South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

stefal

Reaction score
Little sad to see this nice stretch of mature street trees taken down but hopefully worth it in the long run... I presume we get our plantings back whenever this project finishes up?
Likely nothing of substance will be put in its place. This whole stretch will eventually have lobbies and conveyances for the garage, office tower, residential and office in phases 2 and 3, and whatever else needs to fit at street level. No space for plantings, maybe some trees along the street.

whighlander

Reaction score
Trees were removed from AtlanticView attachment 3776
ssresident -- 2 weeks ago while I took my "walkaround" -- the trees along the sidewalk were already gone -- it looks as if there must have been a separate small contract to take down the trees within the project footprint

So -- I think that we are really seeing the Project move off the Starting Line!!! ✔

BeeLine

Staff member
Reaction score

stick n move

Reaction score
Came across some new and some older but finally zoomed out renders:

Finally the whole skyline shot! (Almost).

Link
-This angle shows that theres hope as far as the buzzcut effect. The angle places SST behind the court house and if *when* the south bay towers project happens, albeit much shorter, it would place the towers even more left of SST and behind the Seaport sq buildings. Theyre not going to be huge, but theyll be taller than the seaport buildings and it will nicely step up and back from Seaport sq, as well as the left side of the skyline stepping down from SST. I think it will really make a huge difference on the skyline.

From Hines:

Plus another older render that theyve zoomed out a bit more...

Link

Its kind of annoying how devs show extremely zoomed in renders then slowly release them less and less zoomed in, but I guess I get it when you only have so many and need to release new things constantly in the social media age..

Last edited:

stick n move

Reaction score
The one positive in the whole situation is that after this thing is over the only way to go is up. The economy should shoot up faster than it ever has, for the simple fact that its going to be completely stopped. Going from nobody working, nobody buying anything, nothing... to everybody starting to go back to work, starting to pay bills, starting to buy things, is going to make the economy rapidly rise from bottomed out. How far it can rise and if that even matters well see. Hopefully that helps, but who tf knows whats in store.

awood91

Reaction score
It’s dead
Of all the projects that I'd think could continue, it would be this one:
What do others think?

Last edited:

kmp1284

Reaction score
Hmm yea that is true, it probably helps how long the schedule is.

Of all the projects that I'd think could continue, it would be this one:
What do others think?
Dead as a coffin nail. Aside from a potential long term global depression this may very well prompt a re-evaluation of how people live and work - wouldn’t be surprised to see an exodus of wealth and commerce from dense urban areas. I think you’ll see a lot more companies move to have employees work remotely.

Charlie_mta

Reaction score
Dead as a coffin nail. Aside from a potential long term global depression this may very well prompt a re-evaluation of how people live and work - wouldn’t be surprised to see an exodus of wealth and commerce from dense urban areas. I think you’ll see a lot more companies move to have employees work remotely.
I'm thinking the same. The trend of teleworking and internet shopping is being greatly accelerated by this crisis, and there will be minimal going back once the crisis subsides.

awood91

Reaction score
People said almost the exact same thing after 9/11 and those predictions never came true. Creative people clustering together in dense urban areas creates innovation and productivity, generating more than enough ROI to justify high-rent districts. That, and people obviously just prefer interacting face to face over remotely.

kmp1284

Reaction score
People said almost the exact same thing after 9/11 and those predictions never came true. Creative people clustering together in dense urban areas creates innovation and productivity, generating more than enough ROI to justify high-rent districts. That, and people obviously just prefer interacting face to face over remotely.
As low as the bar was at the time I think there was a much greater trust in government to prevent another major terrorist attack than there is presently to prevent the spread of this virus or whatever else might be out there. We’ve gone from one death to five in just 48 hours. When all is said and done I suspect this will kill at least a million Americans.

stick n move

Reaction score
The thing people need to remember right now is that nobody knows whats going to happen. Anybody who says they know is just making shit up. This has literally never happened before, decisions are being made on the fly, theres no blueprint, and nobody knows whats going to happen. Even the people at the very top of government around the world are just winging it right now as things unfold because nobody was prepared for this

Im sure things will change after this, but nobody knows exactly what. It could just be procedures and preparedness instead of everyone ditching cities. Humans have a miraculous ability to forget. We should not forget this, but after a while people are going to want life to get back to as normal as possible. Im sure things will change, but nobody can predict the future and say exactly what. Thats the only thing that can be said for certain right now, is that nobody knows.