St. Gabriel Monastery | Washington St | Brighton

I didn’t know this had started much less approved. What was the final approved res count?

This site has got to be one of the most prominent examples - if not the most prominent example - of Mission Revival architecture in Boston, right? Anyone know the context/history around why the RC church went with this style way back when? Very glad its being restored and not demo'd...hopefully they keep it as original as possible on the exterior.

IMHO, this is one of the most undersung developments on ArchBos.

Palindrome,
It's 555 apartments and 105 condominiums (so, 660 units total...pretty darn big) per BPDA.

Thought I'd take a moment today to update several of the Brighton projects that are chugging along at a solid clip, despite being somewhat under-the-radar here on aB.

Construction at the St. Gabriel's (159 Washington St.) multi-building restoration/redevelopment has been progressing rapidly. Also, per a January 2, 2019, update on BldUp, they just received a major chunk of construction financing:
Saint Gabriel's Redevelopment Secures $150.165 Million in Construction Financing

The redevelopment project of Saint Gabriel's in Brighton has secured $150.165 million in construction financing via Blue Vista Capital Management.

In total the development will include around 555 residential apartment units, and 105 of condominiums units, and approximately 510 parking spaces. The center of the development will focus on the renovation and adaptive reuse of the existing St. Gabriel's Monastery and Church.

Here's the site plan, since I noticed it wasn't posted upthread:
pz51cofo04n16qmewovx

There's an active CoUrbanize site with construction photos for this project.

EDIT: Note that the dashed gray outline on the right side of the site map above is the site boundary for the Avalon Brighton project next door.

Last edited:
Is this going to be built from "steel for one floor, wood above that"?

Is this going to be built from "steel for one floor, wood above that"?

Building 1 will be, as is apparent by the present state of construction. Not sure about the others (see site plan above, this is 4 new buildings & 2 restored masonry structures).

Back