Shreve, Crump & Low Redevelopment | 334-364 Boylston Street | Back Bay

Re: Shreve, Crump & Low bldng may be replaced w/ new develop

First version was better.

Damn right! Have you noticed that disgusting fenestration on the newer proposal? The poorly articulated windows look like burn holes on a blanket.

New proposal is disappointing. I plan to attend the Oct. 16th BRA meeting. Hopefully others can join.

First version was better.

Of course it was....now the rallying cry isn't "they are destroying the facade", it's "give us back the original design"

I know that's not exactly what you were implying Ablarc, but that's the how this game is played. Distract the critics from the real issue by showing them two alternatives.

The correct response to this dreck is that, due to a fundamental or willful misunderstanding of the 'historic' street wall by both the developer and their architect, the proposal fails to preserve the critical elements of the SCL building and is becoming more offensive with each iteration. Arguments needs to be carefully worded to avoid lending credence to the originally proposed design, which is in fact a cheap uninspired sophomoric cash cow by an overrated architect.

Lipstick on a pig.

How can we save Shreve's beautiful and irreplaceable facade? Incredible that this will happen in a historic city, in a National Historic Register district, a few feet from a City historic architectural district where even paint colors require approval, under the regime of the renowned "preservation mayor" --- and no one, it seems, can stop it.

... no one, it seems, can stop it.
No one? Now, hold on one little minute! We have itchy, our mild-mannered resident Clark Kent. This sounds like a job for ITCHY! Aided and abetted by commuter guy and Beton Brut, Superman and shirley kressel could brew up quite a little storm in the BRA's kettle.

And I nominate briv as chief architect; he's already miles ahead of the world-famous architectural has-been!

Wish I could join the effort but I'm a thousand miles away. At least I can cheer!

Can you hear the cheers?

I'm back in town. Perhaps a strategy session is in order in advance of the 10/16 meeting? Let's meet and discuss options. Details should likely be finalized via PMing, in case Druker and his henchmen monitor the board.

Last edited:

I hadn't seen any movement from Itchy or anyone else, so I had given up on ArchBoston. I'm glad you are still interested. If you want to hatch a plan, I'll be glad to help. I lead no "minions," (contrary to sundry posts) but I'll do what I can to pitch in. Let me know by PM if that's better; I'd assume the board is monitored by the BRA and developers.

Itchy hasn't visited the board since early August, and he can't be emailed by us mere mortals. Adminstrator briv, however, has his email address; and I've PM'd him to get itchy back in action.

Hope this succeeds.

And one of our group has made the generous offer of meeting space prior to the 10/16 meeting.

We're in it to win it, ablarc. Why not hop on JetBlue for the meeting? Fly through JFK, see the restored Saarinen TWA terminal. Take some pix.

^ Gotta scramble to pay my mortgage.

Paying your mortgage is over-rated! Barney Frank, Nancy Pelosi and Chris Dodd will pay your mortgage if you decide not to.

^ They'll have to if the economy continues to tank. My clients can't get their hands on money, therefore no work for me.

^^ Student loans are horrible...I just graduated and paying them is such a bitch.

On topic though...that new design is terrible. It is the same exact thing as the Avenir, which we have said is the new cookie-cutter design for the modern Boston landscraper.

^ can we call The Mandarin "King Cookiecutter"?

Yea I guess we could...the thing that separates Mandarin from the others though is its use of good materials and it is a different color than the other redbrick landscrapers popping up...er, out?

I would have preferred the original scheme with 100% limestone cladding. After seeing the latest alphabet soup building over at Northeastern in person, it made me realize what an opportunity was missed with the Back Bay Buffet. Value engineering out limestone for brick was a rather poor decision on Mandarin's behalf. Still better than the original skin on the Rat killing Hotel Disney, but that isn't saying much?

Given how so much of the argument for preserving the SCL building is based on the modulation of scale and the intricacy of ornament, one wonders why such a 'big name architect' like Peli, couldn't fashion something appropriately articulate in contemporary forms to appease the masses. Embellishing expensive materials was once a given to maximize the effect of such lovely material. Now the inherent value of materials appears taken for granted, that something is expensive it must automatically equate to being grand, no matter how hamfistedly or sophomoric it is employed. All to often expensive materials are articulated in a manner which makes them appear quite cheap, most Postmodern architecture expresses this point in the extreme. Is it really so culturally and socially unacceptable for the name of names to detail with any sense of lucidity, given the the costs associated with ornament are often red herrings in the argument against?

Last edited:

Trans_National_Place_1.jpg

A new rendering of the building by that master, Renzo Piano, as it would be seen from the head of Commonwealth Ave looking down Arlington St. Fully an equal of Drucker's past success at the Four Seasons.

Back