South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Reaction score
Yeah can't wait for another amorphous hunk of glass....
View attachment 6369
I kid a bit. It has adequate proportions. At least something is going up at all...
I'm surprised how demand for office space hasn't gone in full reverse by now.
I think it’s funny that people think they’ll never have to be in office ever again.

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
I think it’s funny that people think they’ll never have to be in office ever again.
I think it is funny that some people haven't figured out that many people are not going back into the office, at least not full time.

The office isn't dead, but it will be massively diminished. The corporate bean counters have figured out many jobs can effectively be done from home. Office space for sublet is going through the roof.

Orgs I work with are talking about no more than 20% return to full time office work. The remaining 80% will be dominantly WFH with perhaps a day per week in the office.

That is a HUGE shift!

Rover

Reaction score
You're getting way ahead of yourself with that 80/20 wfh split. Work from home has been with us on a widespread basis for 20 years. It's not new. If companies could truly save millions by converting to total wfh, don't you think they would have done so already? I also don't so how shared workstations can possibly survive post Covid.

Charlie_mta

Reaction score
My daughter works for a major high tech company and says pre-COVID19 they didn't allow any WFH, but now they will be allowing/mandating WFH for everyone but their lab research people and others who absolutely require on-site work. Also tbe technology for "virtual offices" is being developed further. I'd say 80% of office type work will be virtual in the near future. Also the Government is already using shared cubicles quite a bit wherein the employee comes in 1 day every 1-2 weeks.

I also predict the S Station tower will be delayed more than a couple of years due to the developing softness in the office market.

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
You're getting way ahead of yourself with that 80/20 wfh split. Work from home has been with us on a widespread basis for 20 years. It's not new. If companies could truly save millions by converting to total wfh, don't you think they would have done so already? I also don't so how shared workstations can possibly survive post Covid.
It is one of those "inertia" situations. WFH was the oddity until suddenly it was mandated, then it wasn't. All the bosses assumed productivity would nose dive, but it didn't. It won't be for everyone, but it will be for a lot larger fraction of the workforce than anyone envisioned in January.

George_Apley

Not a Brahmin
Staff member
Reaction score
These discussions about WFH post-COVID always seems to be people arguing over two sides of the same coin.

KriterionBOS

Reaction score
^all that equipment lying around means the project is still proceeding in the current phase, right? I don't see any humans in those pics, but looks like its still U/C...

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score

BeeLine

Staff member
Reaction score

Bananarama

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the bike parking cage is still there? Or where they relocated it to? (if they did at all)