South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

I guess, not surprisingly, I'm not the only car nerd on here. Makes sense that architecture nerd goes hand-in-hand with car nerd! Even though I work in neither industry, they're both equally my side pleasures and always felt I should've pursued a career path in one of them. Oh well, in another life...

Boston In Transit by WardMaps LLC

I finally had the chance to read this book which was shipped out back in March. I HIGHLY recommend it for any Boston transit fan!!!! For people interested in the history of South Station, there is a whole chapter on the consolidation of train lines from the West and South of Boston into "South Union Station" in 1899. It's really wonderful, and it's so sad that we've lost a GREAT deal of the original station. I hope this current tower and open concourse under construction brings back some of the original grandeur and excitement for the busiest rail station in New England.

South Station from Above 1929 – Boston In Transit
South Station Trackage Circa 1904 – Boston In Transit

Man that’s big!

IMG_2069.jpeg
IMG_2076.jpeg
IMG_2077.jpeg
IMG_2079.jpeg
IMG_2078.jpeg

People are correct in pointing out this core is thicc. Are we witnessing the birth of another fat tower? I really hope not, the State Street building was already disappointing enough in that regard.

People are correct in pointing out this core is thicc. Are we witnessing the birth of another fat tower? I really hope not, the State Street building was already disappointing enough in that regard.
It’s going to be about 200’ wide on it’s fattest side and 700’ tall.

Attachments

• 7720ED13-0EC4-4E48-AC92-D86BE856E60E.jpeg
    7720ED13-0EC4-4E48-AC92-D86BE856E60E.jpeg
    531.9 KB · Views: 248
Nice photo! This shows the possibility of glass skylights between the tower and the main South Station headhouse that we talked about earlier. (Meaning that I think there would be room for some glass skylights to allow natural light into the existing concourse.) I think that would be awesome since the current glass wall between the existing headhouse concourse space and the new covered train platforms will be totally obscured by the tower and not allow any natural light.

Thanks for responding, so yes I'm going to be disappointed with the width. At least expectation levels have been set
The good thing is that it's multifaceted which should help to hide the girth, and the upper floors will be on the slender side (from their slender side).

From what building is the picture taken?!

I would guess 100 Summer--it's funny how these perspective conundrums are so Boston-centric, with our towers all skew to each other in a very bewildering/complex geometry; in Manhattan, with everything aligned perfectly rectilinearly, there would never be any such confusion... but here is more interesting!

I tried to line it up in google's 3d aerial view and it looks like it was taken from the Winthrop Square tower.

Back