State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

Today

51954403817_5314c2c965_k.jpg

51955983490_41ca3bccf3_k.jpg

51955983395_4e397b53a6_k.jpg

51955983290_1f819beedf_k.jpg

I've noticed this a handful of times now, but with more and more glass going up it looks insanely fat from the north

51955693114_f2220b2769_k.jpg

More to the point, State Street isn't a retail bank - being a custodial bank (the biggest globally) it's customers are large institutions. (sic) [...]

That said, would it kill them to put the clipper ship up there? [...]

BNY Mellon is the largest global custodian (and has been for eight years), with $46.7 trillion AUC. SST, while AUC has declined a bit of late, nevertheless remains a solid second, trailing by $3.0 trillion... :)

I agree that a Clipper Ship would have been gorgeous on that glass.

Today

51954403817_5314c2c965_k.jpg

51955983490_41ca3bccf3_k.jpg

51955983395_4e397b53a6_k.jpg

51955983290_1f819beedf_k.jpg

I've noticed this a handful of times now, but with more and more glass going up it looks insanely fat from the north

51955693114_f2220b2769_k.jpg
Never knew the logo was going to be put on there, it looks horrible. I think it’s disgusting how over regulated Boston signage is, but for giant companies with money they always get their way.

there’s been a lot of excitement about this project for a long time, but I have to say that I only ever thought it was good because it was decent height and a part of downtown that needs it, and it wasn’t a boring rectangle. The more I see this thing, the less I like it. It just screams unbridled capitalism and makes me think of Dubai.

Never knew the logo was going to be put on there, it looks horrible. I think it’s disgusting how over regulated Boston signage is, but for giant companies with money they always get their way.

there’s been a lot of excitement about this project for a long time, but I have to say that I only ever thought it was good because it was decent height and a part of downtown that needs it, and it wasn’t a boring rectangle. The more I see this thing, the less I like it. It just screams unbridled capitalism and makes me think of Dubai.

There's been a "STATE STREET" sign on a building in Downtown Boston for many decades. I actually think it looks good on One Lincoln. Less so here.

There's been a "STATE STREET" sign on a building in Downtown Boston for many decades. I actually think it looks good on One Lincoln. Less so here.
I know. But the Lincoln St tower looks like it was designed to accommodate the logo, given all the horizontal lines at the top… although I’ve never liked the font. Simply from an aesthetic standpoint, the new building is going for a smooth, clean, and hence unadorned look. The logo looks stuck on. And the fact that it’s a logo of finance that is stuck on makes it feel all the more gross to me.

I actually think the logo helps a little bit with the fatness sides though the ship would have been better than the name.

The one thing that always grinds my gears with these developments in Boston is that yeah I get we can't get great heights in this city but it doesn't mean that everything has to be the same height. Variations in height of each building would go a long way even if one or 2 has to be a 100ft shorter.

I actually think the logo helps a little bit with the fatness sides though the ship would have been better than the name.

The one thing that always grinds my gears with these developments in Boston is that yeah I get we can't get great heights in this city but it doesn't mean that everything has to be the same height. Variations in height of each building would go a long way even if one or 2 has to be a 100ft shorter.
It certainly is surprisingly fat-looking in the pics. So far, I have only seen it in real life peeking above other buildings so will have to see if it looks as wide/fat in person or not. I think for its location it's a nice height but could have been taller, if only by 10 stories.

I was thinking the signage actually helps break up the fatness a bit too and hopefully will do the same on the taller north facing side. The horizontal lettering draws the eyes away from the swoopiness and white vertical lines which kinda tricks the eye into thinking it's a bit taller, giving some perspective I guess. I live near the Montvale Ave exit in Woburn and drive in on 93 south pretty much every day and I don't think it looks as fat in reality compared to photos, but another hundred feet would've been ideal to stretch it above its neighbors that are all roughly the same height.

Tourists will think that's the street address of the building.
The current and soon-to-be previous State Street building is actually on Lincoln Street (1 Lincoln) and not on State Street, so I don't think anyone, tourist or not, is going to look up to a skyscraper and see "State Street" and automatically assume that's the address. I think it's a very well-known investment bank corp and really won't confuse that many people.

The current and soon-to-be previous State Street building is actually on Lincoln Street (1 Lincoln) and not on State Street, so I don't think anyone, tourist or not, is going to look up to a skyscraper and see "State Street" and automatically assume that's the address. I think it's a very well-known investment bank corp and really won't confuse that many people.
It's got to be at least the fourth iteration of State St. Bank's headquarters in Boston. The first: John Hancock, Massachusetts' first governor, signed the bank's charter on June 25, 1792. The bank, named the Union Bank, was located at the corner of State and Exchange Streets and had as its first president Massachusetts Lieutenant Governor Moses Gill. Much later, the big move to Post Office Square on Franklin St.. Then the shift to the handsome 1 Lincoln, and now this magnificent specimen on Congress St. Keeping the brand "clean" by maintaining a consistent font for 230 years is brilliant IMO.

It's got to be at least the fourth iteration of State St. Bank's headquarters in Boston. The first: John Hancock, Massachusetts' first governor, signed the bank's charter on June 25, 1792. The bank, named the Union Bank, was located at the corner of State and Exchange Streets and had as its first president Massachusetts Lieutenant Governor Moses Gill. Much later, the big move to Post Office Square on Franklin St.. Then the shift to the handsome 1 Lincoln, and now this magnificent specimen on Congress St. Keeping the brand "clean" by maintaining a consistent font for 230 years is brilliant IMO.

that would be brilliant, i agree. have you seen (and can you share) a representation of the state street font used back in 1792? not being a dick -- that would legit make me feel quite differently about the font that's being used on this newest state street HQ.

also, when the HQ was at 225 franklin, it was (to my untrained eye) a somewhat different font and (here i don't need any "training" for my eyes) was absolutely different in that it was all-caps.

Back