South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

A variation of this design would have been awesome. I think glass, if done right, here looks awesome with the contrast of the base of the station. I think height on this one was an issue so lower it and thin it a little. Then make it more round than boxy.
oldss.jpg

Go visit Philly.
The new Philly towers are insane garbage.

Which ones specifically are you referring to? How "new" are you referring to? The new Comcast is bad, and the W Hotel has that horrible blank wall, but the FMC Tower is perfectly acceptable. I also love the Liberty Place fraternal twins if you are considering anything post 1985 (ie post exceeding Gentleman's agreement) as still "new."

'It’s going to be a mess’: South Station riders brace for serious disruption

Construction of a huge tower, new fare gates, and a major highway project combine for a potential commuting nightmare.

And the suburban skyline afficionados(fka height fetishists) still wonder why most people who actually live in or spend considerable amounts of time in Boston oppose these large scale development projects.

"And the suburban skyline afficionados(fka height fetishists) still wonder why most people who actually live in or spend considerable amounts of time in Boston oppose these large scale development projects.
[/QUOTE]

Don't long term improvements often require short-term inconveniences? Is the solution to NOT realign the highway, and to NOT double the capacity of Boston's main bus terminal, and to not improve (and cover) the currently cramped waiting area, etc.?

Construction of a huge tower, new fare gates, and a major highway project combine for a potential commuting nightmare.

And the suburban skyline afficionados(fka height fetishists) still wonder why most people who actually live in or spend considerable amounts of time in Boston oppose these large scale development projects.

And as is the case every time, it won't be 10% as bad as the breathless Globe clickbait artist implies.

all "large scale development projects" which created services and features you and others who "live in or spend considerable amounts of time in Boston" appreciate and make use of on a regular basis -- the subway; the infill and land reclamation that created haymarket, the south end, back bay, the west end, etc.; the big dig; *any* multi-use/public-use development (public garden, emerald necklace, the pike); *any* large common-use development (fenway park, symphony hall, td garden, MFA, prudential center) -- caused some degree of inconvenience during their times of development/construction.

so what's your take, here? so long as developments that you make use of and appreciate were constructed and dealt with before you lived in town and had to worry about a potential wrinkle to your commute-time, then you're cool with it -- but if you may have to budget your train ride to work differently for a couple years in order to create something that will greatly enhance the public good for decades to come, then it's an intollerable offense?

entitled much?

As if the people who oppose this project aren’t largely from the suburbs. Oo! I haven’t read something so funny in a long time! :LOL:

And as is the case every time, it won't be 10% as bad as the breathless Globe clickbait artist implies.
In constant and vigorous agreement with this, but the faregates are indeed a horrid idea that should be blasted into the sun. Story says that project isn't supposed to be started until the fall, so maybe that's enough time for them to come to their senses.

What is a fare gate? Is this some new technology or is it just one of those plexiglass penis pinchers on the subway?

Boohoo. You are hereby sentenced to spending eternity stuck on the Central Artery.

Breaking News: It’s good for the long-term.

Last edited:

What is the major highway project? I can't get access to the Globe article. Thanks,

kmp1284's statement is very reasonable, however, because both South Station and the Pike carry commuters largely from the West & South West. Creating delays in both at once will exacerbate issues for the same commuting population, as opposed to (i.e.) the Allston work being done at the same time as a project at North Station.

kmp1284's statement is very reasonable, however, because both South Station and the Pike carry commuters largely from the West & South West. Creating delays in both at once will exacerbate issues for the same commuting population, as opposed to (i.e.) the Allston work being done at the same time as a project at North Station.
Practically speaking aren't the two projects happening in sequence, not simultaneously?

Seems that the South Station Tower is about to break ground, and I suspect the worst disruption will be during the first year or so.

Straightening the Pike is no where close to breaking ground. I suspect we will still be arguing about configuration options five years from now.

However, lesser Pike and rail disruptions near Boylston Street (air rights) are likely to happen at the same time as the South Station Tower.

Its actually baseless NIMBY'ism. If people truly opposed these projects they wouldn't get built and Mahtty Walsh would have gotten turfed for some anti development loon. NIMBY's always claim near universal support from everyone who's not a developer or construction worker but recent elections have proven that assumption to be false.

As far as disruptions go, shit happens. I've used the T for almost 30 years now and I'm not worried about it. Your commute is far more likely to be delayed by a crappy signal system or broken down trains than construction above the tracks.

Practically speaking aren't the two projects happening in sequence, not simultaneously?

Seems that the South Station Tower is about to break ground, and I suspect the worst disruption will be during the first year or so.

Straightening the Pike is no where close to breaking ground. I suspect we will still be arguing about configuration options five years from now.

However, lesser Pike and rail disruptions near Boylston Street (air rights) are likely to happen at the same time as the South Station Tower.

I hope the state gets smart and makes the developers disrupt traffic for all projects at one time. Last year, Pike traffic was disrupted for construction and now its going to again for the air rights project and then for the rebuild. Why can't all construction be done simultaneously rather than torture commuters over a multi year period?

Back