Station Landing | Wellington Circle | Medford

There are still more buildings that are going to be built within the Station Landing site. There is a BSC that has started construction. The parking garage is going to be expanded which will allow 2 more buildings to be constructed on the surface parking lot adjacent to 28.

The only complaints I've heard seem to be with the intersection. The proposed changes would make this intersection seem more urban compared to the highway interchange feel it has now. However, this would be a state highway project and I can't imagine that it even shows up on their radar. The current configuration handles the high volume of traffic relatively well making such a project a non-priority.

With these restrictions, what else could have been done within this site that would have made for a better project?

I couldn't understand why anyone would want to live in such an isolated location, and I guess I wasn't the only one.

Station Landing being auctioned
By Kimberly Blanton
October 11, 2007 | 12:11 PM
The downtown Boston condominium market has been strong, but minutes from the city limits an auction of unsold condo -- at the new Station Landing development in Medford -- is in the works.

One might have passed Station Landing on the way Everett's superstores -- PetSmart, Home Depot etc. It hovers over the Mystic River. The developer, National Development, boasts the project's magnificent views of Boston's skyline and easy access to the Wellington subway stop.

But not everyone's buying the pitch. Out of 127 condos, 42 have sold in the project, completed in June, according to the firm conducting the auction, Velocity Marketing.

On Nov. 11, 30 units will be auctioned, with minimum prices set at about two-thirds of the original list price. That means bids start at $535,000 for a 12th floor penthouse, and at $275,000 for a one-bedroom on a middle floor.

"That price point is soft in this market," said Robert Cole, president of The Collaborative Companies, which owns Velocity.

So much for TOD. It's not like it was a great location, sandwiched between a highway and a train yard.

Re: Construction at Wellington - Station Landing

I've been driving either to Wellington, or past it allmost every day, sometimes multiple times, for the last 4 years. I got to say that I think that crazy intersection layout might be better than a traditional intersection. Atleast from a motorists point of view. For the amount of volume it handles, things move along fairly well. Watch out for Staties though. As for the Station Landing project they have started constructing a of a new building along side the RT 28 portion of the property.

I agree that the traffic flow arrangements through Wellington Cirlce are very good. Traffic rarely gets backed up there, and I can't think of any busier intersection in the metro area than this one.

As far as the area being liveable, it has a looooooong way to go. A Q'Doba and Not Your Average Joe's isn't going to get too many people interested in living there.

If it is to be truly successful, the surrounding area needs to be much more pedestrian and bicycle friendly than it is right now. Having the T station right there is great, but given the choice of buying a condo there or in an actual urban district, I think most people realize that they can get more for their money in terms of a vibrant neighborhood in a more developed, less-autocentric, area.

The only thing I can think of is maybe some pedistrian bridges, even then its not going to be the back bay. It will be exactly what it is. Urban, but not cosmopolitian urban, outskirts of a major city urban, not quite the suburbs, but also not downtown or trendy. Really the developers were living in a fantasy land when they thought people would want to pay that much to live there. Only a cheap price would entice me to live there.

The circle may be the best solution, but traffic can get real bad at times along 28 coming into the circle.

There are developments going on on both sides of Commercial St. in Malden, across the river in Somerville and Everett and the plazas at the intersection of rt. 16 and 28 would be prime locations for development. Could a benefit be offered to developers that would motivate them to build over 16/ somehow pay into fund to defray the cost of submerging 16 as it enters/exits the circle?

[size=+1]Funding secured for mixed-use project in Medford[/size]
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Boston Business Journal

National Development has secured debt and equity financing from ASB Real Estate Investments through its ASB Allegiance Fund for the mixed-use project called Station Landing.

The amount of the financing package, which was announced and arranged by Holliday Fenoglio Fowler LP (HFF), was not disclosed. A call to National Development's offices in Newton, Mass., was not immediately returned.

HFF also secured a 37-month, adjustable-rate loan through Wachovia Bank NA. A portion of the loan refinanced existing debt on several components of the project with the remainder providing construction financing for additional development. There is an existing loan with Babson Capital Management on the project (originated in 2006) that will remain in place, according to a statement from HFF.

Station Landing is a large, mixed-use project located in Medford, Mass. It includes 292 apartments, retail space, a 50,000 square-foot Boston Sports Club, a 162,000 square-foot office building, a 1,350 space parking garage and a land parcel which is permitted for office, hotel or residential development. The project also includes a 127-unit condominium project called Skyline at Station Landing which opened last June. In November, National Development held an auction to spur sales at Skyline at Station Landing. At the time, 17 of the 127 units were auctioned for sale at a 20 percent to 25 percent discounts or between $300,000 and $400,000.

Drove by for the first time ever today, looking for a Toys R US that doesnt exist anymore. Traffic was terrible.

Not knowing anything about the project, I was surprised at the height (compared to the surroundings) but dissapointed at the odd surface parking lots in front of the stores.

I read over this thread, and supposedly its done...so whats this?

IMG_6858.jpg

"....so whats this?"

I don't know, but what amazes me is how much better these buildings look in an unfinished state - with the colored insulation boards exposed - then they do with the finished panels.

So THAT's what that is. They have a billboard aimed at traffic on 93 South (I think near the old Loewe's Cinema) advertising this and I always wondered what it was.

No pics, but anyone know what's being added to Station Landing? Part of the parking lot in front of Margaritas fronting 28 is being developed. Pretty decent massing. Assuming it's more housing.

The AC Hotel by Marriott is planned for a parking lot facing Route 28, located between Margaritas Mexican Restaurant and 75 SL according to this article in the Globe from May 2014 (http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/re...ion-landing/z7TJ6WvPEj8C08ok9LvClJ/story.html)

Just realized that this will be the 2nd AC Hotel built in the Boston area in coming years. The other one is planned for the Ink Block in the South End.

The AC Hotel by Marriott is planned for a parking lot facing Route 28, located between Margaritas Mexican Restaurant and 75 SL according to this article in the Globe from May 2014 (http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/re...ion-landing/z7TJ6WvPEj8C08ok9LvClJ/story.html)

Just realized that this will be the 2nd AC Hotel built in the Boston area in coming years. The other one is planned for the Ink Block in the South End.

Third, actually. I believe they're doing one near Alewife as well.

Re: Construction at Wellington - Station Landing | Somerville

Not exactly station landing but i don't know where else this development is considered. Really crappy photo but while i was at the Jackson st parking garage in Malden i spotted this crane located near wellington

http://medford.wickedlocal.com/article/20140219/News/140216078

view from Wellington/rt. 16.
looks like they will construct the residential component around the parking structure

Last edited:

Back