Supertall "Flagpole of Freedom" in Maine

"General Consensus" that this is a bad idea???

Guess what, this is a Totally Private Investment, on Private Land that this guy has decided to share with others.

If someone wants to come up with millions of dollars to do what they want with their own money, then do it.

If there is "public" money being spent on this, for example, making responsible taxpayers pay off loans in an attempt to buy votes, then yeah, there is a problem.
But if this guy has a vision that doesn't perfectly align with what someone thinks he should do with his own money (and voluntary donations), then too bad.

OK, so let me break this down for you:

He's absolutely allowed to blow $1+ billion dollars of his own (and raised) money on a project on his own land. It doesn't change the fact that this is a stupid f'ing idea and no more than a dick-measuring vanity project. Those that think this is a good idea are very much in the minority, and if that is not clear to you, then your view of this project is possibly biased to the point you're ignoring the waves of people, on ALL sides of the political spectrum, that are calling this dumb and a waste of money.

He could take a page from the incredible Travis Mills, and use the money to create a foundation that would do significantly more for more people, especially veterans, while still continuing to prove his patriotism.

And don't get me wrong, I think the Wreathes Across America mission is awesome. It was a great vision and something Worcester and the whole nation can be proud of. This project, however, is stupid.

Last edited:
The Statue of Liberty is also cartoonish (and originally a private effort) “You can look out of her tiara or her torch has a balcony, her guts were designed Mr. Eiffel”

The Washington Monument was also a private effort and crazy stunt (tallest building in the world in 1884; tallest masonry structure until surpassed by a smelter chimney) and stood half finished for decades when fundraising stalled.

I think it should be celebrated (and I would visit it) for its strangeness. A great mashup of “free country” and “vacationland”

Last edited:
The Statue of Liberty is also cartoonish (and originally a private effort) “You can look out of her tiara or her torch has a balcony, her guts were designed Mr. Eiffel”

The Washington Monument was also a private effort and crazy stunt (tallest building in the world in 1884; tallest masonry structure until surpassed by a smelter chimney) and stood half finished for decades when fundraising stalled.

I think it should be celebrated (and I would visit it) for its strangeness. A great mashup of “free country” and “vacationland”
Only if they film a National Lampoon's Maine Vacationland farce with Clark Griswold somehow hanging from the flag. I'd imagine all the shitters would be full too.

Fair enough. I just cringe at the $1+ billion price tag for this thing. When you think about just how much money that is and what other good could be done with it instead, it's difficult for me to justify the construction of this thing.

The Eiffel Tower cost $1.5 million to build, which when adjusted for inflation would be roughly $40 million today.

Sure. But compliance with laws, zoning, and oversight is still required.

However, it still remains a flaccid overcompensation and is grossly nationalistic.

- True (but unfortunately, selective enforcement has now become tainted by bureaucratic organizations, some of which are about as objective as that second statement)

- Total Opinion

But... I just disagree with your projections onto this guy, doesn't mean I don't acknowledge your right to your opinion.

OK, so let me break this down for you:

He's absolutely allowed to blow $1+ billion dollars of his own (and raised) money on a project on his own land. It doesn't change the fact that this is a stupid f'ing idea and no more than a dick-measuring vanity project. Those that think this is a good idea are very much in the minority, and if that is not clear to you, then your view of this project is possibly biased to the point you're ignoring the waves of people, on ALL sides of the political spectrum, that are calling this dumb and a waste of money.

He could take a page from the incredible Travis Mills, and use the money to create a foundation that would do significantly more for more people, especially veterans, while still continuing to prove his patriotism.

And don't get me wrong, I think the Wreathes Across America mission is awesome. It was a great vision and something Worcester and the whole nation can be proud of. This project, however, is f'in stupid.

I get a chuckle out of pretentious folks who think they are the official voice of some imaginary group they conjure.

I get a chuckle out of pretentious folks who think they are the official voice of some imaginary group they conjure.

Read the comments in this thread. Read the comments on any article on this project. The majority of people think it's dumb. I'm not just making this up.

Also, I get a chuckle when pretentious folks call others pretentious.

We disagree. I'm moving on if you're going to be a dickhead about it.

Read the comments in this thread. Read the comments on any article on this project. The majority of people think it's dumb. I'm not just making this up.

Also, I get a chuckle when pretentious folks call others pretentious.

We disagree. I'm moving on if you're going to be a dickhead about it.

Seriously, dickhead was not intended, and I respect everyone's opinion, including yours... I just don't need a lecture because I have an unpopular opinion.

And I genuinely hope you have a great weekend.

Back