Skating Club of Boston/Studio Allston Redevelopment | 1240/1234 Soldiers Field Rd | Allston

datadyne007

Staff member
Reaction score
Steve Adams reports a Letter of Intent has been filed by The Davis Companies for demolishing the Skating Club of Boston and Studio Allston hotel to put up:
  • 1240 SFR (Skating Club site)
    • 535 rental units
    • 10,500 sf of ground floor commercial space
    • 220 parking spaces in underground garage
  • 1234 (Studio Allston hotel site)
    • 120 condos
    • 255 key hotel
    • 4,000 sf of ground floor commercial space
    • 110 parking spaces in underground garage (up to 185 vehicles with stacking system)

1580484434336.png

Is there a new strategy to not release building heights or # of floors that I am not aware of?

Is there a new strategy to not release building heights or # of floors that I am not aware of?

I don't think that it's typical to release the height of a building like this that won't exceed 10 stories...

And while the building will reach 22 stories along Soldier’s Field Road, Davis said he envisions it being about the same height as other, shorter, buildings in the works along Western Avenue.

The Skating Club of Boston isn't a public skating rink, it's a club with 600+ members per their website. There are public rinks in Southie on Day Blvd and in the North End on Commercial.

PNF:

I bet this is down to about 8 stories before it gets approved...

I sure hope not, the renderings are very nice, and best of all, there's 650 housing units proposed here. Not exactly familiar with the neighborhood, but it is located on Soldier's Field Rd, and from the map, it seems to be immediately surrounded by business type buildings and parking lots. So objections would be the usual, traffic, height, density, blah, blah, blah? Or possible shadows on the Charles during two mornings in Jan? ;)

Love the scale! Cool looking tallest! I sure hope it doesn't get chopped down like so many others. I love seeing these little "peaks" out in the neighborhoods.

Time to flood the commentary period with positive comments on how great this project is, because.. its actually great. In my opinion this is another high quality, visually appealing, useful project. I love the massing. Not too tall. Not too bulky. Not too skimpy. It is very very appropriate. With everything else going up in Alston, this will be a great addition.

Swinging the ax at any chopping of the height may be DCR objecting to shadows cast on recreational areas between outbound SFR and the river. Shadows extend beyond SFR for two of the proposed buildings for a significant part of the day, and there is language in the PNF hinting that the developer anticipates this could be an issue.

The line in the sand may be no significant shadows extending beyond the outbound lanes of SFR March-November.

1 Western Ave doesn't get enough ridicule, because it's terrible in a way that's subtler than some of Boston's more infamous buildings. They took five cheap apartment blocks, that on their own could go unnoticed, and stacked them atop one another in a gimmicky way such that you're forced to pay some attention to them. Materials and colors were dated-looking from the day it was completed. Probably in my bottom 5 for Boston.

With developments like these and clear urban landscape improving growth, Allston is going to continue to be the most "cool" and "interesting" part of Boston.

I'm curious as to why this is classed in the PNF as being in Allston and not Brighton? I have lived in both neighborhoods and my understanding is that everything west of Everett Street - where this project lies - is in Brighton and anything to the east is in Allston. The 176 Lincoln Street project, for instance, is west of Everett and is (correctly, I think) listed as being in Brighton.

Here is a link to a 2014 BRA map illustrating the Everett Street divide.

I'm curious as to why this is classed in the PNF as being in Allston and not Brighton? I have lived in both neighborhoods and my understanding is that everything west of Everett Street - where this project lies - is in Brighton and anything to the east is in Allston. The 176 Lincoln Street project, for instance, is west of Everett and is (correctly, I think) listed as being in Brighton.

Here is a link to a 2014 BRA map illustrating the Everett Street divide.

I lived in Brighton for awhile by Saint Elizabeth's, and I guess I always thought of the whole swath of land north of the Pike as "Lower Allston".

Edit: I guess Everett is the dividing line between 02134 and 02135. Huh.

Last edited:

Back