Storrow Drive tunnel replacement

No Ron, they are in front of large sound barriers. You can't even see them on Google Street View... they are tucked away in shadows. You can see some of them if you run the tour, but only the really prominent ones. There is no reason that this bankrupt agency could not have plain -unmowed- grass along the sides of the highway. At least until they got their financial house in order. It's a small, little thing, but it's indicative of a throw-money-away attitude at the Turnpike Authority. Maybe it's a corporate adopt-a-highway thing, I'll admit I do not know the details other than what I can see - and what I can see is really upsetting.

Another purpose might be to shield the view of headlights from, or onto, side streets. But I'm purely guessing now.

After this Trillion $$ debacle in Iraq all the Red States want to talk about is the Big Dig.

First off we in Massachusetts get penalized every time we pay Federal taxes because we are a donor state and have always been one. We pay more to the Feds then we ever get back in benefit. So I don't care what states that can't pay there own bills think. GET A JOB, IOWA!!

Second if there is corruption (which there was) and they were so obviously inept why were contractors like Bectel rewarded with contracts in Iraq like the Iraq Infrastructural Program by some of the biggest critics of the project?

Besides, you've got to be smoking bong hits if you think Big Teddy is going to sit back and let anyone get a penny if we don't.

One more time, rip down Storrow Drive and let the Volvo crowd take the Green Line. The city will be much improved.

I was walking this area the other day and put some elementary thought into Mayor Meninio's proposal and I think it could work. Of course, this is Boston, so it won't work, but this is a plan to get private money to pay for this ambitious project. You basically give part of the land away to a developer, and you expand the commercial uses currently available on the Esplanade.

This plan could pay for itself:

storrow.jpg

Instead we'll have hack union people, the affordable housing crowd, preservationalists and every other special interest putting their hands in the mess until the project is no longer profitable, takes 10 years to complete and costs 10x what is originally estimated.

Anyway that's just my very simplistic -probably silly- idea of what to do. The footbridge land can be taken for building, as can the wrap around the back area of Beacon Hill. This incredibly valuable land would have the Public Garden at it's doorstep, as well as the Esplanade, and would straddle both Beacon Hill AND the Back Bay. How valuable would this land be to a developer? Maybe not enough to pay for the tunnel project, but maybe enough to get it financed reasonably.

A 10-story building at the meeting point of Beacon Hill and Back Bay? Fuggedaboutit. Nevah gonnah happen. You'll get maybe six stories at best.

I'm all for a beer garden though..

There's currently a proposal for a parcel on Beaver Place and Storrow Dr.--about the middle of Pelhamhall's tower site. The guy bought a bombed-out single-story commercial building and razed it with the intention of building his Beacon Hill dream house. I think the proposed building's height is around 35-40 feet. The neighbors fought him tooth and nail, and I believe it's still stuck in bureaucratic limbo.

Their main objection: Too tall (seriously). A lot of this part of Beacon Hill consists of converted carriage houses.

My point is that any proposal for a substantial development anywhere near here is doomed.

I always meant to start a thread on that project, but I just never got around to it.

Some millionare's "dream home" doesn't illicit any goodwill from anybody but, well, himself. So nobody cares that his plan was scuttled.

This plan would be a public benefit - you can almost see the headline "One developer's dream to connect the Espanade with the Public Garden". With a photo of one of the mayor's buddies, maybe Joe Fallon, on the concrete barrier with traffic wizzing by...

A development like this would get lots of people involved and for it. Photos of the old garages, and pock-marked alleys/streets would go a long way towards generating goodwill. Robert Beal lives nearby, he could probably be convinced that burying Storrow Drive in his backyard would be a good thing. Now his view and his deck wouldn't have a busy highway, but a park and a river.

It's just pie-in-the-sky talk, but I'm glad Menino brought this up. The garages and alleyway in the back of Beacon Street facing Storrow have to bee the most valuable and under-used land in all of Boston. There is a HUGE financial incentive to bury parts or most of Storrow if you were to engage those property owners and make it worth their while.

There is a HUGE financial incentive to bury parts or most of Storrow if you were to engage those property owners and make it worth their while.

