Somerville High School Renovation & Expansion | 81 Highland Ave | Somerville

Pointed this out to my gf as we drove by. She was shocked by how huge it is! "That's a SCHOOL?!?!?!"

What a great new high school
111D1E6C-22EE-4C2A-868E-E5B6C920BDA7.jpeg
34AD35C5-3851-4DC7-BE8D-5EB29A111866.jpeg
420EDF80-4082-4D3B-A583-58FFB67BC00A.jpeg

In 30 years, we're going to think this new building looks just as stupid as the 80s addition did to us now.

Also, why are the windows so small?

In 30 years, we're going to think this new building looks just as stupid as the 80s addition did to us now.

Also, why are the windows so small?
1. Most likely the school will have A/C and no need to open windows in hot weather.
2. More energy efficiency all around, without having to purchase super expensive glazing.
3. The artificial light rather than natural light from the windows will be better for the eyes overall.
4. Less space for kids to look out and day dream.
5. More wall space for whatever tech equipment will be needed per classroom.
6. Nothing to look out at, unless a massive amount of landscaping is in store.

I had higher expectations for this building, Looks like a prison, the decorative bars don't really help. Here's hoping that it'll all make sense when it's finished. Doesn't look like an inviting learning building at all.

The MSBA enforces a kit of parts approach to school design, in exchange for their funding assistance. That’s why you get the very institutional look, if a district doesn’t want to pay for all the extras (a la Newton North).

The MSBA enforces a kit of parts approach to school design, in exchange for their funding assistance. That’s why you get the very institutional look, if a district doesn’t want to pay for all the extras (a la Newton North).

Maybe, but Newton North is still pretty institutional. FWIW, this project is 130% the cost of Newton North, and it's not close to the most expensive U/C or proposed in MA:

Here's the site for the nearly $400M Waltham project, btw:

Newton North is looking like a freaking bargain these days. As a proud Newton South grad, the $56M the City paid to gut renovate/expand my school seems insane for what was basically an all-new facility by the end.

At least MA spends that money on high schools instead of high school football stadiums (or professional ones, for that matter).

Last edited:
Just watched the construction tour. Very impressive. So cool that vocational classes are integrated throughout the building. I hope that more students take a mixture of both academic and hands on classes.

Last edited:
I walked past the site today and saw two workers in a car with NH plates taking hits off a bowl before heading back in to the job. If a section of this building collapses at some point in the future, we have the Granite State to thank.

heh. im sure you're just playing around, but if you think the above is anything other than "business as usual" on sites ("adult" dunks with a few nips is even more common) then... well, i guess i won't ruin the fantasy. :)

Back