South Boston Infill and Small Developments

I'm confused - is this thread for all South Boston developments?

New project proposed for A Street and 3rd. I understand neighbors' concerns but honestly, more residential makes me more likely to want to live there, not less.

Developers eye West 3rd Street parcel for 160 residential units
By Patrick D. Rosso, Boston.com Staff

I saw this too.. Density complaints in the Broadway district are ridiculous. These people need to realize that they live in a CITY.

Very excited about this project. The A street experience has a lot of potential and this could be a huge step in the right direction, esp if the retail portion is done correctly.

Despite it's stupid name, West Square is one of my favorite residential low rises. It's going against the new one on Brainard Rd by Mt Vernon.

--Perhaps this year with all the new buildings we should have high-rise and low rise development categories?

Yes West Square is pretty rad. But no I don't think we need to split up categories.

I'm not familiar with these two projects. The first one on A Street - this is the gas station at the corner of A and West Broadway?? I thought that was a Mobil station, so I'm confused. Is the gas station closing? (I did rentals of that building behind the gas station and it was gross - notice the sliding glass doors that open to ... well, they don't because they've nailed wood across the entrances.

The second one - this is residential? What's with the weird window scheme? There aren't any windows looking off the back? Is that in case they build something where the parking lot is now?

^^ The gas station is staying. 45A is behind it. Very small residential project. No signs on the site.

41 W Second, being surrounded by parking lots is betting they will be developed in the future and did not want to have their tenants viewless. The W face is not the rear of the building. The rear and the garage entrance is off the alley on the S face.

Regarding the the Old Colony Development, could they have possibly sprung the extra expense for something more that two colors for the exteriors of these buildings? This is essentially a whole neighborhood here and they've made it look a monolithic, less-dense, more cheaply constructed version of what they've replaced: a public housing project. Ugh.

205 E St.
A proposal to raze the St. Augustine’s School and construct 34 condominium units in its place, was approved by the city’s Zoning Board of Appeals Tuesday.

The project had been before the board in November, but was deferred to allow for more community input.

The project was approved by the Boston Redevelopment Authority in November.

The proposal, part of the redevelopment of the St. Augustine’s Church, calls for the construction of two three-story buildings as well as the construction of two townhouses. Sixty-four parking spaces are also included in the project and four of the units will be affordable.

The units will include three one-bedroom residences, 22 two-bedroom residences, and nine three-bedroom residences.

The project received support from the Mayor's Office of Neighborhood Services, the office of at-Large City Councilor Stephen Murphy, the office of City Councilor Bill Linehan, the office of Representative Nick Collins, the New England Council of Carpenters, and the Paraclete School.

The project, which must still go through BRA design review, is expected to break ground by the spring 2014, with construction expected to last 14 to 16 months, according to Daniel.

By Patrick D. Rosso

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news...nits_between_three_projects_approved_for.html

301-305 West Broadway

By Patrick D. Rosso, Boston.com Staff

A project that promises to transform the corner of West Broadway and D Street in South Boston was approved by the city's Zoning Board of Appeals.

Proposed by South Boston-based developer Gregg Donovan, plans call for razing the existing one-story structure at 301-305 West Broadway and constructing a four-story building for ground floor restaurant space and nine residential units. The units will be divided between six two-bedroom residences and three three-bedroom residences.

As a result of the project, the four retail spaces currently located on the ground floor of the existing building will be eliminated.

The project, estimated to cost $2-million, was before the board Tuesday for a slew of variances including excessive height and insufficient setbacks. The project had previously appeared before the board in November, but was deferred to allow for more community input.

The project presented Tuesday varied from November’s proposal, which originally called for 12 residential units. The new proposal reduced the height and unit count, while also eliminating the 11 proposed parking spaces. The new plan has no parking.

The project received support from the Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services and two residents.

“I want to see West Broadway as a place where I can walk and shop,” said Julie Galgay, an East 5th Street resident. “Anything that improves the neighborhood I’m in support of.”

Representatives from the office of at-Large City Councilor Stephen Murphy, the office of City Councilor Bill Linehan, and the office of Representative Nick Collins also supported the project, but said they had concerns about its lack of parking.

Some residents did turn out to oppose the project.

“If this construction goes up, we will have to leave,” explained Tom Cipolla, who lives in the building adjacent to the property.

Howard Speicher, an attorney representing the owners of 307-309 West Broadway, said the project doesn’t conform to zoning and places a burden on existing residents.

“This is a proposal that proposes completely ignoring the zoning in this district,” said Speicher. “It unfairly imposes on the next door neighbor.”

The project is expected to break ground in the spring of 2014 and should take 14 to 16 months to complete. Donovan, after the hearing, said it has not been determined if the units will be rentals or condominiums.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news...nits_between_three_projects_approved_for.html

11 Dorchester St.

A project proposing 30 residential units for Dorchester Street in South Boston was approved by the city's Zoning Board of Appeals.

At the project's hearing before the board Tuesday, George Morancy the attorney representing the developer, Allure LLC, laid out the details of the $8-million residential project at 11 Dorchester St. The project was before the board for an excessive Floor Area Ratio.

The project area, which consists of two parcels contained by Dorchester Street, Dresser Street, and West First Street, is currently home to New England Auto Body and sits in a commercial/industrial area that borders a growing residential neighborhood.

The unit makeup for the proposed 45-foot tall building, will be three studios, 17 one-bedrooms residences, and 10 two-bedrooms residences.

An estimated 2,200 square-feet of ground floor space in the new building will be reserved for a restaurant.

Fifty-four resident parking spaces will be located in a partially underground garage, with the entrance on West First Street.

The project was approved by the Boston Redevelopment Authority in November.

At the project's hearing, it received support from the Mayor's Office of Neighborhood Services and the Carpenters Union.

A representative from the office of City Councilor Bill Linehan spoke in opposition to the project, citing the excessive Floor Area Ratio.

The project, which must still go through BRA design review, is expected to break ground by the spring/summer of 2014, with construction expected to last 14 to 16 months, according to Morancy.

By Patrick D. Rosso

West 2nd Street project in South Boston moves forward

3246616-121678.html

by Patrick Rosso
A controversial West 2nd Street project in South Boston has been approved by the Boston Redevelopment Authority and is expected to break ground in the spring of 2014.

The project at 340 West 2nd St., however, must still be approved by the city’s Zoning Board of Appeals. A hearing has been set for Feb. 11.

Proposed by Shamus Holdings LLC, plans call for the construction of a four-story building for 29 residential units, 1,000 square feet of ground floor retail space, and 43 resident parking spaces in an at-grade garage.

Of the 29 units, 18 will be one-bedroom residences and 11 will be two-bedroom residences.

The project, estimated to cost close to $12-million, has faced opposition from neighbors. At a September meeting for the project, residents criticized it for being too dense and located too close to the existing building at 350 West 2nd St. The new building would be built on an approximately 13,100-square-foot vacant lot.

Back