South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

The renders always seemed to have way too much light relative to what is likely possible here. (A pretty simple trick in renderings.)
Absolutely - the dimensions and materials will likely be accurate, but the light is totally imaginary. They may do a good job lighting the top of the vault, but it will never look like natural light.

I remain convinced that the finished arches aren't going to be nearly as soaring and majestic as the renders. . .
I would be more optimistic than that. The concrete substructure will likely get clad with the finished rendering arch sweeps (more curved) similar to the column at Winthrop Tower that they just installed (and then removed for some reason). Check out that thread and you might agree

20230408_191803.jpg

Core is just becoming visible from outside

I would be more optimistic than that. The concrete substructure will likely get clad with the finished rendering arch sweeps (more curved) similar to the column at Winthrop Tower that they just installed (and then removed for some reason). Check out that thread and you might agree
My concern is not with the quality of the arches, but with the open space where you currently see sky in Sam Staiti's photo below. Passengers will come from the warm waiting area and have to walk through snow and rain to get to the tracks. It seems like it would be so simple to just cover that space so it's all enclosed. And maybe put some doors at the entrance instead of an open arch for the wind to blow through in January. I hope I'm wrong and that it will be enclosed.

(Sorry. I don't know how to quote a photo, so I did a screen shot and attached it here.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 12.52.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 12.52.53 PM.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I found this rendering on the Hines website. It's not definitive, but it looks like maaaaaybe there's coverage. I hope so.
South-Station_Rendering_Exterior_Office_Entrance_Final_hres.gif

Guess I don’t quite understand. The platforms will be covered between the waiting area and any door to any train, as the main structure and expanded bus area are built over the tracks. But like any station the boarding area will be open to ambient temperature at least through the tracks that come from outside. All renderings I have seen show the sides open as well, so giant doors would be a surprise.

You can stay dry but you probably can’t stay warm. In any case a big improvement over what has been there for decades, regardless of finishes to the arches.

Guess I don’t quite understand. The platforms will be covered between the waiting area and any door to any train, as the main structure and expanded bus area are built over the tracks. But like any station the boarding area will be open to ambient temperature at least through the tracks that come from outside. All renderings I have seen show the sides open as well, so giant doors would be a surprise.

You can stay dry but you probably can’t stay warm. In any case a big improvement over what has been there for decades, regardless of finishes to the arches.

However, it does seem reasonable to restrict the wind coming from the two open ends near the South Station headhouse. If those two entrances had glass and doors, it would be comparable to many European train stations. The tracks are always open towards the engine-end of the train platforms. Anyway, I agree with @Justbuildit that it will be FAR superior to what is existing now. I'm really hoping they use this project to renovate and enhance the interior of South Station to provide more eating, drinking, and shopping options.

However, it does seem reasonable to restrict the wind coming from the two open ends near the South Station headhouse. If those two entrances had glass and doors, it would be comparable to many European train stations. The tracks are always open towards the engine-end of the train platforms. Anyway, I agree with @Justbuildit that it will be FAR superior to what is existing now. I'm really hoping they use this project to renovate and enhance the interior of South Station to provide more eating, drinking, and shopping options.

Might be an issue with all the diesel fumes? In Europe (at least where I have been) it's almost all electric so the need for ventilation isn't as high.

I wonder if it is designed so that it can be easily covered in the off chance of eventual electrification.

Be so glad when the steel frame starts to rise above the short buildings!! :)

They added a climber on the second, lower crane; it's a few segments taller as of this morning (though still shorter that then crane within the core).

Yep, they’ve been lighting the crown for a few weeks now, on and off at the beginning. Looks pretty regular starting before sunset these days.

Back