South End Infill and Small Developments

A somewhat different rendering, from the Herald. The materials on the protrusion rising from the nave look more industrial.

061215bra.jpg

Article
http://www.bostonherald.com/busines..._end_church_gets_city_ok_for_condo_conversion

My main takeaway from this photo is how awesome the new Harrison development looks in the rendering (behind church to the right). 600 new units + a retail square... this is like a mini little Seaport Square for the South End.

Thanks for sharing it.

My main takeaway from this photo is how awesome the new Harrison development looks in the rendering (behind church to the right). 600 new units + a retail square... this is like a mini little Seaport Square for the South End.

Thanks for sharing it.

Looking at streetview, I now don't find the buildout of the nave so objectionable. 1071 Washington (at the intersection of Traveler St.) is available for lease.
http://www.bostonofficespaces.com/commercial_buildings/1071-washington-street

This is a large one story building, the roof which appears at frame right in the rendering. This was the building where the telephone company repaired and stored payphones. 1071 Washington also includes the parking lot to the north behind the church. Within ten years this property (and others on the west side of Washington) will be developed, and mask most of the church. One will still see the front from Shawmut, but that's about all you will see. The church property does include the parking area with the green 'hedge' around it.

Wow are they really doing this to an old church? This is hate in the form of architecture.

So you're not a fan?
No.

I'm even less of a fan of it since I've found out from a friend, who serves on the Worcester Square neighborhood association's architectural committee, that this is being developed by by the same firm that developed Zero Worcester Square. They weren't too happy when the scaffolding there came down and the chintzy plastic exterior was exposed.

Saw today that the developer (David Goldman) won't have to include any "affordable" housing since zoning allows for him to build without relief.

He has, however, promised to pay $500,000 to the community.

^ May Goldman be forced to look at this garbage every day of his life.

I'm having a tough time finding it now, but one of the more recent articles had a render that looked a little better - the column kinda things on the glass portion looked more like they mimicked the stonework of the church.

^ May Goldman be forced to look at this garbage every day of his life.

If it wasn't for the ugliness of its surroundings I'd be delighted to come home to this every day ... but perhaps not for the next ~50 years.

I'm having a tough time finding it now, but one of the more recent articles had a render that looked a little better - the column kinda things on the glass portion looked more like they mimicked the stonework of the church.

It's not the renderings that matter, it's the finished product that does. The renderings of Zero Worcester Square made it look like it matched the existing block and like it would less obtrusive to the neighborhood. The end result was the opposite.

I think it looks neat and its less wasteful than tearing the whole building down. Get used to projects like these because more and more churches are going to turn into condos and restaurants as the population grows and religion declines.

Does anyone know what's going on at 32-36 Northampton St (next door to CVS, nee Liquorland)? There was an auto body shop attached to a small residential/commercial tenement-type building with a commercial first floor (most recently "Ron's Sandwich Shop"). I drove by the other day to see that they had been demolished recently. I can't find anything on the BRA site and could only find the demo permits on the ISD site.

Back