Silver Line - Phase III / BRT in Boston

Re: Silver Bus Line - Phase III

Absolutely pathetic!

And why does it take three years and cost $114 million to extend a bus route?

"The project will require new engineering, planning, and construction for dedicated bus lanes, changes in traffic signals, and fancier bus stops, buses, and stations."

They're going to paint the bus silver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

We're in the money! We're in the money! Woo hoo! I had no idea there are so many millions of dollars just sitting around waiting to be squandered! This is great news! I guess they aren't going to be laying off those 250 teachers after all!

Congratulations to Barrack Obama, Deval Patrick and Mayor Menino for steering us through this fiscal crisis so successfully! They must all be geniuses! I for one am grateful for their combined intellect.

Holy crap, people, cynical much?!

Yes of course everyone would like for the Silver Line to be a train. Until then, why not try to improve what we already have with money that we have available from the stimulus to do it?

Connecting the Washington Street Line directly to South Station via the surface isn't ideal, but it's a lot more doable than the controversial tunnel that almost everyone on this forum is opposed to.

Route 28 is one of the busiest bus routes in the city, in an area that is underserved by rapid transit. If we can improve that in the next few years, why not?

Of course the details are the hard part. We all know that. Physically separating the bus lanes and having prepayment are probably the two most important things that need to happen. The center bus lanes proposed on Blue Hill Ave I suspect will work better than the curbside lanes on Washington Street. Signal priority is also important, as are queue jumper lanes where separate bus lanes aren't feasible.

It's not perfect, but at least it's a step in the right direction. If you all really want to make this work, you should be diligent engaged citizens and follow this process as it unfolds. Hold EOT and MBTA to task and push for the best solutions with BRT. Don't just complain on a forum that they're incompetant and that a train would be better.

Bullshit.

$115M taken from the pockets of everyday workers/taxpayers and then transferring it to powerful unions to paint a bus line and play around with whether the bus stop sits on the side of the road or the middle of the road.

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

This is taking money from people who earn it and handing it over to powerful political allies for no good reason.

This is a total waste of money. Also, there's no way that this will be done on time and under budget. I love how the T expands without ever fixing their current problems. The first phase of the Silver Bus has failed on all its promised innovations over a regular bus route. Also, the bus shelters are very expensive and offer no protection from the elements.

pelhamhall, what about all the working people who depend on these buses every day of their lives?

Bullshit.
This is taking money from people who earn it and handing it over to powerful political allies for no good reason.

So are you opposed to all pork or just this project? Cuz if this gets your goat I would stay away from all history books, your head my explode.

pelhamhall, what about all the working people who depend on these buses every day of their lives?

Who rides the Silver Line?? Didn't they cut one of the lines because there was no ridership?

The only working people depending on these buses are the people who drive them.

Jane, I'm referring mainly to the proposed Silver Line upgrade to the current bus route 28. But there are certainly a lot of people who ride the Washington Street Line from their homes in the South End and Roxbury to downtown, workers who use the Waterfront Line to get from South Station to their offices in the Seaport District, and a ton of people who use it to get to the airport.

Have you ever actually ridden the Silver Line or are you just spouting your vitriol without any basis in reality? Every time I've ridden the Silver Line (either branch) it's been quite busy. Sure the Waterfront Line isn't busy all the time, but that whole area of the city is poised for some big development. Having the transit in place as that's happening makes a lot of sense, does it not?

Man, this forum is quickly devolving into the Boston Herald comments section...

Man, this forum is quickly devolving into the Boston Herald comments section...

There is only three or four of them but they have been very vocal lately. :rolleyes:

Poor people who ride the bus aren't real people, obvi.

[/sarcasm]

Here's the thing, building Bus-only lanes in areas with the highest bus ridership is a VERY GOOD USE of transit money. It is improving service right where you need it. The problem is when the MBTA gets all fancy and tries to sell it as rapid transit.

I have not ridden the Silver Line. The fact that I haven't ridden the Silver Line is telling, especially since I don't have a car.

Every time I see one go by, it is at best half full. What I also see are dazed and confused tourists at the Boylston St. station who get off the train looking for the Silver Line connection, which no one has told them is a bus stop.

It makes sense to have an effective and efficient transit system in place, not just any transit system. The Waterfront would be an ideal place to have light rail; it's development might be coming along faster in these seven years if it had had light rail.

No one wanted this bus from the beginning; it has always been regarded as a joke and a boondoggle.

the dedicated bus lanes could be a good start for a conversion to light rail in the next decade. If there are dedicated lanes with signal priority, laying track is only window dressing (but the mbta will f--- that up)

Every time I see one go by, it is at best half full. What I also see are dazed and confused tourists at the Boylston St. station who get off the train looking for the Silver Line connection, which no one has told them is a bus stop.

Apparently no one told them Dudley Sq is not a tourist attraction either.

Could be with a little work, though. Actors' Shakespeare Project are producing their next play, Much Ado About Nothing, at Hibernian Hall in Dudley Sq. It opens next week. I don't think this company has ever put on a show there before.

Other than that, the main reason a tourist might want to take the Washington Street Silver Line is to visit the SoWa district for its art galleries, its monthly First Fridays events, or its weekly Sunday open market.

My opposition is based on this: the current silver line through Washington Street is a costly failure. I lived there. I took it weekly. I know.

When I look at costly failures like this, I ask myself: "How best not to repeat this failure?"

Meanwhile, the Government is looking at this failure and saying, "Hmmm... how can we expand it?"

Do you know what would help the people who take the 28 bus? Double the service tomorrow. Use the money for that, not on expanded frivolity and failure.

Meanwhile, white, gentrifying Somerville is getting real rapid transit ASAP.

Segregation, fueled by buses. Does anything here ever change (for the better)?

A second class transit system for the second class citizens of what can only be a second class city.

This isn't a pork project, however it is pathetically overpriced and over budgeted for the time for what little construction and planning really is necessary to start operations. This plan should cost a quarter of what's being proposed, assuming use of the existing articulated fleet, and be completed within 18 months, not six years.

I believe this pared-down project is in fact supposed to take about 18 months. It's the full tunnel version that would take six years, and I hope has now been killed.

Every time I see one go by, it is at best half full.
What section are you refering to? I constantly hear complaints about how crowded it is in my neighborhood. The stop at Blackstone Sq has a large number of people getting on in the morning heading into town and the south bound side has a large number of people getting off heading to the hospital area.

I would like to see a breakdown of cost.

This page has more information but this whole project seems to be rushed.
http://www.eot.state.ma.us/default.asp?pgid=content/transit_direct&sid=about

The T was suppose to come to my neighborhood meeting last Tuesday to discuss problems with the silver line. The T person did not show nor call to say they wouldn't be there. This may have been because of this 'sudden' plan, but I find that kind of behavior indicative of the T.

We all complain about the T and all the other problems in Boston and Massachusetts. There is only one group that deserves the blame, us, the*voters. We elect the same people over and over again and then bitch about how things don't get better.

Back