Somerville Infill and Small Developments

Plans for what's going on at Highland/Cherry:
http://www.somervillema.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2014-12-23 Plans (POST).pdf
zZlV53v.jpg

AXeEdW9.png

Plans for what's going on at Highland/Cedar:
http://www.somervillema.gov/sites/d...bmittal - 4-23-2015 - 290 Highland Avenue.pdf
ZngJYE9.png

HabWra6.png

Oh yes finally that Quik Mart is going bye-bye for good. What a blight on the neighborhood that thing was.

Solid, respectable infill. Also nice to see a few more commercial opportunities along Highland.

Ack... Well there goes my closest Zipcars. Oh well, it'll be nice to have some more food/retail options on Highland.

In case you haven't heard, the Social Security building might partially collapse . Elm Street is closed right in front of it, lots of traffic diversions in the area and 17 businesses are closed.

Also, apparently Roche Brothers has cancelled their Davis location.

Sick. Only thing like this Ive ever seen is Metelkova Mesto in Llubljana - well worth a Google image search. Former military barracks that squatters turned into a bunch of galleries, bars/live music places and a hostel. Definitely wilder than anything Massachusetts will ever allow, but pretty cool.

Forty more residential units seems like a lot in an already busy and dense neighborhood plus more retail and a restaurant. Seems to be the trend these days…pack ’em in.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, that area is not dense at all. It's not particularly active or vibrant either, this will certainly inject some life. Though I guess those who prefer areas to stay quiet and residential will be upset but West Somerville is becoming more urban with each passing day.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, that area is not dense at all. It's not particularly active or vibrant either, this will certainly inject some life. Though I guess those who prefer areas to stay quiet and residential will be upset but West Somerville is becoming more urban with each passing day.

I don't think it's sarcasm; I think it's just nonsensical NIMBYism.

West Somerville is fairly dense but it's by and large the older housing stock that brings the density. I guarantee you that more people will live across the street in each block of 20 two-family houses than in the 40 unit building on this site.

vwHmdAZ.jpg

This is by the same team working on the Art Park project on Mission Hill and feels pretty similar with the huge emphasis on landscape design. Both that project and this one are refreshing compared to most of what you see going up in Somerville.

Parts and Crafts being in there as a tenant is just a little extra on top, although the Artisan's Asylum proposal would have been awesome as well.

I'm not sure about this one. Those boxy masses at the top feel really out of place.

I like where they were going but I don't think they got all the way there.

If the bump outs are faced in a contrasting color/material from the white panels it should be ok. If they're also done in white panels it's going to be a problem.

And what's going up
muymLx9.png
Dear Somerville,
This is rancid. Is anyone on your design review board younger than 100 years old? You consistently disappoint me with an endless parade of this kind of shlock that I have come to chide as a nursing home aesthetic. May I suggest naming this The Geriatrica or Granny Flats? Please "get with it." Don't make me have to chide again.
Love,
Brad

Back