South Boston Infill and Small Developments

Re: South Boston Development

Too many big ugly beige boxes going up in Southie. The First+First townhouses demonstrated how a little bit of color can go a long way, but that lesson seems to have been lost on the majority of stuff being built at the moment.

Also, is that a parking garage going up on the corner by 345 D St?

^ Do we know what is going in here? Renders?

This approaches a minimalist sophistication Boston could use a lot more of. And it should be twice as tall, twice as dense—it's right across from a T stop!

a minimalist sophistication Boston could use a lot more of.

I disagree. Boston actually doesn't do so well with minimalism. ICA isn't really minimalism.

This reminds me too much of the misery that is One Park Street.

J3ySlDI.jpg

New England has never done minimalism well. Apple Store and JHT are notable exceptions. The only time you can get away with minimalism in Boston is if you do it really really well. No half-assing it.

The only time you can get away with minimalism in Boston is if you do it really really well. No half-assing it.

Well put. I would maybe replace the "in Boston" with "especially in Boston." Minimalism is too often the pseudo-academic, pseudo-cutting edge label slapped ex post facto onto your typical build cheap / value-engineering job.

Well put. I would maybe replace the "in Boston" with "especially in Boston." Minimalism is too often the pseudo-academic, pseudo-cutting edge label slapped ex post facto onto your typical build cheap / value-engineering job.

Agreed. Though I would maybe replace the "too often" with "most often".

Boston does happen to have the best minimalist tower on the planet dominating the skyline. So, there's that.

Banality trying to be hip. <shakes head and cries a bit>

cca

Looks like a re-used model from the early Prudential Center proposal.

14 stories will loom over this intersection.

Is the Cornerstone coming down? Or will this solely occupy the lot next to it?

Back