South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

DBM

Reaction score
Was the zoning/permitting an additional factor here? Assuming they had to get a variance for the tower parcel that was apparently carved-out solely for the tower structure (if I'm interpreting correctly) maybe the yellow and green structures are being built via an easement on the MBTA parcel and are only rising up to the as-of-right zoning height there in that particular zoning overlay? all speculation

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
I believe as you move south from the South Station headhouse you run into FAA height restrictions pretty quickly. The sharp height drop for the approach space for runway 9/27 is somewhere in that stretch.

stick n move

Reaction score
Yup, the line cuts diagonally across the back of the new tower and the height limit immediately drops to 325’. The tower falls almost directly in the notch where the angle changes.

Heres the real massport map thats a pdf you can zoom in on vs trying to look at the fuzzy piece of crap you find on google images, for anyone interested.
https://www.massport.com/media/1545/boston-logan-airspace-map.pdf

-most of assembly is at 1000’ lol, at least as far as the faa goes.

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
Yup, the line cuts diagonally across the back of the new tower and the height limit immediately drops to 325’. The tower falls almost directly in the notch where the angle changes.

Heres the real massport map thats a pdf you can zoom in on vs trying to look at the fuzzy piece of crap you find on google images, for anyone interested.
https://www.massport.com/media/1545/boston-logan-airspace-map.pdf

-most of Cambridge Crossing is 1000 ft. also, per FAA :rolleyes:

DZH22

Reaction score
Assembly looks like it's only around 400'. Kendall and North Point are the 1000' neighborhoods. This is why I scream my head off about those 2 areas in particular. They basically monopolize, AND WASTE, by far the highest allowable height limits in the city!

whighlander

Reaction score
Some good points about structure, finances and the FAA

I suspect that the stuff shown in yellow and green [aka phases 2 and 3 of development] is basically a place holder
About when the tower is rising we might get an NPC telling us about what the developer will be aiming to build next

Remember --- When this project was being initially planned GE was still going to have a Logo viewable from Mars, and outside of Vertex there was no major bio/pharma development on the other side of the Fort Point Chanel

That's one of the things I recently pointed out about the history of development in Boston -- since it takes a lot of time to get from an idea to fruition -- things sometimes change rather drastically in the intervening years
If the NPC was filed today -- I would bet that it might be one building for lab and one for bio/pharma manufacturing -- or perhaps an all-in-one building with very large floorplate

Finally -- I think the later phases are still subject to the eventual disposition of the USPS facility and the Commonwealth DOT's plans for further expansion and improvements to South Station

bigpicture7

Reaction score
Any idea what the little tower is in this picture?
It looks like it's built around/supported by a piece of HSS in the middle. Been racking my brain and just can't picture what this will be used for.
This is a total guess (and I agree it's vexing), but I'd say that they are using the space around that center column as a raceway for pipes/ducts/drains. It looks a bit too permanent (and with too nice of a welding job) to be an entirely temporary construction artifact. My guess is also inspired by what appears to be a permanent-looking maintenance ladder that would allow for inspection/servicing. Again, total guess.

Last edited:

found5dollar

Reaction score
Any idea what the little tower is in this picture?
It looks like it's built around/supported by a piece of HSS in the middle. Been racking my brain and just can't picture what this will be used for.
Isn't that roughly where the new bus station elevators will be or am I one platform over?

DigitalSciGuy

Reaction score
You're one platform/track pair over. I'm tempted to agree that could be a utility raceway?

Also, it feels weirdly satisfying to see support beams installed on those foundation stumps that've been waiting there for decades...

HenryAlan

Reaction score
Man those steel supports are low.

The Penn Stationification has begun.
Yeah, kind of inevitable, unfortunately. If they raised the canopy some, p[lacing the bus depot and parking higher up, maybe it would feel more airy, but I don't think it would, since there wouldn't be anything like skylights to connect it with the outside.