South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Reaction score
I know the tower is a long way from delivery, but wasn’t salesforce rumored to be locating here ? What happened to that information ?

bobthebuilder

Reaction score
Nice pic!

Not a crane expert by any means but it looks to be this configuration per the Leibherr technical data sheet (I'm not sure which model crane it actually is but this looks to be close enough). In this configuration the crane would have a maximum reach of 104m or ~341'. Guesstimating the location of the crane as shown in the pics above it looks like it would reach almost the entire footprint of the tower.

South Station.PNG

They likely won't be operating this crane close to it's max reach, but once the second crane is set up on the post office side there should be enough overlap to catch the areas this one doesn't.

whighlander

Reaction score
JavaKing:

I'm guessing that your pix from Suffolk relates to the following:

In January, a 370-foot crane will be delivered to the Atlantic Avenue construction zone. This crane will be used to construct a portion of the bus terminal and parking garage. The installation and use of this crane will impact pedestrian and vehicle traffic patterns and expand the construction zone:
Crane assembly will begin on Friday, January 29. The contractor, working extended days (12-14 hours/day), will assemble the crane’s boom from Friday, January 29, through Sunday, January 31. The crane is expected to be operational on Monday, February 1. The assembly of the crane’s 370’ long boom will require temporary closure of two of the three travel lanes along Atlantic Avenue, as well as temporary closure of the Atlantic Avenue sidewalk adjacent to the construction zone. Access for emergency vehicles will be maintained.

During this same weekend operation, parking along the east side of Atlantic Avenue will be closed between Kneeland Street and Essex Street except for a drop-off zone just south of the Bus Terminal

for Bob -- you were doing a good job of guessing -- from the information posted on the two pages designed for commuters as quoted above
crane’s 370’ long boom

I do think that the crane as shown in the photo posted by Java King is located a bit closer to the South Station Head House and the steps up from Atlantic

bobthebuilder

Reaction score
for Bob -- you were doing a good job of guessing -- from the information posted on the two pages designed for commuters as quoted above
crane’s 370’ long boom

I do think that the crane as shown in the photo posted by Java King is located a bit closer to the South Station Head House and the steps up from Atlantic
Agreed, I was being a little conservative for my estimates. I think this proves the point that most of the work will be able to be handled by the two crawler cranes until the tower pops up above the head house.

rjacobs

Reaction score
1) Deeply appreciate the photos, Bren924.

2) I have seen the rendering of the vaulted arches that will go over the main platform area, but are there any renderings of what the individual platform areas for Tracks 1-10 will look like? With the entire area covered by the expanded bus terminal, I'm assuming/hoping that the current coverings will be removed entirely since they'll no longer serve a purpose.

shmessy

Reaction score
Just found this. Anyone up for a 360 degree video from this past September????

Vivanna

Reaction score
Agreed, I was being a little conservative for my estimates. I think this proves the point that most of the work will be able to be handled by the two crawler cranes until the tower pops up above the head house.
I wonder what's up with the patchwork boom on this crane... red, white and yellow sections, looks like it was cobbled together from 3 other machines?

whighlander

Reaction score
1) Deeply appreciate the photos, Bren924.

2) I have seen the rendering of the vaulted arches that will go over the main platform area, but are there any renderings of what the individual platform areas for Tracks 1-10 will look like? With the entire area covered by the expanded bus terminal, I'm assuming/hoping that the current coverings will be removed entirely since they'll no longer serve a purpose.
RJacobs -- the whole platform area outside of the part being filled will be under the expanded bus station -- all of the overhead stuff is going away with a much higher ceiling
The area just outside the headhouse and the expanded milling-around area will be under the tower and the massive arches

whighlander

Reaction score
Bren -- I presume you took those with your back to the folding doors of the South Station Head House?
or were you on the landing above the steps from Atlantic Ave?

In any event keep on taking -- this is going to be one very interesting project for about the next 4 years

bren924

Reaction score
Bren -- I presume you took those with your back to the folding doors of the South Station Head House?
or were you on the landing above the steps from Atlantic Ave?

In any event keep on taking -- this is going to be one very interesting project for about the next 4 years

That was from in front of the doors, the ones closest to Atlantic Ave. Going to be an interesting commute through South Station!

whighlander

Reaction score
That was from in front of the doors, the ones closest to Atlantic Ave. Going to be an interesting commute through South Station!
Thanks Bren
Next time the weather is a bit more cleamant and I've a few hours -- I'll take a walkaround from South Station to North Station via Winthrop and State Street to catch-up on the last few months of construction which I've enjoyed vicariously through the intrepid and dedicated photographers of the ABforum
Bravo to all who take the time and have the skill to contribute!!(y)

bobthebuilder

Reaction score
Is THIS the spot where the tower will be put?
No this is all for the bus terminal expansion. We won't see tower steel go up for quite some time.

So, will this tower in any way interfere with the actual main terminal building?

The footprint of the new tower sits within the concourse area, but won't interfere with the actual head house building. You can see the outline of the tower below.

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
No this is all for the bus terminal expansion. We won't see tower steel go up for quite some time.

The footprint of the new tower sits within the concourse area, but won't interfere with the actual head house building. You can see the outline of the tower below.

That parking garage entry onto Atlantic Ave will be on our biggest failures in urban design in years I think. A parking garage with direct interstate on-ramps and yet someone thought it necessary to put an entrance across a busy pedestrian area.

Bananarama

Reaction score
That parking garage entry onto Atlantic Ave will be on our biggest failures in urban design in years I think. A parking garage with direct interstate on-ramps and yet someone thought it necessary to put an entrance across a busy pedestrian area.
Can you point out where you see this? I cant find this entry on the plans I could find online (and the one above).

Reactions: W-4