South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

I wonder if we could focus on the architecture and engineering of this building. I don't want to diminish the suffering of unhoused people, and I think we all know about that. But I come here to talk about buildings. I go to other places to talk about social risk factors of urban living.

The conversation should probably happen in a different thread.

I agree this isn't a good place to argue general policy around unhoused people.

However, it does seem like parts of the design of the new station were done with unhoused people in mind. The open-air concourse specifically. They could have expanded the indoor space, added benches, and added restrooms. All of that could have made South Station more of a place, or at least a little nicer when waiting for a train. But all of those things could also attract more people the developers don't want around. Instead, they're building an outdoor concourse. It will be cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and the renderings show no place to even sit down if your train is late. I understand some of the merits of what they're building. But also, these are the design decisions you make if you want to keep unhoused people from using your new space.

I agree this isn't a good place to argue general policy around unhoused people.

However, it does seem like parts of the design of the new station were done with unhoused people in mind. The open-air concourse specifically. They could have expanded the indoor space, added benches, and added restrooms. All of that could have made South Station more of a place, or at least a little nicer when waiting for a train. But all of those things could also attract more people the developers don't want around. Instead, they're building an outdoor concourse. It will be cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and the renderings show no place to even sit down if your train is late. I understand some of the merits of what they're building. But also, these are the design decisions you make if you want to keep unhoused people from using your new space.
I think that's a reasonable discussion point for this thread, where a social issue intersects with design choices. But the general topic probably belongs in its own thread, as @Blackbird has suggested.

Last edited:
D37652FA-526E-4BC1-BED3-7A186C7E2689.jpeg
CD362D23-239A-49D8-B180-BD964B46A55B.jpeg

I do love those arches, and can't wait to see the final, vaulted ceilings.

The floorplate of the tower will likely cover the entire track area, but it will still be open on the sides. See below:

1680894812516.png

This tower has had notoriously few renders released over its lifetime. Finally something new has come out.
dboxhinesbss09south-approachingfinal.jpg

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/...lton-added-to-major-boston-tower-project.html
Strange that it's a new render but still doesn't include Winthrop tower. Anyway, this will dominate the skyline from the south and really add to it all around as it is tall enough (I think, though I don't know if there have been renders from the north or west) hopefully to be noticeable from most angles. I've been anxiously awaiting this one since the rumor mill started, what, a decade ago?

Strange that it's a new render but still doesn't include Winthrop tower. Anyway, this will dominate the skyline from the south and really add to it all around as it is tall enough (I think, though I don't know if there have been renders from the north or west) hopefully to be noticeable from most angles. I've been anxiously awaiting this one since the rumor mill started, what, a decade ago?
16 years from initial proposal to breaking ground.

In addition to Winthrop and One Congress, this crowns with light too, no? That's three 600'ers with significant lighting. Might be more of an addition to the night skyline than the day.

Having seen it a few times in person at night I wouldn’t go so far as to qualify Winthrop’s crown lighting to be “significant.” It’s better than nothing. One Congress, however, is stunning at night. Hopefully SST will be, too.

The floorplate of the tower will likely cover the entire track area, but it will still be open on the sides. See below:

View attachment 36293
Thanks, but I've been comparing that rendering to the photos people have posted. It looks like the outer arches are being built where the metal pillars have been erected, and that the arches themselves will be smaller (judging by the height of the angled metal braces and the fact that the metal pillars butt up against the bus terminal).

If you count the number of windows on the existing station in the render, it seems there are fewer in the outer sections than in the middle. It also just looks like the first arch is narrower than the middle one if you inspect it closely.

In fact, look at this:
image-asset-1.jpeg

Perhaps that rendering of the arches is out of date?

Last edited:
At least they are using beams & girders to support the floors & not floor trusses!! :)

Perhaps that rendering of the arches is out of date?

It does seem like it is when compared with this post from the missing link. The arches in the first pic line up what is being built now vs the second pic which are more gumdrop shaped. My bet would be they end up like the first vs the second option.

Seems like the design for the arches might have returned to the "initial concept" design seen in previous renders.

1B4103EE-635C-4113-8DFF-6C85B4EA819D.png

For comparison purposes, I've included the other render for the "developed concept" design.
F76FBC5A-0920-4280-A888-F3B0001CAA7D.png

I remain convinced that the finished arches aren't going to be nearly as soaring and majestic as the renders. . .

I remain convinced that the finished arches aren't going to be nearly as soaring and majestic as the renders. . .
The renders always seemed to have way too much light relative to what is likely possible here. (A pretty simple trick in renderings.)

Back