South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

This still needs BCDC approval, right?

The render from the Greenway and the render from the harbor do not show the same design (northern face is largely squared off in one, fully rounded in the other)...

...in the "new" Boston skyline, it will be the "historical" equivalent of a 1 Financial or Pregnant Building. (certainly fat like Preggers)...

Though I do have a soft spot for the (former) Bank of Boston tower, One Financial might be the most forgettable thing that Pietro Belluschi designed. I think we can set the bar a bit higher.

...since it's working within tight FAA constraints, I don't hold this one to as high of a standard as I would, say, North Station. (Blech to those towers!!!)

The North Station tower proposals are both repulsive. Height has nothing to do with my distaste for Pelli's 677' sleep-aid.

The negative feedback for this would be better served focusing on sites that could potentially eclipse the (tower formerly known as the) Hancock.

I'm quite sure I'll be heaping scorn on the proposals you've listed as details become more clear.

Due to the airport we'll never get the visual game-changers in the heart of downtown...

Of course, but there are may ways to enhance a building's visual interest and personality, and Pelli has done exactly none of those things. The flat, inert glass facade only serves to make this tower look fatter. Ribbing, in dark metal, terracotta, or stone could make this scheme appear taller and thinner. It's a game of proportion, color, and depth of field.

As I think about this, I'd have preferred a design that made reference to the lost train-shed, with dark metal ribs rising up the facade. Without adding an inch of height, this would be a great spot to "make the engineering visible." Think 21st Century update of Victorian-era engineering, elegant in its utility and visually striking. The public spaces could be imbued with the same aesthetic. I think a scaled-down version of Norman Foster's First and Mission tower in San Francisco, executed with dark ribs and clear glass, would be just the thing.

Last edited:

As I think about this, I'd have preferred a design that made reference to the lost train-shed, with dark metal ribs rising up the facade. Without adding an inch of height, this would be a great spot to "make the engineering visible." Think 21st Century update of Victorian-era engineering, elegant in its utility and visually striking. The public spaces could be imbued with the same aesthetic. I think a scaled-down version of Norman Foster's First and Mission tower in San Francisco, executed with dark ribs and clear glass, would be just the thing.

I think the aesthetic direction you propose would look great at South Station.

I think the aesthetic direction you propose would look great at South Station.

JeffDowntown -- that might make sense if the Train Shed was recently "lost" -- but in actuality the Train Shed [circa 1904]
1904-South-Station.jpg
spaceout.gif

spaceout.gif

has been gone for the vast majority of the history of South Station -- so that only someone who was cheering when Babe Ruth was pitching at Fenway for the Red Sox would remember the Train Shed
[circa 1930 from United Shoe Machine Bldg]
6008644729_750a1a5f12.jpg

shortly after [circa 1935] being removed
14295895407_8e0af8f107_o.png

[circa 1936 no more shed]
content

So its been a non-fixture of the building for 80 years

Last edited:

If they didn't have a problem finding a tenant, they would have found one already. You think a developer would prefer to build on spec over having a tenant?

Why not propose 2000 residential units at this point. If there is so much demand in real estate 2000 extra units on the market should bring down rents.

It's amazing the NIMBY didn't kill this one, it being built on the station and all.

It's amazing the NIMBY didn't kill this one, it being built on the station and all.

Boston needs to start building taller (especially for residential) on the major transit hardrail lines or the overall scenario for the public will be
--welcome to East Coast LA--

Boston needs to start building taller (especially for residential) on the major transit hardrail lines or the overall scenario for the public will be

Buy property now. Fuck everyone else.

Riff -- Have you ever been to any part of LA except for maybe LAX?

In LA County you are known by your exit on the relevant Freeway and often by the Freeway intersection such as
"I live 2 min from the Four Oh Five with the One Ten --- where do you live?"

the 405 is in red -- everything else in Blue is essentially an Interstate or equivalent in size and form
220px-California_Interstate_405.svg.png

1152px-California_Interstate_and_State_Route_110.svg.png

[the One Ten is in red

Here is the junction which handles almost 1/2 Milion vehicles per day
3859933237_87754f52c5_b.jpg

There is no way Boston could become anything like LA even if there was a full-throttle commitment from everyone

Last edited:

^ Indeed.

A tower with this sort of materials palate and level of detail (with flatiron shaped floorplates) would look quite handsome.

Whigh.... i suppose you could put a label like that for people who live in the South Bay. Otherwise, Geez. btw, it's the 110, 605, 710, 91 (the west part of it anyway), 57 (and Beach Blvd) that makes life in LA and Orange County possible.

As for art deco-y modernistic at South Station. Why? There surely are appropriate places to do that, and we should embrace it. i doubt South Station is it. This is going to be multi-use, innovation w/ lots of engagement for visitors, etc. The connectivity to some old thing died long ago. Frankly, amen to that. We have the nice station wall. It can become a very good train station. Without equal outside of New York. Maybe nearly on par with Ogilvie Station. In some ways, maybe better.

Hope this version is dead. Looks way too much like a raised middle finger saying " F you, Boston!"

Now that you put it like that, I think this design perfectly captures the spirit of Boston.

Hope this version is dead. Looks way too much like a raised middle finger saying " F you, Boston!"

Ummmm I'm pretty sure this is exactly what we are getting, except probably without the greenery towards the top.

Is there any design for a tower that doesn't relegate the station to being a chair rail? Perhaps putting the tower over the bus depot?

Back