South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

20210228_154228.jpg
20210228_154301.jpg
20210228_154011.jpg
20210228_154353.jpg

Steel rising quick, and the new doors look ready to go

Any idea what the little tower is in this picture?
It looks like it's built around/supported by a piece of HSS in the middle. Been racking my brain and just can't picture what this will be used for.

This is a total guess (and I agree it's vexing), but I'd say that they are using the space around that center column as a raceway for pipes/ducts/drains. It looks a bit too permanent (and with too nice of a welding job) to be an entirely temporary construction artifact. My guess is also inspired by what appears to be a permanent-looking maintenance ladder that would allow for inspection/servicing. Again, total guess.

Last edited:
Any idea what the little tower is in this picture?
It looks like it's built around/supported by a piece of HSS in the middle. Been racking my brain and just can't picture what this will be used for.

Isn't that roughly where the new bus station elevators will be or am I one platform over?
screenshot_20210214-190827_drive-png.10379

You're one platform/track pair over. I'm tempted to agree that could be a utility raceway?

Also, it feels weirdly satisfying to see support beams installed on those foundation stumps that've been waiting there for decades...

Man those steel supports are low.

The Penn Stationification has begun.

Man those steel supports are low.

The Penn Stationification has begun.
Yeah, kind of inevitable, unfortunately. If they raised the canopy some, p[lacing the bus depot and parking higher up, maybe it would feel more airy, but I don't think it would, since there wouldn't be anything like skylights to connect it with the outside.

Is it just me or does this ceiling seem kind of low?

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing every time I see the steel grid taking shape. Like a living space, it feels like just an extra 5-10 feet of space the current ceiling line would make a major difference (certainly a far cry from the vaulted spaces that define many of Europe's finest train station hubs). Hopefully it won't feel claustrophobia-inducing once it is finished. (I imagine there are architectural constraints at work, but I have no knowledge).

Hopefully the more open-aired entrance archway will be done as well as promised in the visuals.

Back