Silver Line - Phase III / BRT in Boston

Yeah, a much better idea is a tram-train with an APS third rail. IMO, these are the future of urban mass transit, simply because of the reduced construction cost of digging tunnels for LRT, they have a less intrusive aesthetic presence than an EL or overhead wires, and a much more effective than buses or BRT.

For the lazy folk, here's the information that link leads to:

okay, but you can't have a bus that does it. I'd be satisfied if they just put some sort of guidance system in place in the tunnel. then it would be an efficient system. Another thing is that it's pretty stupid to have the buses running around the airport, under those overhangs without wires. it's a complete waste.

Yeah, a much better idea is a tram-train with an APS third rail. ....they have a less intrusive aesthetic presence than an EL or overhead wires, and a much more effective than buses or BRT.

Looks like a good system for a route along the RKG.

3-tram.jpg

Can we order some of that architecture for the RKG too?

Looks like a good system for a route along the RKG.

And the Seaport. RKG was the first example to come to mind, and then I realized it could eventually be used to replace the entire Green Line system throughout the Back Bay, as well as the Silver Line.

NIMBYs kill Route 28X project

Goooooooood job. I hope the 25 articulated buses on order go somewhere else. The #39 could use a few more (articulated buses after 9pm would be nice - especially on weekends), and #66 and #1 riders would greatly appreciate them.

?I explained this millions of times,?? Aloisi said this week in a phone interview. ?Sometimes we have to move quickly to get things done. But we are used to delay in this state. When you have people like me saying you had to act fast, people don?t know what do with that.??

This gives me hope that there are some sane people in government. Time to cut the rest of the fat out.

However, I really would like to know more about the "community" input here since this seems to backward to make any sense. It is seriously hurting my head and making me angry that some vocal minority has basically fucked over the most transit dependent neighborhood in the state.

What this tells me is that the government on all levels is failing the people of Boston. If the people don't trust the state to build this project, and the state can't pull it's head out of it's ass, and the mayor can't get anything done if it doesn't involve meddling with developers, then what hope is there? This was quite possibly the best deal Boston could have gotten in terms of transportation dollars and they fucked it up royally.

But along Blue Hill Avenue in Mattapan and Roxbury yesterday, riders who had not previously heard of the proposed project were astonished at the missed chance for stimulus cash in their community, where most residents rely on public transit.

Ummm.... so transit riders themselves get less of a say than a handful of jaywalking residents who think a concrete median is pretty?

In truth, extending "Silver Line"-like bus servive this way probably wasn't the best use of stimulus money. "Indigo Line" improvements and integration into the actual rapid transit system could potentially help this area much more - if only, as a start, to raise property values (buses generally don't have that effect).

Dreaming aside, the issue of community input here is actually key. Because ultimately the question is: where was community imput overall when Deval et al considered using stimulus money on ANY transit project? Why was there no process for vetting a choice? Why was this unilaterally decided?

Live from New York...

East Side speedway for buses: MTA plans quicker 1st, 2nd Ave. trips
BY Pete Donohue
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Wednesday, November 18th 2009, 4:00 AM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local..._quicker_1st_2nd_ave_trips.html#ixzz0XQX9ajBP

alg_mta_bus_queens.jpg

The Second Ave. subway project may be just inching forward, but the city and the MTA have big plans for an aboveground face-lift, too.

Bus-only lanes that would speed travel along First and Second Aves. are planned for September 2010, officials said Tuesday.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is buying dozens of super-stretch buses for the new service. Each big rig will have three doors instead of two, so passengers can get on and off more quickly.

One lane would be reserved for the megabuses on each avenue - uptown on First Ave., downtown on Second Ave. - running from 125th St. to Houston St.

The MTA also plans to install curbside MetroCard readers so riders can pay at bus stops, ending the torturously slow one-by-one shuffle of passengers past the onboard farebox.

And the city Transportation Department might place barriers along some stretches to keep cars and trucks from invading the bus-only lanes, officials said.

"The improvements ... will be the Bloomberg administration's next major contribution to a 21st century mobility system and world-class streets," Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan said.

Under Sadik-Khan, and with City Hall approval, the DOT has embarked on an ambitious plan to revamp streets to be more friendly to pedestrians, bikers and mass transit.

This year, Bloomberg banned traffic from sections of Broadway in Times Square and Herald Square and turned the strips into pedestrian malls.

