South Station Tower | South Station | Downtown

HubCat

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this, but great boston.com article about history of the South Station clock and interview with the guy who winds it. That's right, it has to be wound manually.
"At South Station, a reminder of the past that keeps ticking through the present" LINK

atlantaden

Reaction score
Don't forget the promises made about the YMCA, the Boston History Center, the Garden under Glass projects that were to be built over the entrance/exit ramps on the Greenway! None were ever built, just too damn expensive to deck over those ramps. And they were just ramps, how wide, two lanes? Two lanes, that could easily have been closed off during construction. Frankly, I'm thrilled that there are a few projects that are actually going to get built over the Pike. It ain't easy, or inexpensive, to build over an active highway and train line.

Equilibria

Reaction score
This is a good point. Are there any cities that have done extensive decking over an existing interstate? I've been to places like Atlanta, Philly, and DC and don't recall any...
There are cities doing deck parks over freeways and cities (mostly outside the US) doing deck buildings over train tracks. There are very few examples of cities successfully building large private air rights buildings over operating freeways, as Boston repeatedly tries to do. I think that if Parcel 12, Viola, and Fenway Center succeed, they will be basically unprecedented.

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
There are cities doing deck parks over freeways and cities (mostly outside the US) doing deck buildings over train tracks. There are very few examples of cities successfully building large private air rights buildings over operating freeways, as Boston repeatedly tries to do. I think that if Parcel 12, Viola, and Fenway Center succeed, they will be basically unprecedented.
Also buildings in the Seaport/Fort Point that span highway -- 15 Necco will have to contend with the 1-90 tunnel, I believe. (Or is it the Gillette lot next door?)

Equilibria

Reaction score
Also buildings in the Seaport/Fort Point that span highway -- 15 Necco will have to contend with the 1-90 tunnel, I believe. (Or is it the Gillette lot next door?)
Not to completely divert the thread, but IMO the issues are a little different. Buildings over the tunnel may have similar structural requirements to air rights buildings, but they don't have the operational impacts during construction.

Java King

Reaction score
I have a very good friend who is working with the architecture firm that designed the Union Station Tower in Chicago. It looks like it's more adjacent rather than directly over the tracks, but it's still very similar in concept to the South Station Tower.
http://unionstationtower.com/

stoweker

Reaction score
I have a very good friend who is working with the architecture firm that designed the Union Station Tower in Chicago. It looks like it's more adjacent rather than directly over the tracks, but it's still very similar in concept to the South Station Tower.
http://unionstationtower.com/
that one might or might not be, but 150 N Riverside in Chicago is built directly over a live train ROW

HenryAlan

Reaction score
150 N Riverside in Chicago is built directly over a live train ROW
Is it, though? When I look at that and the ROW placement, the impression I get is that the building's base is on terra firma, whereas the plaza is above where I think the tracks run. Note the narrowness of the base, which then cantilevers outward to support the larger building footprint several floors up. I think this design is specifically intended to avoid the ROW.

Rover

Reaction score
So just to bring this full circle, it sounds like the construction over the South Station train tracks is a relatively common occurrence except for perhaps the height of the building although NYC certainly has its share of those. However the delays make more sense about building over the turnpike as private development over an interstate is almost unprecedented on the scale that Boston is trying to achieve. I do like the idea of one overriding authority tasked with coordinating all of the issues with the various stakeholders.

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
From an email I just received:

Track 13 Changes

Beginning March 2, through the completion of South Station Transportation Center Improvement Project, all trains boarding on Track 13 will be accessible only on the west side of the platform, closest to Track 12. The east side of the platform, closest to the Post Office, will be closed as part of the construction zone.

Upcoming Construction Activity

This week, a fenced-in work zone will be put in place between 245 Summer Street and South Station. Within the work zone, patio pavers and benches will be removed, stored, and reinstalled once the project has been completed. Access through the plaza will be maintained.

The existing MBTA bus shelter at the Summer Street at South Station stop will be removed to allow for a new South Station pedestrian ramp to be constructed. The bus stop will remain active. The construction of the ramp is scheduled to take approximately two weeks to complete.

stoweker

Reaction score
Is it, though? When I look at that and the ROW placement, the impression I get is that the building's base is on terra firma, whereas the plaza is above where I think the tracks run. Note the narrowness of the base, which then cantilevers outward to support the larger building footprint several floors up. I think this design is specifically intended to avoid the ROW.
you're right the foundation is driven in between the tracks - that's why it splays out like it does up top. that being said, Riverpoint is built over ROW - last time i connected with the Hines guys in Chi my understanding is that they were helping out with SST given their experience managing building out above active tracks.

stefal

Reaction score
This is one of the most transparent construction projects in a while, no? I understand they have to be rather transparent such that people in and around S. Station can make accommodations if necessary, but I'm impressed.

meddlepal

Reaction score
This is one of the most transparent construction projects in a while, no? I understand they have to be rather transparent such that people in and around S. Station can make accommodations if necessary, but I'm impressed.
Given Boston and Massachusetts conservatism for large scale development and infrastructure projects since the Big Dig I think everyone involved is trying their hardest to not cock it up badly enough that there is some kind of serious public backlash against future development that could have a transit impact.