South Bay Center Expansion | Dorchester

^^^I can't even remember when it was, but sometime over the summer, I was biking down Boston Street and was pretty impressed by all the looming buildings you could see — previously, it was very much unapparent how close to Assembly the main segment of Boston Street actually was (I mean, if you thought about it, you knew it was close, but it just didn't feel close at all).

The Assembly-facing side of Boston street does have some very nice, older homes, though, so I would probably leave those alone. I think perhaps a targeted connection to Andrew Square or at least close to Assembly — by the big inflatable lock building — would help knit the area together... long term, a bridge over the highway.

I used to shop at the Home Depot at 59th St & 3rd Ave in Manhattan - worked fine with basically no parking at all.
Lot of that NYC stuff is not a useful comparison -0- not much in common between the South Bay area and midtown Manhattan

for example nearest Subway to South Bay is Andrew on the Red Line a good hike [1/2 mi line of sight -- probably close to a mile along actual pathways]

So that lack of access even makes comparisons with Assembly Sq to be a stretch

The Costco+Target+Aldi+Petco+others in Harlem is insanely popular.

And its not near the subway.

Lot of that NYC stuff is not a useful comparison -0- not much in common between the South Bay area and midtown Manhattan

for example nearest Subway to South Bay is Andrew on the Red Line a good hike [1/2 mi line of sight -- probably close to a mile along actual pathways]

Per Google, it's as half mile walk from Andrew to the Target/Home Depot, 0.6 mile walk to the movie theater. That's a reasonable distance to walk, though not if you are having to carry any large items, which are often the reason you might go to Home Depot in the first place.

Per Google, it's as half mile walk from Andrew to the Target/Home Depot, 0.6 mile walk to the movie theater. That's a reasonable distance to walk, though not if you are having to carry any large items, which are often the reason you might go to Home Depot in the first place.
Henry -- did you piece-wise the walk by actual paths which you can take from Andrew to the Home Depot -- there are limited places where you can cross the Southeast Expressway trench

Henry -- did you piece-wise the walk by actual paths which you can take from Andrew to the Home Depot -- there are limited places where you can cross the Southeast Expressway trench
Have you ever used Google's walking directions function? Yes, the half mile distance is following a walkable path.

Have you ever used Google's walking directions function? Yes, the half mile distance is following a walkable path.
Yes -- I just tried the line of sight and it was close enough to a half mile -- so I didn't bother with the details

Thanks for clearing that one up

It is half a mile walk to Andrew, and even shorter to Newmarket for the Fairmont Line. As to subway access in in Manhattan - distance from Home Deport depends on the line you are taking, or, even the Roosvelt Island Tram. Either way, no one here was saying to take away all parking, and the example was simply that having no parking at all works - so reduced or garage parking shouldn't be a big deal. There are also a lot more ways than just the subway access - cabs, ubers, friends, significant others, etc pickup from the curbside in front of the store.

Last edited:
The Costco+Target+Aldi+Petco+others in Harlem is insanely popular.

And its not near the subway.
This particular development has an enormous parking lot and a connection to the highway (FDR) and is blocks from several others + the triboro bridge.

“Major apartment complex planned for next to South Bay”
YI5K42AFOQI6TJ2BED2732R3SI.jpg

“The neighborhood around South Bay is changing fast. And next up could be an apartment building on Boston Street in Dorchester’s Polish Triangle that would include about 400 units.”

“Development firm Bass Realty on Thursday filed initial plans for the project with the Boston Planning & Development Agency, saying it wants to put a five-story apartment building on the site of a Verizon service center and a neighboring warehouse on Enterprise Street. Bass principal Chip Batchelder said he has owned the buildings since the mid-1990s as industrial property. But the area has changed so much over the years.”

“My use doesn’t fit in that neighborhood anymore,” Batchelder said. “It’s a natural to do housing there.”.......
Link

So, between Bass Reality's October proposal for around 400 housing units, and
this just announced Willow Baker's 239 residential units, we're talking 600+ new residential units for the Southbay area. Throw in the recently completed 475 units in the South Bay expansion, and, woohoo, we're up to 1100+ new residences!

It's sad how there used to be a vision for an 800' beauty over here, and instead we can't get anything taller than 6 stories.

Although on second look I think the tower's location was slightly different. Looks like it was by South Station, but in a zone that's only for like 350'. Was the FAA map just unavailable 20 years ago or something? I don't understand how this and Tommy's Tower were ever considered for even 1 second.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Bay_Tower

We should take that South Bay Tower, rename it the North Bay Tower, and put it on one of those empty lots by North Station.

It's sad how there used to be a vision for an 800' beauty over here, and instead we can't get anything taller than 6 stories.

Although on second look I think the tower's location was slightly different. Looks like it was by South Station, but in a zone that's only for like 350'. Was the FAA map just unavailable 20 years ago or something? I don't understand how this and Tommy's Tower were ever considered for even 1 second.

We should take that South Bay Tower, rename it the North Bay Tower, and put it on one of those empty lots by North Station.
Yeah the South Bay Tower is a completely different development than this and to be honest, was more of a concept than anything, similar to the New Herald Square project.

That isn't anywhere near this, that was over by the volleyball court and steam plant in the Leather District/Chinatown/South Station. Also, no developers wanted that land or bid on it, and the FAA isn't going to allow that height there, either.

Back