South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

1) am i misreading, or are you suggesting that "cities on boston's level" will probably still put up towers, but we wont? or are you just bemoaning that others (many) have surpassed 800', but we haven't yet (quite)?

2) i realize wikipedia isn't always the most accurate source of info, but i hadn't heard of some other metro area knocking us down to 11. what's your source?
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix...etros-population-growth-edges-out-boston.html It happened last year.

thanks. had no idea.

Yeah a lot of metros are growing faster than GB. So a few that are on our heels will surpass us. Still, as long as Boston crosses 5M (which hopefully will happen by 2025) thats a pretty big milestone. Will be interesting to see how close the census estimates are to the actual 2020 census.

Not to get sidetracked any further but a lot of this has to do with cost of living, housing playing a large portion of it. The fastest growing ones tend to be places with much cheaper cost of living. If remote working becomes more of a thing after the pandemic, look to see this trend continue or even speed up as people flee expensive cities they work in to work remotely from cheaper cities. This could have serious ramifications for more expensive cities/states as they lose out on valuable tax dollars.

That's surprising.

Although judging by the stock market, investor confidence isn't terrible.

Not to pat myself on the back too much, but I was pretty confident it was going to resume quickly. Not that the tower is a 100% guarantee (things can of course change before that phase starts in Summer 2022), but a lot of moving parts were already in place.

Of all the projects that I'd think could continue, it would be this one:
What do others think?

Last edited:
any news/buzz/rumors to support that fear, or just random speculation?

Random speculation.

Actually so far theyve shown every intention of sticking to the plan as proposed, and are intent on getting back to work and on to the new schedule.

I think the one thing most of can agree on is that it looked better with the extra setback in the prior version. More graceful, less jarring of a transition.

Capture by David Z, on Flickr

I would have taken this setback another step with a better defined tower base that eases the transition from the original South Station to the tower.

From the project page:

Suffolk Construction, the contractor for the South Station Air Rights Project, will continue daytime and overnight construction at South Station. Daytime construction to create replacement Atlantic Avenue and Summer Street access ramps, as well as the closing of the outdoor ramp connecting Platform A to the bus terminal are necessary to establish the project construction zones. Overnight signal conduit work will also be performed on Tracks 3 & 4. (Tracks 1 & 2 were completed last week).

UPCOMING ACTIVITY IN ATLANTIC AVENUE AREA
  • Construction of a new ramp on Atlantic Avenue, which will replace the existing ramp, is scheduled to be completed next week. Once this replacement ramp is in place, the existing Atlantic Avenue switchback ramp will be closed to expand the construction zone. Access to and from South Station from Atlantic Avenue will be maintained by the new, replacement ramp.
  • Suffolk Construction has closed the outdoor switchback ramp that provides access to and from Platform A (adjacent to Track 1), near the South Station Bus Terminal. Closing the outdoor ramp is necessary for the contractor to finish establishing the Atlantic Avenue construction zone. Access will be maintained to and from Platform A through an existing ramp in the South Station Bus Terminal.
  • During the next few weeks, passersby may notice demolition work near the entrance to South Station on Atlantic Avenue, including the demolition of the now-closed bike cage. Pedestrian travel will be maintained at all times and clearly delineated.
UPCOMING ACTIVITY IN SUMMER STREET AREA
Construction to establish a new ramp from Summer Street to South Station will begin next week. Pedestrian access to the doors entering and exiting the South Station headhouse toward the plaza area will be maintained at all times during this construction.

UPCOMING ACTIVITY NEAR TRACK 13/POST OFFICE
  • Overnight work near Platform H, adjacent to Track 13, has been completed to establish a construction zone in that area.
  • In the next few weeks, riders may notice the demolition of the canopy adjacent to Track 13, within the construction zone. Actual demolition work will be completed at night during Track 13 track outages.
UPCOMING ACTIVITY ON PLATFORMS
A new Keolis dispatch trailer structure will be installed this week, adjacent to Track 10 beside the loading dock. Once the new trailer is in place, the existing trailer, currently located at the end of Tracks 1 & 2, will be removed.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Tower will go up in this phase, ot just the low-rise part for the next few years?

Back