I know quiet discussions were begun with some of those property owners. The majority tend to be extremely short-sighted, taking the view that 5?6 years of construction limiting their alley access will be unbearable. It's not shadows, building heights, or anything else. It's nothing more than "Where will we park our cars for SIX YEARS!?!"

The result is no action at all, with a probable replication of the existing, poor situation when the underpasses are fixed. Convincing these twits that live along there that 6 years of dirt and noise will solve the problem for another 25 years (never mind raise the value of their property) is next to impossible.

It's a shame. Perhaps Mayor Menino can get a backroom deal going, 'cause that's the only way I see this solved: smart, connected people meeting secretly to put together a plan and springing it on the neighborhood with unanimous agreement and a significant funding source in place (i.e. Gov. Patrick).

EDIT: spelling, clarity

It might be easier if this state's highway projects didn't have a tendency to drag on for, oh, a few more decades and a few more billions of dollars than usually planned.

I know quiet discussions were begun with some of those property owners.... It's not shadows, building heights, or anything else. It's nothing more than "Where will we park our cars for SIX YEARS!?!"

That at least can be easily solved: give these property owners free parking in the Boston Common Garage for the duration of this construction. The alley is owned by the abutters, not by the city or state, so if you take it away for years, you have to compensate the owners.

But note that lost parking is not the only problem that is caused if you block off the alley for construction. The back doors of these houses are necessary fire exits, and garbage is put out in the alley for collection rather than on the front sidewalk.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Jimbo, I fixed those links. All you have to do to embed a video is simply copy the url of the You Tube page and paste it on the forum.

Nice find, BTW.

My reactions is, thank god I don't drive! Relying on Back Street as a by-pass, and closing off access to Clarenden, et al, isn't going to make driving through there very easy. But, I guess it has to be done and if there's no easy solution, so be it. At the very least, the model shows that very little of the Esplanade will be affected.

Great find!

What is infuriating is how expensive it is to make these videos when at this stage simple drawings - or very stripped down video/slide show - could have done the trick to show the options.

If you go to Neoscape or any of the other big visualization firms, these videos cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. I didn't realize Massachusetts was so rich and had such money to squander on self-aggrandizing PR stunts like this.

The Massachusetts government will never cease to amaze me in its failing to operate efficiently, cry "poor" and raise taxes. It makes me miss Bill Weld.

(sorry for the Friday morning hangover rant)

$40,000 for the first 30-60 seconds, $1,000-$5,000 for each additional second depending on the complexity of the animation. Three weeks to four months lead time depending. Can you feel your tax dollars flying out of your wallet? Oh hell yes....

And in my own, personal opinion, I don't find the animations to be that spectacular. Not that they have to be, but for that price, I expect bump-mapping, etc.

Boston Globe - June 9, 2009
Designation debate
Parks chief opposes landmark status for Esplanade

By Stephanie Ebbert, Globe Staff | June 9, 2009

Though the Charles River Esplanade is poised for protection as a Boston landmark, the state commissioner who oversees it is opposing landmark status, saying that the parkland - which he once proposed paving over for a temporary road - is already well-preserved.

Richard K. Sullivan Jr., commissioner of the state Department of Conservation and Recreation, said the Esplanade has the highest level of protection by the state.

"A landmark designation is often the measure of last resort to preserve an otherwise unprotected and threatened property," Sullivan wrote in recent comments submitted to the Boston Landmarks Commission. The park is not endangered, he wrote, and doesn't lack protection from future risk.

Four years ago, the department proposed using a stretch of the Esplanade as a temporary roadway during reconstruction of the Storrow Drive tunnel. Though Sullivan would still not say the Esplanade detour was off the table, the controversial proposal was shelved when the state opted for interim repairs that should extend the life expectancy of the tunnel five years. That postponed a decision on how to divert traffic during the later reconstruction.

"I think it's pretty clear that everybody has a bigger vision. We believe that, at DCR, we will be able to take a more parkway park approach to Storrow Drive and the tunnel," Sullivan said.

