South Portland, Maine

I don't see substantial pushback from nearby residents because the entire development is replacing basically nothing. And it's situated on the other side of oil tanks and oil tankers offloading at the oil terminus (not busy but nevertheless still used), so somewhat hidden from view. However, an uncertain economy could factor on financing despite Southern Maine's demand for much more. How great would it be if giant Exxon just gave the city the land and left for good. Maybe there is a potential state barter for this to happen? Without that oil cargo facility, this piece of land is pure gold. Perhaps the state could buy that land and with this new valuation having increased substantially, they could sell it to a party that would build something that benefits more than just South Portland. Be creative.

I read somewhere that they have lowered the height of the tallest building in the zoning request to 140' which is around 12 floors which matches the structure to the far left in Tom's rendering.
Taking the Roux Institute strategy. Start with a taller height and then "compromise" down to the height you -really- wanted to build to. :)

Last edited:
I don't see substantial pushback from nearby residents because the entire development is replacing basically nothing. And it's situated on the other side of oil tanks and oil tankers offloading at the oil terminus (not busy but nevertheless still used), so somewhat hidden from view. However, an uncertain economy could factor on financing despite Southern Maine's demand for much more. How great would it be if giant Exxon just gave the city the land and left for good. Maybe there is a potential state barter for this to happen? Without that oil cargo facility, this piece of land is pure gold. Perhaps the state could buy that land and with this new valuation having increased substantially, they could sell it to a party that would build something that benefits more than just South Portland. Be creative.
Brilliant

Back