South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Reminds me of the robot on The Day the Earth Stood Still.
Gort!!.jpg

Gort, Gort, he's our man. If he can't do it, no one can!!!! Yeah, the pic that I posted, the tower looks shorter & wider for some reason. Like there was a screwup!! Hah!!!

It already reaches the FAA limits. Do you think it would look better with less floors and a shorter roof (ie same height as The Fed and 1 Financial next door) so they could jam a stick on top?
yup

I was thinking that if they raised the airport 30 feet which is not a bad idea considering the rising sea level, then the FAA could approve two more stories across the city or at least a spikey hair doo for the robot. .

Planes are not allowed to fly in or near the vicinity of Boston's tall buildings The FAA stops them from doing that. (n)

How about Logan just rotates that runway a few degrees to the south? Problem solved

When fan pier was first proposed the globe did an article about the height restrictions. It was about the ability to turn around in an emergency not takeoff and landing. I’ll check the original documentation and post if it’s in there

While the runways aim directly over the Seaport, I think for downtown it's more based on radar issues than flight-paths. I always wondered why they don't just add a second radar somewhere if that's all it would take to make it possible to build substantially taller downtown. The developers could help pay for it, and make back that money (and then some!!!) with taller buildings going forward.

Clearly, I don't have a full understanding of the issue, but on a higher-level it seems like a relatively nominal cost to allow taller buildings across the city.

While the runways aim directly over the Seaport, I think for downtown it's more based on radar issues than flight-paths

I'm no pilot but I thought I read the FAA restrictions over the city were a safety issue in the event an engine goes out on take off and the plane cannot climb as rapidly as it typically would.

I'm no pilot but I thought I read the FAA restrictions over the city were a safety issue in the event an engine goes out on take off and the plane cannot climb as rapidly as it typically would.
I believe both issues play into the airspace height restrictions. Radar coverage is certainly one issue (and several developers have explored funding additional radar installations to gain a height restriction waiver). And the safety issue related to allowing space for a loss of power on takeoff, low altitude return to airport maneuver to be safely executed.

Topped off for the steel ? What material will they use to finish the rest ?

Has anybody posted this landscaping render yet? I'm not even sure what I'm looking at.

1700760091007.jpeg

The view out the window.

1700760118114.jpeg

Back