South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

It's possible, but I wouldn't put money on it based on that one render. Bertaux+Iwerks only worked on the the bus station, not the platforms and tower (Pelli Clarke) though you would suspect they'd share models if they're on this level of collaboration.

Capture.PNG

source : South Station Bus Terminal Expansion

No I'm not
I'm curious- what aspects will make the new SS bus terminal nicer than the transbay terminal? I was discounting the functionality/connectivity of both.

I think the SS bus terminal looks good based on the posted images, but materials, natural + artificial lighting, signage/wayfinding, circulation elements, indoor/outdoor amenities, and overall composition seem much nicer at the transbay. Definite knock against transbay for the lack of seating, but the lack of platform doors seems justifiable due to the bay's temperate climate and high frequency of service (less intercity coaches than Boston).

Those imbeciles designed bathrooms where the stalls arent big enough to fit your suitcase. WHEN WILL THEY LEARN. Tons of wasted space too.
It's also sad that it looks like they did not add any more public women's restroom stalls - the additional loos seem like they're for bus drivers.

I'm curious- what aspects will make the new SS bus terminal nicer than the transbay terminal? I was discounting the functionality/connectivity of both.......

Other than the most thrown TDs in history and the 7 Super Bowl rings, what aspects of Tom Brady's career make it better than Tony Romo's??????

When it comes to a transpo - if you discount functionality/connectivity, then you are throwing out raison d'etre. I love a beautiful buildings as much as anyone, but building onewhile dropping the ball on its function is a costly fumble. I congratulate the Transbay Terminal for losing the urban planning competition but winning the Architectural Digest centerfold competition. I would hope the SS Bus terminal at least raises its game a bit regarding the very understandable points you brought up.

But, when it concerns the largest and most important multi-modal transportation in a city, anyone who cares about urban planning will immediately tune out once they read "I was discounting the functionality/connectivity of both......"

Last edited:
Other than the most thrown TDs in history and the 7 Super Bowl rings, what aspects of Tom Brady's career make it better than Tony Romo's??????

I love the colorful analogy, though unlike Brady's career, the best is yet to come for the SS bus terminal.

To me, "nicest" as used in your original post connoted qualitative characteristics beyond raw functionality. I assumed you were also drawing a distinction between functionality and form.

Have they VE’d the arches on the train platforms?
This one has been bothering me so I did some research and it looks like they were using a (very) outdated render from the beginning stages of the project's design. If you look slides 8-10 in this presentation, you'll see that they used the first iteration. Thank goodness they redesigned it to what we're getting with the arches.

Last edited:
This one has been bothering me so I did some research and it looks like they were using a (very) outdating render from the beginning stages of the project's design. If you look slides 8-10 in this presentation, you'll see that they used the first iteration. Thank goodness they redesigned it to what we're getting with the arches.

Thanks for sending that presentation, there's a lot of images and renders in there that I hadn't seen before.

sst.PNG

sst1.PNG

sst2.PNG

How difficult are the following phases going to be? They seem like such small floor areas that it is going to be difficult to get their ROI back on what I assume are really complex structures..

This angle appears to be new, with the tower now showing and a more detailed look at the entrance. You can see the arches in the entrance also.
south-station_rendering_exterior_office_entrance_final_hresgif

https://www.hines.com/properties/south-station-boston

Does anyone else think this is really missing signage or SOMETHING that celebrates that this is THE major transportation center of New England?????

I'm hoping that the final version recognizes a sense of place and function more than this render does.

Back