State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

IMG_0103.jpeg

This building is way too wide. Grotesquely wide. And that curtain wall looks like something out of the 70s. The raised, metallic mullions contrast starkly with the blue glass, making the skin look busy and negating any sensual effect the building's smoothly curving facade might have had otherwise.

What an enormous disappointment this one turned out to be.
Couldn't disagree more. "Curtain wall out of the 70's" <---are you serious?! "metallic mullions..make the skin look busy and negating any sensual effect.." <--- the mullions enhance the effect and accentuate the curve by holding changing light. If this is 70's, bring back the 70's!

Yeah the visual footprint in the skyline by this bad boy is really unique and needed. It works really well from East Boston, Boston harbor and then Charles or back bay but a crown of uplighting on this one would have been (FLAME EMOJI).

When you walk from the Garden to South Station now, it's almost urban skyline the entire way. From all of North Station, One Congress/Bulfinch, and The Millennium's; now with SST, I mean seriously. These last 10 years have been arguably the greatest development years in the history, and we aren't even talking about Seaport and ALL non-Boston Proper development.

Sometimes I think we all have to pinch ourselves that we've had such an incredible and lively forum the past decade, for the city we love, and an immense passion we all share. This has nothing to do with anything anyone wrote, I just started thinking while I was writing and it's honestly amazing.

The end.

Last edited:
Yeah the visual footprint in the skyline by this bad boy is really unique and needed. It works really well from East Boston, Boston harbor and then Charles or back bay but a crown of uplighting on this one would have been (FLAME EMOJI).

When you walk from the Garden to South Station now, it's almost urban skyline the entire way. With out all of North Station, One Congress/Bulfinch, and The Millennium's. Now with SST, I mean seriously. These last 10 years have been arguably the greatest development years in the history, and we aren't even talking about Seaport and ALL non-Boston Proper development.

Sometimes I think we all have to pinch ourselves that we've had such an incredible and lively forum the past decade, for the city we love, and an immense passion we all share. This has nothing to do with anything anyone wrote, I just started thinking while I was writing and it's honestly amazing.

The end.

I remember when the clarendon, atlantic wharf, and 45 province went up around the same time and it was a big deal. Little did we know what was in store.

Couldn't disagree more. "Curtain wall out of the 70's" <---are you serious?! "metallic mullions..make the skin look busy and negating any sensual effect.." <--- the mullions enhance the effect and accentuate the curve by holding changing light. If this is 70's, bring back the 70's!
Also the issue here isn't the width, it's the height to width ratio. Using google maps, the width of the State Street Tower at it's widest point looks to be about 260ft which is similar in width to the Wilshire Grand Center in LA. However, because the WGC's roof height is 900ft+, it looks well proportioned.
1687920540314.png

Also the issue here isn't the width, it's the height to width ratio.

This is the single key issue that has and will continue to bedevil the Boston skyline. I think most of us would be fine with the repetitive terracotta colorways, the clinging to dated colossal order, the 30 degree sloped roofs . . . all of this would be "fine" if the height to width ratios were balanced.

But they *never* are. It's just broad and squat. Like a Roslindale bridal shower. But without the nice ouzo.

I don’t think any proportions will help the bacon building in Union Square.

Back