The oases are popular with tourists and area office workers, but have drawn gripes from cabbies and delivery truck drivers.

The DOT expects to unveil detailed plans for the new East Side lanes next month. They also will include use of wireless technology to change red traffic signals green when the 62-foot buses approach, Sadik-Khan said.

Advocacy group Transportation Alternatives urged the city to be bolder with its plan for First and Second Aves. - pushing for two bus lanes on each artery with barriers along the entire route and separate bike lanes.

"First and Second avenues need a game-changer," Transportation Alternatives spokesman Wiley Norvell said. "With 58,000 bus riders, 3,500 cyclists and hundreds of thousands of pedestrians using this corridor, it's high time we designed a true 21st century street that serves everybody."

The East Side bus plan would be the second of its type in the city. The MTA and DOT jointly created the first one last year along the Bx12 route between northern Manhattan and eastern Bronx.

To prove they've paid, riders must show receipts when requested by MTA special inspectors, who have issued 5,265 tickets between August 2008 and October. The fine is $100.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local..._quicker_1st_2nd_ave_trips.html#ixzz0XQWxodMz

NIMBYs kill Route 28X project

Goooooooood job. I hope the 25 articulated buses on order go somewhere else. The #39 could use a few more (articulated buses after 9pm would be nice - especially on weekends), and #66 and #1 riders would greatly appreciate them.

Youve got to be fucking kidding me.

The current "neighborhood feedback" system is broken. The only people who go to these meetings are 87 year old ladies with nothing else to do and opponents.

The guy riding the bus to work every day does not have the time to go to this meeting to talk about how itll help him.

And fuck deval. Thats right, Im blaming Deval too. Look at NYC, theyre saying "this is what we're going to build, give us feedback if you want changes, but it's happening". Why couldnt that approach be taken here?

Where does it say that 25 buses are coming? I know new hybrid artics are coming next year, but theyre for the Sl4/5 service, not for the 28X service.

Current SL service is using the reserve fleet full time.

I'd say it's great to live in a city that can get things done.... but NYC has plenty of it's own problems. A big problem here is the state (Albany) can't do ANYTHING but waste time and enforcement of bus-only lanes with cameras needs legislation to be legal. Don't think only Mass has problems.

I'd say it's great to live in a city that can get things done.... but NYC has plenty of it's own problems. A big problem here is the state (Albany) can't do ANYTHING but waste time and enforcement of bus-only lanes with cameras needs legislation to be legal. Don't think only Mass has problems.

Youre right, NYC has the problem of Albany and the entire northern part of the state.

Luckily for us, western mass doesnt have much power. Yes, the politicians ponder to them and send money their way, but I havent hear of western politicians killing a project meant for the east.

Youve got to be fucking kidding me.

The current "neighborhood feedback" system is broken. The only people who go to these meetings are 87 year old ladies with nothing else to do and opponents.

The guy riding the bus to work every day does not have the time to go to this meeting to talk about how itll help him.

And fuck deval. Thats right, Im blaming Deval too. Look at NYC, theyre saying "this is what we're going to build, give us feedback if you want changes, but it's happening". Why couldnt that approach be taken here?

Where does it say that 25 buses are coming? I know new hybrid artics are coming next year, but theyre for the Sl4/5 service, not for the 28X service.

Current SL service is using the reserve fleet full time.

after reading the article this morning, i felt that this is just pure ignorance of what needs doing. Extending down Blue Hill would finally make a use for the whole project, and it would help a community that needs some help. Also, don't put those artics on the 66. Harvard St. doesn't need dead bikers.

Don't we have a whole host of transportation needs? Unclear to me why the state doesn't have another option in the hopper so that when they pulled the plug on this application they can concurrently submit another one . . .

I don't understand why people like trackless trolleys, it's just a bus.

I am reminded by this little article about trolley buses.
http://www.transit.stunningabsurdity.com/?p=217

I, for one, don't get how overhead caternary wires are aesthetically disruptive. I mean, compared to the fumes coming from diesel buses, overhead wires seem beautiful (and yes, this is my bias taking over, as I happen to like the look of overhead wires in a city).

Overhead wires don't damage the aesthetics of tree-lined Aberdeen Avenue in West Cambridge, where the #72 trackless trolley ends.

I love how quiet the trackless trolleys are and I don't find the overhead intrusive.