But his department's parkways could be transferred to the highway department under a transportation overhaul. And the Department of Conservation and Recreation's previous plan for a Storrow Drive detour lane still hangs over the heads of Esplanade enthusiasts.

"I was very disappointed that DCR is opposing landmark status for the Esplanade," said state Representative Martha M. Walz, a Back Bay Democrat. "The idea that DCR could pave the Esplanade is what brought us to the point and proves why the Esplanade needs protection by the Landmarks Commission."

The Boston Landmarks Commission staff issued a report last month recommending the Esplanade get landmark status, which is awarded to preserve sites whose historic, cultural, social, architectural, or aesthetic significance transcends usual zoning considerations. If the board approves the recommendation, the city panel would gain the right to approve or reject changes along the Esplanade.

"What we feel strongly about, with respect to what will come out of landmark status, is that there won't be significant changes made to the Esplanade without a thorough review process," said Sylvia Salas, executive director of The Esplanade Association. "What they're trying to do is protect it from somebody coming in with a bulldozer and putting a highway in the middle of the park."

In its report recommending landmark status, the commission noted that the Esplanade is emblematic of an important aspect of the region's development - the creation of the Metropolitan Park System in the 1890s. The Charlesbank area of the Esplanade was a pioneering urban parkland designed for active recreation, and the Esplanade is viewed as a significant composite of the work of three prominent landscape architects, Frederick Law Olmsted Sr., Charles Eliot, and Arthur Shurcliff.

Sullivan said the Esplanade comprises parcels that make up a district, rather than an individual landmark. He also said that the Esplanade is protected open space under state law, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is overseen by the Massachusetts Historical Commission.

"Really, there isn't any reason to do it. It would just add another layer of bureaucracy to the process," he said.

But the Historical Commission recently approved, with no public discussion, his department's proposal to build a 6-foot-tall fence around the Esplanade's privately built and maintained Teddy Ebersol's Red Sox Fields. When park advocates complained, Secretary of State William F. Galvin, chairman of the Massachusetts Historical Commission, overruled the decision and called for public meetings. The second is scheduled for tomorrow.

At the first meeting, held by the Department of Conservation and Recreation May 27, several residents supported the fence, calling it necessary to protect the playing fields from overuse and to prevent the younger siblings of youth team players from straying onto busy pathways used by swift-moving cyclists and roller-bladers. The fields are now surrounded by a temporary chain-link fence.

Others fear the fence will disrupt the parkland's open vistas and make the playing fields seem cordoned off for private use.

"Frederick Law Olmsted would turn over in his grave," asserted resident and urban designer John Shields.

Proponents have asked the Landmarks Commission to include the fence as it makes a final decision on the Esplanade's landmark status; the commission is now considering how to handle it. Meg Vaillancourt, president of the Friends of Teddy Ebersol's Red Sox Fields, said in comments to the Boston Landmarks Commission that timing is urgent because funding for the fence is part of a DCR contract that expires this month. The Friends group has offered $50,000 toward an estimated $184,000 cost.

"Without the ability to proceed immediately, this combination of public and private funds for this important safety features is clearly at risk of being lost," Vaillancourt wrote.

Stephanie Ebbert can be reached at ebbert@globe.com.

How far along are they with the renovations? I have driven through the tunnel a few times and I like the lighting changes that have been made....looks brighter and cleaner.

Just about wrapped up, but remember that they went with the short term patch up job instead of actually fixing the tunnel.

Even though I think the Comissioner did make a big blunder with the original Storrow detour proposal, he does make valid points about adding bureaucracy. An example: The Massachusetts Historic Commission denied DCR the right to reconstruct and reconfigure Fells parkways with a much better 21st century design. After a public charette process, DCR wanted to turn a 4 lane parkway (with median) into a 2 lane parkway and multiuse path. The Mass Historic Commission said they could not alter the footprint of the parkway (meaning that they couldn't convert 2 of the existing lanes into the multi-use trail).

Does anyone know what's going on with this project?

This is a perfect example of why the DCR should be stripped of its authority over all major roadways. They're a parks agency and they just have no idea what they're doing when it comes to building this stuff.

I believe that that change was made under the transportation reform a few years ago.

Back