South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Just saw the wikipedia page for "tallest buildings in Boston" and it just updated SST's notes in the last couple of days and says "project put on hold". Does anyone know why that is or what it means? How can that be if construction will start in 1 month's time???

That just means that someone who hasn't been following this project that closely hasn't seen the news about the tower and updated it based on the assumption that it must be on hold.

That just means that someone who hasn't been following this project that closely hasn't seen the news about the tower and updated it based on the assumption that it must be on hold.
I believe ANYONE can add to or edit Wikipedia entries to update them and improve accuracy. Try it and let us know what happens.

^^Someone seems to long on ambition for contributing information to the site,
but short on accurate information, or a basic clue--about the changes they're making.
Why doesn't one of you smart people step in?

buildings to add to tallest list.
(the codec for numeric ordering takes much care)

11. 50 Sudbury residence tower 547' having topped

T16. Hub on Causeway Office tower 509' (near as makes no difference) topped .
*it is 509'
**it's certainly inferior in height to Exchange Place,

added to u/c list
SST site prep (more or less)

removed from proposed/approved list
change South Bay Tower to 300' X 2 site determined to be limited to 300' per FAA
the drunk zamboni driver who added it will hopefully see his/her folly
and find another hobby

SST (removed)

tallest by neighborhood
Hub Office is the new tallest in the West End

Anybody know why the South Bay Tower was in there in the first place? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Bay_Tower

It says the proposal was renewed in 2016. I can't find anything on this tower on Curbed or anything, just some shitty renderings. What's the potential for this site?

Myself and a few others are pretty adept at keeping transportation (especially transit) articles about Boston updated. (There's a few that I need some heavy work on, especially the GLX, but overall I think we're doing okay.) However, there isn't a matching group of editors maintaining articles about buildings and developments - it's very haphazard. If anyone wants to start changing that, I'll be glad to help you and show you the ropes.

Anybody know why the South Bay Tower was in there in the first place? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Bay_Tower

It says the proposal was renewed in 2016. I can't find anything on this tower on Curbed or anything, just some shitty renderings. What's the potential for this site?

The article is accurate - Baker asked for development bids on that site in 2016 and didn't get any. It wouldn't have looked anything like South Bay Tower, though (which far exceeded the FAA height limit - it would never have been built anyway).

For the discussion on that site, see:

I’m not good with Wikipedia but someone should also update Boston’s listing for the page for cities with buildings over 150 meters. I think it lists 21 and I believe there are currently 24 including second hub on causeway.

We now know for sure this is a go - onlyinbos Instagram has posted a render and notes construction is due to start next month and take 4 years. Everyone who commented on the post is ecited and loves the design.
The funny thing is that on their tweet about it, the comments are all negative. I guess there is a very different group of people on Instagram vs. Twitter.

News: "Boston is choking on traffic congestion."

BPDA: "We just approved ~1000 parking spaces to be built on top of South Station."

Ummmm...

Not that this affects your ideological argument, but the BPDA approved this project in 2016, years before the news said anything about congestion.

Oh?

Greater Boston is the sixth-most-gridlock-plagued urban area in the country, and it's costing you a lot of time and money.
The average driver in the region spends 64 hours a year — a workweek-and-a-half — stuck in traffic. That's twice what it was in Boston just 30 years ago, adding about $1,400 a year to the average commuter's costs.

HUGE EXPANSION of information on the project!!
There are now several linked websites

with:
  1. Renderings of the Tower & Bus Station
  2. Videos of walk-throughs from different perspectives
  3. Construction schedules, diagrams and an animated construction video
Lot's more material to be digested and ruminated over -- and over -- over the next approximately 5 years
south-station-bus-terminal-expansion-rendering.jpg

Existing+Conditions.png

One take-away -- the foundation work looks to be quite intensive but limited to just a few places
2nd take-away -- Tower itself doesn't start to rise until mid 2022
3rd Takeaway -- whole thing should be done mid 2024
Month+6.png

Month+12.png

South-station-concourse-rendering.jpg

Nice finds, Whigh! And while all this construction is happening, this damn thing needs to go! What’s the damn hold-up here?
56ACE091-4137-4F90-A372-A709DB2525EA.jpeg

HUGE EXPANSION of information on the project!!
There are now several linked websites

with:
  1. Renderings of the Tower & Bus Station
  2. Videos of walk-throughs from different perspectives
  3. Construction schedules, diagrams and an animated construction video
Lot's more material to be digested and ruminated over -- and over -- over the next approximately 5 years
south-station-bus-terminal-expansion-rendering.jpg

Existing+Conditions.png

One take-away -- the foundation work looks to be quite intensive but limited to just a few places
2nd take-away -- Tower itself doesn't start to rise until mid 2022
3rd Takeaway -- whole thing should be done mid 2024
Month+6.png

Month+12.png

South-station-concourse-rendering.jpg

Wow, thanks!

Globe issues dire warnings
of the end of the world as we know it:

To be fair; this is going to be complete insanity. Tens of thousands of angry people are going to want
State officials' heads. If that isn't enough, imagine if they'd gone forward with all the Air Rights parcels near Mass Ave. People would be railing at lawmakers that it's (truly) the end of Boston.....

Last edited:
To be fair; this is going to be complete insanity. Tens of thousands of angry people are going to want State officials' heads.
Imagine, for a moment, the difficulties of razing New York's Penn Station, erecting 2 Penn Plaza and Madison Square Garden, and still maintaining "normal" passenger rail service. If that could be done in the 1960s, the South Station project shouldn't represent the end of the world today.

Back