South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Genuinely curious - anyone know what's with the fits of the guys in the crosswalk?
Religious Habits. If I had to guess an order given grey habits and beards, I'd say Franciscan, which are relatively rare. (And Franciscans are usually in brown). Most of the MA abbeys are Benedictine (who wear black) or in the case of the Trappists, Cistercians (who typically wear black over white).

Last edited:
Religious Habits. If I had to guess an order given grey habits and beards, I'd say Franciscan, which are relatively rare. (And Franciscans are usually in brown). Most of the MA abbeys are Benedictine (who wear black) or in the case of the Trappists, Cistercians (who typically wear black over white).
The direction they're walking would lead them to the Franciscans' St. Anthony's Shrine on Arch St.

Today (6/16):

sst-56-1.jpg

Looking tall and sleek. Great shot!
I think what we are seeing is that if the creases in a facade are sharp enough, and the creased facets of the facade are proportionally wide enough, then there's a strong slimming effect because you've got a large percentage of the facade in dark shadow compared to the other part(s) of the facade. From most angles, this tower will never look "full width."

I actually don’t mind the gaps. I like how they lined up the seams in the arch with the ones in the vertical panels. Excellent precision.
They arch gaps appear to mimic the arches on the original South St. facade — a nice nod to the history of the building IMO. I appreciate those small details.

I believe they are Little Brothers of St. Francis, on of many off-shoots of the original Franciscans. They serve the destitute and poor among us.

The 2nd floor facade (in the second to last image) is temporary correct? I’m curious as to how the new arches interact and connect with the modern tower.

So as captured in other photos this week, but more apparent this morning, they’re finally starting to clad the end that noses SE. Oddly though, they started at the transition point to residential….

Attachments

• IMG_2264.jpeg
    IMG_2264.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2263.jpeg
    IMG_2263.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2262.jpeg
    IMG_2262.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 97

Back