South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

I thought so too. I don't know what's the deal with all these damn hearings!!!

I thought so too. I don't know what's the deal with all these damn hearings!!!

Customers at the historic McDonalds inside South Station are concerned about the shadows SST may cast...

Funny, I actually interpreted this to mean shovels in the ground in March.

^ me too - and I thought it was because something was expiring (e.g., had to start by Spring '17 or their original filing with the BRA will have lapsed...there was a 10-yr period of validity to it). Or maybe in Boston, "start" means OK I'm really talking about starting now.

Since the design has changed since the original BRA approvals, they probably also have to update their zoning variances from the Zoning Commission. That is always a separate process from the BRA, and usually one of the last (the Zoning Commision wants to approve the real, final variances needed for the final design).

This probably means they are about to start.

^ me too - and I thought it was because something was expiring (e.g., had to start by Spring '17 or their original filing with the BRA will have lapsed...there was a 10-yr period of validity to it). Or maybe in Boston, "start" means OK I'm really talking about starting now.

"Start" in Boston also means 2 more years until it starts going vertical. We'll be extremely lucky if we see any steel on this one before 2020. Of course at that point there will very likely be another bust, so then we can wait another 10 years for nothing to happen.

As a PDA, there are no zoning variances required. In any event, variances are granted by the Zoning Board of Appeal, not the Zoning Commission. The changes required to underlying zoning are approved in the PDA Development Plan approved as part of the approval of a PDA project. PDAs and PDA amendments require approval of both the BPDA and the Zoning Commission. The BPDA previously approved the PDA amendment, but apparently it had not yet gone to the Zoning Commission.

"Start" in Boston also means 2 more years until it starts going vertical. We'll be extremely lucky if we see any steel on this one before 2020. Of course at that point there will very likely be another bust, so then we can wait another 10 years for nothing to happen.

The foundation work for this is already finished, so once "work" starts it'll all be vertical. This should rise like Avalon North Station or The Merano, which were also built on existing footings.

The foundation work for this is already finished, so once "work" starts it'll all be vertical. This should rise like Avalon North Station.....

I went back and looked at the timing on Avalon NS. It looks like it took about 5-6 months to start going vertical. I feel like I read somewhere that we wouldn't see steel on SST until 2018. Still, I guess 1 year is better than 2. It just feels interminable when we have so many large projects on the table, yet so few in the sky.

The foundation work for this is already finished, so once "work" starts it'll all be vertical. This should rise like Avalon North Station or The Merano, which were also built on existing footings.

Wow really? I was under the impression that there was a lot of work to do on on the foundation and nothing would be noticeable for years.

I believe this one has to break ground by April 1 or they lose permits or something to that effect. Too much at stake. Be ready this ones going to happen

As someone who is for about 80%ish of projects on here, i am very against this one. No i will not have a shadow over me from it when it will be built. My problem is how uninspired that architecture is compared to other large new developments (govt center garage). The building totally does not play well off of the station when it should be a gateway to boston building.

Given the lack of major tenants moving to boston (about 3-4 maybe on the horizon), i do not see the demand to fill every new major development. If i was dictator, i would allocate the office space to other high rise buildings. Obviously that isnt how it works but that's my preference .

As a PDA, there are no zoning variances required. In any event, variances are granted by the Zoning Board of Appeal, not the Zoning Commission. The changes required to underlying zoning are approved in the PDA Development Plan approved as part of the approval of a PDA project. PDAs and PDA amendments require approval of both the BPDA and the Zoning Commission. The BPDA previously approved the PDA amendment, but apparently it had not yet gone to the Zoning Commission.

Good clarification. I always get confused between the Zoning Commission and the Zoning Board of Appeals. PDA's in Boston are such odd ducks. (A PDA is essentially a massive, City sanctioned, zoning variance in its entire plan.)

Back