South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

10/6

98EABCBD-8F80-4CA1-AA10-D92D6DA08FF8.jpeg
B1D44E75-16D5-4FB6-A6F0-074627BE0FF6.jpeg

These pictures show that the arched area will have plenty of natural sunlight rather than a crypt-feeling that some have feared.

Thank you for these photos. Something I've been curious about is that open space on the top left. Is that going to be closed off somehow to keep the rain and snow out? It would be a shame if they were to go through all this trouble to make the vaulted covering so nice only to have people get wet as they walk to their trains.

Thank you for these photos. Something I've been curious about is that open space on the top left. Is that going to be closed off somehow to keep the rain and snow out? It would be a shame if they were to go through all this trouble to make the vaulted covering so nice only to have people get wet as they walk to their trains.

I kind of assumed there was some requirement that the new construction not "touch" or alter the existing historic building, because it does seem like there is a gap. However, maybe this will be the last thing constructed? I have also wondered if there will be an actual gap or will it be connected in some way to the historic building?

Sure but the MassHealth example was a state government instance. Point being: “government,” of whatever type or scale finds the funding for what is deemed important that administration (or that week, that day).
This is getting a bit off topic, but that MassHealth funding actually came from the Feds. It was administered by CMS, which is the federal agency that overseas Medicaid (called MassHealth here). The states manage the day to day operations, but the funding mostly comes through federal pass through dollars. Pretty much anything COVID related worked that way. Even wealthy states like Massachusetts can't massively increase spending on a short term or emergency basis because they are legally required to avoid budget deficits and don't have control of a reserve currency. That said, the state could certainly better fund the MBTA, but our politicians decided instead to pass a large tax reduction, so, priorities.

I don't think the concern is the vaulted space - it's the interior of South Station itself.
That, and also the platform area, which I fear will feel similar to Penn Station, with the exception of the exit stair cases.

This is getting a bit off topic, but that MassHealth funding actually came from the Feds. It was administered by CMS, which is the federal agency that overseas Medicaid (called MassHealth here). The states manage the day to day operations, but the funding mostly comes through federal pass through dollars. Pretty much anything COVID related worked that way. Even wealthy states like Massachusetts can't massively increase spending on a short term or emergency basis because they are legally required to avoid budget deficits and don't have control of a reserve currency. That said, the state could certainly better fund the MBTA, but our politicians decided instead to pass a large tax reduction, so, priorities.
There was a big tax increase first which is supposed to be focused on transportation and education.

I gather that from where the tarp is, that's how high up on the tower that the fireproofing got. :)

The impending all-glass façade will probably "flatten" the appearance of the building, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the notches in the floor plates on the the NW and SE ends of the tower; interesting dynamism being introduced.
I rather like it sans glass. It shows how complimentary to South Station a masonry tower would have been.

The impending all-glass façade will probably "flatten" the appearance of the building, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the notches in the floor plates on the the NW and SE ends of the tower; interesting dynamism being introduced.

The glass facade WILL make the outside of the tower appear smooth & shiny on sunny days, giving it that distinctive sky blue color that most tall office towers are known for. It with look really beautiful & stunning!!!! :)

Last edited:

Back