The way in which the wires are hung can really effect how "intrusive" they are. On Mount Auburn Street and Belmont Street the cross wires are hung across the entire road from pole to pole, while along Mass Ave the wire are supported by cross arms that only hang out over one lane. Aberdeen Ave is the least visible since one pole supports two cross arms and the median is completely lined with trees.

Ron's comment about the aesthetics of Aberdeen Ave reminded me of the following photo I took:
The only time the overhead ruins the aesthetics is when a tree falls on them.

This seems like the appropriate bus thread for this...

Interesting that while the state has largely squandered federal stimulus dollars for transit, other towns/cities aside from Boston are taking action:

Brookline seeking stimulus money to help fix the 66
Wicked Local Brookline
Posted Nov 24, 2009 @ 03:43 PM

Brookline ?

Given that her new Coolidge Corner apartment was on the same bus route as her Harvard Square office, Karen Yajnik figured she could look forward to a pretty straightforward commute.

But now, Yajnik, a marketing consultant who commutes by bus daily when not traveling, has had to schedule her entire workday around the peak rider hours on Route 66, when the packed buses bunch up and come three at a time, or not at all. Other times, she?ll go way out of her way to take the train to another bus, which often results in a shorter commute.

?You just can?t count on it,? Yajnik said. ?I know a lot of people who?ve done that and now drive because it?s just not worth it.?

Brookline transportation officials said they?re aware of the problem, and want to leverage the town?s authority over how MBTA buses use its streets to make the 66, the T?s sixth busiest bus route, faster and more reliable. And if officials act fast, the town could take advantage of roughly $5 million in federal stimulus money to do so.

?We?re going to see if there are ways the town can improve its own infrastructure, working with the MBTA and the state, to improve the experience for everybody,? said Brian Kane, a member of Brookline?s Transportation Board who also works as policy and budget analyst for the MBTA Advisory Board. ?It?s all about reliability. If the schedule says it?s every five minutes, it needs to be every five minutes.?

Kane and fellow board member Peter Furth, a civil engineering professor at Northeastern University, are heading up an effort to look at how stimulus money could be used to improve the route. Options could include the removal of underused stops, relocation of existing stops, curb extensions that allow buses to stop without pulling out of traffic, traffic signals that give buses priority and better signs.

Staff at the Boston Metropolitan Planning Organization are expected to issue similar recommendations in the coming weeks, but Kane said the town should study the options on its own. He expects to offer a recommendation by January.

?We?re just trying to position Brookline to make sure its needs and wants are reflected when the state makes its recommendations,? he said.

The 66 is one of 15 key bus routes identified for $4.6 million in stimulus funding, Kane said. Stretching from Harvard Square in Cambridge to Dudley Station in Roxbury, the 66 carries 11,000 riders per week on average, making it the sixth busiest bus route in the MBTA system.

Kane said that other unlike other routes, riders seem to use the 66 throughout the day, not just during rush hour.

?The boarding is steady all day long,? he said. ?It?s not a commuter route only.?

But Kane noted that while the 66 may drop off as many as 2,000 people in Coolidge Corner every day, it stops needlessly at other places where far fewer people board. As an example, he points to a stop located in front of a Stop & Shop gas station, less than a block from a more heavily used stop in front of the adjacent grocery store.

But the town also has little say over the large sections of its route that fall outside its borders, and that may be where some of the biggest problems lie. Though her commute starts in Brookline and ends in Cambridge, Yajnik said the worst part of the route is the long circuitous path through Brighton, something Brookline officials can do little about.

Kane said he also wants to see the Transportation Board spend more time on transit issues, which he said often plays ?ugly stepchild? to issues of parking and traffic.

?Given the number of people who already use this system to move through the town, we should spend more time on it,? he said.

Other board members said they would support the creation of a permanent committee, similar to the Bicycle Advisory Committee, to study transit issues and make recommendations to the full board.

Kane said he would present recommendations on stimulus funding and the 66 at the Transportation Board meeting on Jan. 28.

What do you think? Add your comments to this article at wickedlocalbrookline.com.

Neal Simpson can be reached at nsimpson@cnc.com.

From what I have seen, the 66 is the worst bus route as far as buses coming in bunches. There will be several times a day where you have 2 and 3 buses right behind one another and then a 20-25 minute gap, during peak hours.

Back