South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

I disagree. I think it is imperative that such an important transportation link be connected to as many modes of transportation as possible and South Station is at the top of the list. When I take the bus to Boston I am glad that without even having to go outside (well, outside of the facility) I can connect to almost anywhere in the region (even the world if I take the Silver Line to Logan.) My foot doesn't have to touch the ground.

I wouldn't say you are wrong to think it isn't ideal, after all we do have 3 major train stations in the city. It probably would make sense for a bus terminal at Back Bay station as well.

My concern is that it needs to be expanded and that was a major part of the SST plan. The Postal building can move and the railroad platforms can be expanded into the space with enough spacing to allow for new development but the bus terminal is different, though just as crucial.

The central bus terminal at South Station is a huge improvement over the several scattered terminals that it replaced (Trailways in Park Square, Greyhound on St. James Ave, Bonanza at Back Bay Station). It makes life easy for people who are transferring between buses, or who want to make a last-minute decision on which bus carrier to ride to NYC, or who are transferrring to or from commuter rail, subway, Amtrak, or airport.

It is clean and well-maintained, unlike any of its predecessors. Its only disadvantage is that it is now beyond capacity, and it can't accommodate the new Megabus doubledeckers (who have had to move to Back Bay Station). I assume the issue here is low clearance. I don't know if the proposed expansion would have fixed that problem or not.

Last edited:

It is clean and well-maintained, unlike any of its predecessors. Its only disadvantage is that it is now beyond capacity, and it can't accommodate the new Megabus doubledeckers (who have had to move to Back Bay Station). I assume the issue here is low clearance. I don't know if the proposed expansion would have fixed that problem or not.

The Megabus move was all about the clearance issues, though from a purely selfish standpoint it makes it a lot easier for me to reach it. :)

ScottVanVoorhis said:
In a city where the development bureaucracy has a hard time getting even simple, slam dunk projects done, this one simply has too many moving parts to it.

Someone probably mentioned this before, but the parallels between all these moving parts here (private developer building a massive complex over a rail station, adjacent gov't land becoming available for development) is extremely similar to what's going on down at NYC's Penn Station.

There, the next-door Farley Post Office will become an extension of Penn, while Penn and its above ground complex (including 2 Penn Plaza and the Garden) would see massive redevelopment. But just like here in Boston, nothing's happening due to all the moving parts.

T
Its only disadvantage is that it is now beyond capacity, and it can't accommodate the new Megabus doubledeckers (who have had to move to Back Bay Station). I assume the issue here is low clearance. I don't know if the proposed expansion would have fixed that problem or not.

Ron, I rode the megabus twice this weekend and was talking to the driver about that.

He said the bus is 13'2, while South Station has a max of 12'8.

However, the reason for this isnt the ceiling, but a couple of pipes. He said that there are plans to move the pipes so that megabus can return to south station.

I think a central bus terminal in Boston is awesome, and new york should build one for themselves. Waiting on the sidewalk is fine if its a nice day, but in the rain or snow...no, especially if you have no idea where the bus is. South station has screens showing bus arrivals, and a food court to keep you busy while you wait.

Doesn't New York's Port Authority act as a central bus terminal but unlike boston, the city doesn't require bus operators to use it?

Please someone correct me if im wrong that was the impression i was under.

Doesn't New York's Port Authority act as a central bus terminal but unlike boston, the city doesn't require bus operators to use it?

Please someone correct me if im wrong that was the impression i was under.

It cant be very good if none of the major operators that do the boston-nyc trip use it (boltbus, megabus, luckystar, fun wah)

Non of them want to pay the fee's associated with loading/unloading. ^ They are all low cost carriers. In Boston, South Station is forced on them, not out of choice.

The PABT is used more for long distance and commuter buses. Also it is a complete pit. The South Station bus terminal is a work of art next to it.

Megabus returned to South Station on Monday. I guess they were able to fix whatever low-clearance problems their double deckers had previously encountered at South Station.

Megabus returned to South Station on Monday. I guess they were able to fix whatever low-clearance problems their double deckers had previously encountered at South Station.

I was excited when i noticed this thread was updated, thought the project was proceeding...... so disapointed

I was excited when i noticed this thread was updated, thought the project was proceeding...... so disapointed

Well, the tower, which includes the bus station expansion was supposed to pay for the modifications (various pipes had to be moved to raise clearances)

This is the third "dead" thread I saw revived today and the secnd that was a letdown. The third (Filene's) was both a letdown and infuriating.

Oh, Boston, you give me hours of pleasure ...

I found a treasure trove of Boston Redevelopment Authority files on the http://openlibrary.org website.

Here's just one tasty treat, circa 1989:

technopolis.png

There are 700 reports on the site.

http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL1985849A/Boston_Redevelopment_Authority

I'm so happy I don't have to be up tomorrow morning.

South_Station_sports_arena.png

"South Station Sports Arena"? And, with a 1975 estimated completion date?

Yeah I've seen a few old BRA maps with a stadium behind South Station.

Then:

so_station1.png

Now:

so_station.png

In the old photo, the building on the left, forefront, closest to camera, is the building next to the Fiduciary Trust building.

fiduciary.png

so_station2.png

so_station3.png

1. Don't post in threads unless you have relevant information

2. Nice job distorting the truth by posting a 1920 picture at 5:05 on a monday and then a picture at 8:30am on a sunday, even if the point might be somewhat valid.

I thought there was actually news on this.

Back