Stanhope Hotel | 39 Stanhope Street | Back Bay

Wow! It got taller..........that's unheard of around here. Anyway, I really like the proposed changes. On a tangent, the "approved" Copley Tower graphic seems totally in the wrong location.

1671666201156.png

I know beggars can't be choosers, but it would be nice if this were going to be in the 450-500 range. It would be nice to have something in between the Hancock and the rest of the buildings in this immediate area.

Wow! It got taller..........that's unheard of around here. Anyway, I really like the proposed changes. On a tangent, the "approved" Copley Tower graphic seems totally in the wrong location.

So it's mislabeled, but that's actually the Clarendon-facing res tower portion of the Back Bay Station Rebuild which I believe is in the 400' range; that massing would jive with said supposition.

So it's mislabeled, but that's actually the Clarendon-facing res tower portion of the Back Bay Station Rebuild which I believe is in the 400' range; that massing would jive with said supposition.
Amazing how different this area will look if everything show is built. Would be really nice to get something on those air rights parcels, though.

Amazing how different this area will look if everything show is built. Would be really nice to get something on those air rights parcels, though.
Filling out Freida Garcia Park across that pike trapezoid would certainly be preferable on that Clarendon-adjacent air rights parcel than a new development proposal.

Filling out Freida Garcia Park across that pike trapezoid would certainly be preferable on that Clarendon-adjacent air rights parcel than a new development proposal.
That could certainly serve as a plaza/focal point for an area soon to be surrounded by larger developments. I'd be okay with that, but the parcel between Columbus and Berkeley, incorporating the parking lot really needs some grand structure.

It's interesting that the label on the tower says 52 stories and 625'. The massing is clearly in the 400' range as you mentioned. As others have said, that parcel over the pike in front Freida Garcia Park would be perfect for a taller development over 600'

Freida Garcia Park was the John Hancock/David D'Allesandro c$ckblock of Columbus Center. It will be hard to make that parcel work specifically, given the acrimony over that and inconsistent history of air development rights.

It's interesting that the label on the tower says 52 stories and 625'. The massing is clearly in the 400' range as you mentioned. As others have said, that parcel over the pike in front Freida Garcia Park would be perfect for a taller development over 600'

Thats because those are the dimensions of copley sq tower. They mistakenly labelled the residential tower of the back bay garage development as copley tower and thus wrote in the wrong floor count/height.

The actual tower is somewhere around the 400 ft mark as mentioned.
BackBay1200.png

Last edited:
Does approved mean these towers are all definitely going to be built? If yes, its going to be great to add some more density to the Back Bay...even if none of them are 500 footers. Need those 300+ guys for increasing the density.

Does approved mean these towers are all definitely going to be built? If yes, its going to be great to add some more density to the Back Bay...even if none of them are 500 footers. Need those 300+ guys for increasing the density.
It doesn't mean they will definitely going to be built, and certainly doesn't mean it will happen in a reasonable timeline. The Back Bay garage development is Boston Properties so I strongly expect those will get built eventually but market conditions, construction costs and rents/demand, will drive the timeline.

It doesn't mean they will definitely going to be built, and certainly doesn't mean it will happen in a reasonable timeline. The Back Bay garage development is Boston Properties so I strongly expect those will get built eventually but market conditions, construction costs and rents/demand, will drive the timeline.

The real estate industry needs to seriously fund research into time travel technologies. Imagine if once the market conditions were right 10 or 50 years from now and all these towers were built they could be time-machined to the present so we could have them now without having to wait for the right market conditions. It would totally revolutionize real estate development!

Back