South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Blackbird

Reaction score
Wait. So is it now officially dead? Did something change since March 22nd?

citylover94

Reaction score
Not as far as I can tell it is just one member freaking out about the potential that it is canceled. I can understand feeling concern that it could be canceled but as far as I can tell there has been no news from the developer stating the project is being put on hold or canceled. The only thing affecting this project currently is the construction halt in Boston I believe.

Johnnyrocket891

Reaction score
No. Jahvon needs to relax and recognize that construction throughout the city is halted. All projects are on hold. We'll be fine.
I'm not too sure on that. Boston will mostly likely take a hit along with the majority of the country.
I could see SST get delayed to the next real estate cycle.

KriterionBOS

Reaction score
I'm not too sure on that. Boston will mostly likely take a hit along with the majority of the country.
I could see SST get delayed to the next real estate cycle.
Boston will probably take a hit. I'm sure the rest of the country will still keep putting up 500 footers, 800 footers, and 1000 footers. NYC will probably put up 10 thousand-footers in the next 5 years. Cities on Boston's level like Seattle, SF, Philly will probably still put up 800 footers.

Its a minor miracle that Boston being the 10th largest (11th now) metro in the country, somehow has the 7th biggest skyline in terms of 150 meter buildings. You'd expect us to punch well below our weight.

chrisbrat

Reaction score
Boston will probably take a hit. I'm sure the rest of the country will still keep putting up 500 footers, 800 footers, and 1000 footers. NYC will probably put up 10 thousand-footers in the next 5 years. Cities on Boston's level like Seattle, SF, Philly will probably still put up 800 footers.

Its a minor miracle that Boston being the 10th largest (11th now) metro in the country, somehow has the 7th biggest skyline in terms of 150 meter buildings. You'd expect us to punch well below our weight.
1) am i misreading, or are you suggesting that "cities on boston's level" will probably still put up towers, but we wont? or are you just bemoaning that others (many) have surpassed 800', but we haven't yet (quite)?

2) i realize wikipedia isn't always the most accurate source of info, but i hadn't heard of some other metro area knocking us down to 11. what's your source?

Massachoicetts

Reaction score
1) am i misreading, or are you suggesting that "cities on boston's level" will probably still put up towers, but we wont? or are you just bemoaning that others (many) have surpassed 800', but we haven't yet (quite)?

2) i realize wikipedia isn't always the most accurate source of info, but i hadn't heard of some other metro area knocking us down to 11. what's your source?
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix...etros-population-growth-edges-out-boston.html It happened last year.

KriterionBOS

Reaction score
thanks. had no idea.
Yeah a lot of metros are growing faster than GB. So a few that are on our heels will surpass us. Still, as long as Boston crosses 5M (which hopefully will happen by 2025) thats a pretty big milestone. Will be interesting to see how close the census estimates are to the actual 2020 census.

KentXie

Reaction score
Not to get sidetracked any further but a lot of this has to do with cost of living, housing playing a large portion of it. The fastest growing ones tend to be places with much cheaper cost of living. If remote working becomes more of a thing after the pandemic, look to see this trend continue or even speed up as people flee expensive cities they work in to work remotely from cheaper cities. This could have serious ramifications for more expensive cities/states as they lose out on valuable tax dollars.

awood91

Reaction score
That's surprising.

Although judging by the stock market, investor confidence isn't terrible.
Not to pat myself on the back too much, but I was pretty confident it was going to resume quickly. Not that the tower is a 100% guarantee (things can of course change before that phase starts in Summer 2022), but a lot of moving parts were already in place.

Of all the projects that I'd think could continue, it would be this one:
What do others think?

BeeLine

Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

stick n move

Reaction score
Random speculation.

Actually so far theyve shown every intention of sticking to the plan as proposed, and are intent on getting back to work and on to the new schedule.