ago!

This article in MaineBiz says the entire development will be done by the end of the year, but they don't specifically mention the townhouses on Newbury Street. It's hard for me to believe they'll be completed by year's end since work on them doesn't appear to have begun. The land they'll be situated on is covered in construction equipment and building supplies.

I continue to be surprised at the slow progress being made at this site. Looking back at the MaineBiz article from May 2021, the developers were predicting: "The parking garage will be completed July 1; the Covetrus pharmacy space will be done July 23; the Cambria Portland hotel will be ready for occupancy in October; the Covetrus office building, the final piece, is scheduled to be completed by Dec. 22," Bateman said.

Maybe the developers don't feel a sense of urgency to finish the project under the specter of the ongoing pandemic. Perhaps they're happy to wait another six or twelve months before trying to fill hotel or office space. But it seems to me at this rate the townhouses will likely not be finished until 2023, year five of construction!

Here's a video for them to use as inspiration! (Chinese build a 1600 patient hospital in 10 days).

I continue to be surprised at the slow progress being made at this site. Looking back at the MaineBiz article from May 2021, the developers were predicting: "The parking garage will be completed July 1; the Covetrus pharmacy space will be done July 23; the Cambria Portland hotel will be ready for occupancy in October; the Covetrus office building, the final piece, is scheduled to be completed by Dec. 22," Bateman said.

Maybe the developers don't feel a sense of urgency to finish the project under the specter of the ongoing pandemic. Perhaps they're happy to wait another six or twelve months before trying to fill hotel or office space. But it seems to me at this rate the townhouses will likely not be finished until 2023, year five of construction!
I was wondering if it had more to do with supply chain and/or labor issues. Both the glass and brick have been installed in chunks - like on many of the other sites around town. There are other sites where I've wondered if they're drawing it out for other reasons - that condo building on Washington Ave near 295 has been quiet for a month maybe even two months. Looks like there may be a lot of unsold units.

I feel like this development has turned out better than I expected.....I really like it.

Back