South End Infill and Small Developments

Transitional zoning would make total sense here. The phase 1 above could be your height location (maybe a developer also grabs that parking lot at Herald Street), and then transition down to heights of Dwight Street and beyond.
At the very least you could probably match the height of Eva White on Tremont. That might be enough depending.

Who owns Castle Square?

At the very least you could probably match the height of Eva White on Tremont. That might be enough depending.

Who owns Castle Square?
Castle Square is majority owned by its tenants, the Castle Square Tenants Organization (CSTO), and minority by Winn Developments. This manifests in databases as CSTO Winn Owner LLC. CSTO/Winn are also the current managers of the Eva White. In 2011 when Winn ceded majority control of the LLCs that own/manage the property to CSTO, and as far as I know all 500 units are low-moderate income restricted. Given that, I'm not sure what would need to happen before any redevelopment hits the table; I don't know that the tenants would be pro-densification. I wouldn't necessarily blame them; I wouldn't want to give up a townhome in this area.

Last edited:

Who owns Castle Square?
As of rights you get 70 ft. height, multi-family residential (which means some neighborhood ground floor businesses.)

Haven't been into any of the units, but I really like the post-war Parisian feel of Castle Square and Eva White, at least right along Tremont. The carriageway road and great little mix of businesses is decidedly not classical brick-era South End, but it's a nice little pocket of urbanism. Having parking tucked back off Tremont also helps. Church Park on Mass Ave near Symphony has a very similar feel, in my opinion.

Haven't been into any of the units, but I really like the post-war Parisian feel of Castle Square and Eva White, at least right along Tremont. The carriageway road and great little mix of businesses is decidedly not classical brick-era South End, but it's a nice little pocket of urbanism. Having parking tucked back off Tremont also helps. Church Park on Mass Ave near Symphony has a very similar feel, in my opinion.

I thought I was the only one who liked Church Park. Serious post-war Europe vibes on that block.

5/7:

593-595 Albany Street

O'Day Playground Renovations

Peters Park - Little League Field Renovations

85 West Newton Street

This project is on the former site of the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, built in 1899 and substantially rehabilitated in the 1980s as a cultural center. It recently fell into disrepair and was demolished in 2020. Since the site is now vacant, the proposed replacement building was allowed to be of a thoroughly modernist design despite being in a historic district.

Former church

New building

Theyre finally moving on that new building where the church was?!?! Wow its been years

1395-1405 Washington Street (33 units)

This morning:

This afternoon:

Site History

1814 (On the water)

1852 (As neighboring area is being built up)

1868 (Current buildings now extant)

1899 (During construction of the Washington St. Elevated)

2000s

New building

5/7:

593-595 Albany Street

O'Day Playground Renovations

Peters Park - Little League Field Renovations

85 West Newton Street

This project is on the former site of the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, built in 1899 and substantially rehabilitated in the 1980s as a cultural center. It recently fell into disrepair and was demolished in 2020. Since the site is now vacant, the proposed replacement building was allowed to be of a thoroughly modernist design despite being in a historic district.

Former church

New building

Those night shots are great!

Back