State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

<in the voice of the radio commentator at the Hindenburg>
”There’s used Dunks everywhere! Ohh… the humanity!”

I love how on the wide, fat, slab, Boston stump side, it has sweeping lines but from the west facing east, it looks slim and tall. Is it too soon to ask this building out on a date?

These samples are still up over in the Suffolk Downs parking lot. The panel laying down is new though.
FB49DE5B-D536-4CF5-B252-BBC33A21ECBA.jpeg
C17EDF2C-E199-4DB1-98D2-D150FEDCDB1E.jpeg

IMG_1766 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_1767 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_1772 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_1792 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_1811 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_1831 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_1844 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_1860 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_1934 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_1937 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2080 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2098 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2128 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2142 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2145 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2130 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

I think the design of the reflective glass is stunning. Excited to see this one finished.

From yesterday morning. This is easily my favorite highrise built in the city in the decade I’ve lived here. It is dynamic both in form and facade. I’ll try and upload a video of clouds moving across the glass later. It’s really something.

B1D8A518-6E3B-4419-A47D-A7BA91EE487C.jpeg

F40D3FF9-40FC-4C86-A378-065795433C51.jpeg

E1D63A3A-4052-41DF-AA00-8BB79094B840.jpeg

EDA1081A-B15F-4086-9769-84E53E18EA62.jpeg

Didn't get a photo but this thing is starting to have a dominant view coming up Huntington around Symphony.

That garage demo just can't happen fast enough. I wish they could just block off the street for a few days and blow it up and clear away the rubble.
This new building is cool and all but I'm most siked for that garage to be gone. Gonna be such a breath of fresh air, like when the Casey Overpass was removed.

This new building is cool and all but I'm most siked for that garage to be gone. Gonna be such a breath of fresh air, like when the Casey Overpass was removed.

It really is the best part. Walking down the street and having to walk under that dark dank brutalist garage was really unappealing. Opening it up to the sky and adding the view corridor is really going to bring this stretch to life. Cant wait!

Some of those elevated pics above really show how much this tower would have benefited from an extra 5-10 floors. Fingers crossed that those swoops make a solid impact at the top. Hoping (against hope) that the flatiron parcel across the street and/or Hurley parcel deliver something in the 700' range. Unfortunately, none of the upcoming candidates for mayor seem promising for allowing more height in Boston.

and/or Hurley parcel deliver something in the 700' range. Unfortunately, none of the upcoming candidates for mayor seem promising for allowing more height in Boston.

Hurley is capped at 400' (due to shade on Beacon Hill denizens). A developer could certainly fight for more, but the call for proposals stated multiple times, up front, that it would not exceed 400'. On the sarcastic plus-side: the Hurley replacement will be virtually the exact height of several other 400' structures, creating the look of a buzzcut, which is not a compliment.

My favorite thing here is a small piece of old upper garage floor being used as a balcony for the res tower.

Hurley is capped at 400' (due to shade on Beacon Hill denizens). A developer could certainly fight for more, but the call for proposals stated multiple times, up front, that it would not exceed 400'. On the sarcastic plus-side: the Hurley replacement will be virtually the exact height of several other 400' structures, creating the look of a buzzcut, which is not a compliment.
Buzz Cuts seem to be the norm in Boston development :confused:

Typically the numbers requested are to the highest occupiable floor and do not include the mech tops, which can add up to 20%. So technically they could propose as high as around 480' and remain within the parameters. A good example is that the Bulfinch Crossing towers are listed as 528' and 480' but then really about 600' and 530'.

Hurley area is within an FAA range around 770' and doesn't have the hard-and-fast shadow on the common/harbor encumbrances. It also requires a lot more remediation than the Federal Street garage where Winthrop Square is going. There's no good reason why the city should under-build this parcel. If anything we should take the old Accordia design and build it here, a slim 725' stunner which can help bridge the way towards an 800'+ in one of those parking lots by North Station.

Back