South Huntington Ave Infill and Small Projects

Holy hell, that lot was empty last Election Day (I spent the day across the street ..) and now that building looks almost completely finished on the outside. Fewer than ten months!

That white terracotta looks really nice - much better than I would've imagined.

Are we seeing a trend of moving away from prefabbed panels or is my memory being selective? This makes a huge difference regardless of the material.

No sign of retail up the block at serenity. I can't see that location being profitable unless its another flour.

Are we seeing a trend of moving away from prefabbed panels or is my memory being selective? This makes a huge difference regardless of the material.

Maybe a min-trend? I recall the "bricks" on the Yotel's exterior were hand-placed (albeit with adhesive), while the church next door got real masonry.

There have been a few other buildings recently that have chosen to go with more intricate facades.

That white terracotta looks really nice - much better than I would've imagined.

Not Terra Cotta (which is expensive), this is Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete panels that are sent from the factory in planks and installed with screws. Relatively high quality without the cost of Terra Cotta.

cca

Is that basically Hardi Board?

No ... hardy board is mostly wood fiber (sawdust) bound with small amounts of cement binding it. It is then painted. It is installed like clapboard with screws that then get touch-up painted.

GFRC is 100% cement with glass fibers acting as reinforcing. The cement is colored and the color is integral to the panel. The boards can be textured and often look like stone because of the slight shift in color form panel to panel (which is seen as attractive texture to most). It is installed with either face fastened screws that are color matched, or can have hidden fasteners. It comes in large format panels that can feel like cut stone, but this example has been produced in planks. A very popular application.

I would say that these two things are night and day when it comes to durability and overall performance. One is a product that should probably only be used for residential (houses, not large buildings), and the other comes at a price point that makes it right for commercial or institutional use.

Huh, I completely misunderstood what Hardie Board is. I for some reason thought it was mostly cement. Thank you!

Huh, I completely misunderstood what Hardie Board is. I for some reason thought it was mostly cement. Thank you!

Nope. Find a piece, and bend it over your knee. It will snap and make a terrible mess. You can then see the wood "aggregate" at work.

GFRC can be sawed and you can see it is cement through and through with a layer of plastic mesh that acts like rebar.

cca

Back