South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Taken this evening

83-FFB16-F-5333-4979-9-BAF-34-AC220-BBC2-F.jpg

D4711676-FF52-4314-93-D3-BD2-EB0-C8-F082.jpg

A18-DD928-6903-4-A3-B-96-A2-9-A59-B312-FB5-A.jpg

F3-AB9-E85-7669-40-F8-9-B1-E-B937-ECFF7645.jpg

While not a Tower Crane sighting at South Station -- guessing we'll see one in 2021
But:
As they say in the trade -- That's one Humongous Crane
just Look at the stack of counterweights
I don't think they are ready for a tower crane for the tower. The mobile crane seems to be working on the low-rise bus station expansion.

I don't think they are ready for a tower crane for the tower. The mobile crane seems to be working on the low-rise bus station expansion.
Jeff yes that is now

but according to their publicly accessible plan --- they start fairly soon on the foundation work for the Tower
The foundation work will need a Tower Crane to access both the holes and also the supplies

Jeff yes that is now

but according to their publicly accessible plan --- they start fairly soon on the foundation work for the Tower
The foundation work will need a Tower Crane to access both the holes and also the supplies
Hum. I haven't seen a crane pad yet in any of the pictures posted? But up thread it mentions that crane assembly was delayed one week, but should start Friday Jan 29!

Hum. I haven't seen a crane pad yet in any of the pictures posted? But up thread it mentions that crane assembly was delayed one week, but should start Friday Jan 29!
Jeff somewhere between the current state of work -- upper diagram

temp_view_05.jpg

and the beginning of the foundation and giant arches for the Tower [lower diagram]-- there has to be a "real crane" installed on the site

I'm still betting it will happen in 2021 perhaps by the end of the summer?

From the Construction Impact website

UPCOMING ACTIVITY IN ATLANTIC AVENUE AREA
Crane assembly will begin on Friday, January 29. The contractor, working extended days (12-14 hours/day), will assemble the crane’s boom from Friday, January 29, through Sunday, January 31. The crane is expected to be operational on Monday, February 1. The assembly of the crane’s 370’ long boom will require temporary closure of two of the three travel lanes along Atlantic Avenue, as well as temporary closure of the Atlantic Avenue sidewalk adjacent to the construction zone. Access for emergency vehicles will be maintained.

During this same weekend operation, parking along the east side of Atlantic Avenue will be closed between Kneeland Street and Essex Street except for a drop-off zone just south of the Bus Terminal.

Accessible pedestrian access to the Bus Terminal will be maintained throughout the assembly of the crane.

Commuters travelling between the South Station concourse and the South Station bus terminal are encouraged to use the Platform A walkway to bypass the expanded Atlantic Avenue construction zone.

there has to be a "real crane" installed on the site

That's at least a 300 ton crane, if not 400 ton. I'd call that a real crane.

From the same logistics/schedule video that you referenced, it looks like the plan for the bus terminal is to have a second crawler crane set up on the east side of the tracks.

For the tower portion, I wouldn't be surprised if the base of the tower crane is built into the tower some 2-3 stories above ground level. My guess is this would be less disruptive to commuters and easier for construction to avoid having to break up & patch back the platform in order to build a typical concrete foundation.

That's at least a 300 ton crane, if not 400 ton. I'd call that a real crane.

From the same logistics/schedule video that you referenced, it looks like the plan for the bus terminal is to have a second crawler crane set up on the east side of the tracks.

For the tower portion, I wouldn't be surprised if the base of the tower crane is built into the tower some 2-3 stories above ground level. My guess is this would be less disruptive to commuters and easier for construction to avoid having to break up & patch back the platform in order to build a typical concrete foundation.
Bob -- you might be right on all counts
Although I think you will need a crane with a boom that can reach across the bus terminal to get access to materials stashed on Atlantic Ave for the tower foundation work
so I'm thinking one tower crane in the vicinity of track 13 and later the real climber on the other side as you suggest

I know the tower is a long way from delivery, but wasn’t salesforce rumored to be locating here ? What happened to that information ?

Nice pic!

Not a crane expert by any means but it looks to be this configuration per the Leibherr technical data sheet (I'm not sure which model crane it actually is but this looks to be close enough). In this configuration the crane would have a maximum reach of 104m or ~341'. Guesstimating the location of the crane as shown in the pics above it looks like it would reach almost the entire footprint of the tower.

South Station.PNG

They likely won't be operating this crane close to it's max reach, but once the second crane is set up on the post office side there should be enough overlap to catch the areas this one doesn't.

JavaKing:

I'm guessing that your pix from Suffolk relates to the following:

In January, a 370-foot crane will be delivered to the Atlantic Avenue construction zone. This crane will be used to construct a portion of the bus terminal and parking garage. The installation and use of this crane will impact pedestrian and vehicle traffic patterns and expand the construction zone:

Crane assembly will begin on Friday, January 29. The contractor, working extended days (12-14 hours/day), will assemble the crane’s boom from Friday, January 29, through Sunday, January 31. The crane is expected to be operational on Monday, February 1. The assembly of the crane’s 370’ long boom will require temporary closure of two of the three travel lanes along Atlantic Avenue, as well as temporary closure of the Atlantic Avenue sidewalk adjacent to the construction zone. Access for emergency vehicles will be maintained.

During this same weekend operation, parking along the east side of Atlantic Avenue will be closed between Kneeland Street and Essex Street except for a drop-off zone just south of the Bus Terminal

for Bob -- you were doing a good job of guessing -- from the information posted on the two pages designed for commuters as quoted above
crane’s 370’ long boom

I do think that the crane as shown in the photo posted by Java King is located a bit closer to the South Station Head House and the steps up from Atlantic

I know the tower is a long way from delivery, but wasn’t salesforce rumored to be locating here ? What happened to that information ?

It was only speculation

for Bob -- you were doing a good job of guessing -- from the information posted on the two pages designed for commuters as quoted above
crane’s 370’ long boom

I do think that the crane as shown in the photo posted by Java King is located a bit closer to the South Station Head House and the steps up from Atlantic

Agreed, I was being a little conservative for my estimates. I think this proves the point that most of the work will be able to be handled by the two crawler cranes until the tower pops up above the head house.

Back