Suburban Complete Streets

Update: the first 4 grates on Boston Rd in Billerica (see upthread) have already been turned to the bike-safe orientation by MassDOT District 4. I’ll report back when done.

Rep/Senator reaction was generally “thanks for copying me, but I know MassDOT fixes this kind of thing” (so a hint of: don’t bother me, but I get that this is important)

Update Update: All 9 grates have been reoriented as of Oct 4. So clearly MassDOT (at least District 4) gets it, and I encourage everyone to keep an eye peeled. In general, I'd do this:

FOR SMALL/CHEAP FIXES FROM "THE OPERATING BUDGET"
(snow, vegetation trimming, trash, signage, grates) (streetlights will get referred to a contractor)
  1. Information: Note the Street name and approximate house number. Take a picture if safe to do so. Find it in Google maps and get the short link.
  2. Phone Call your local city/town's own "DPW" or "highway department" or "division of streets," and let them tell you whose street it is (they're really prompt and efficient at saying "not one of our town's"
  3. Submit or...: If they say it is one of the town's, get an email and make an official request with picture or google map marker. Different towns use 311 (Somerville), SeeClickFix (Medford, among many), town site (Cambridge), or phone (Arlington, Winchester)
  4. Take Referral: They love, as bureaucrats, to say "it isn't my road" so if they do, be sure and ask "do you have contact info for the road owner?" ("whom would you call if you were me?)
  5. If DCR/Parkway, MA-Route, or Interstate Find Your Mass DOT district Office (District 6 is basically the "617" core)
  6. Public Liaison: After finding the district office, there's a public liaison person who is the key gatekeeper.
  7. Submit to MassDOT. On active construction projects you'll probably be asked to contact a construction manager rather than a line-employee of DOT.
  8. Involve your State Politician: Involve your state rep/senator and/or the local state rep/senator. Wherever you vote and wherever the problem is
  9. (if municipal this could be a Town Manager, Mayor, or there's often a politically-tuned top "physical stuff" (as opposed to schools) manager)
For the Record, The MassDOT districts look about like you'd expect: 1 Berkshires, 2 Springfield, 3 Worcester, 4 Northside, 5 Southside & Cape, 6 Boston Core:
mhddist.png

Last edited:

Back