Table Talk Lofts | Washington Street | Worcester

20230926_142653.jpg

Quarterra may be backing out of the big phase 2 development of 375 affordable housing units?

Phase 3 technically. Phase 2 is the old table talk building being renovated into affordable housing by Rossi Development. building permit was submitted for that phase a few months ago. But yes, troubling about this larger phase, wonder if its because their site plan got so much negativity (the garage mostly) and they were asked to revise

Things in the Canal District area around Polar Park continue to see ups and downs. Two more local businesses, Lock 50 restaurant and the Maker to Main market have closed up their operations. new ownership had just taken over Lock 50 in October but couldn't last beyond three months.

www.masslive.com/dining/2024/01/worcesters-lock-50-restaurant-closes-sold-to-new-owners-in-october.html

I assume their intention was all along to convert Lock 50 into a franchise tap room. That’s the plan of the current owners. I found both Lock 50 and Maker to Main underwhelming.

I suspect that local restaurant and bar activity will pick up when the various apartments & condo projects are completed and occupied. The canal district is far from complete.

I assume their intention was all along to convert Lock 50 into a franchise tap room. That’s the plan of the current owners. I found both Lock 50 and Maker to Main underwhelming.

Maker to main was anything but underwhelming, it's been my pri.ary grocery store since they were on Main St. Very sad to see them close. I helped them with their new location there.

Maker to main was anything but underwhelming, it's been my pri.ary grocery store since they were on Main St. Very sad to see them close. I helped them with their new location there.

I haven’t been to their new location so maybe I shouldn’t judge. I thought their Main Street location had a very limited assortment of items. Like I’d still have to go to a regular supermarket to get 90% of my groceries and go there for a more boutique grocer experience. Glad to hear it covered all your needs. Now we need more of you to support these types of businesses in the city 😉

I haven’t been to their new location so maybe I shouldn’t judge. I thought their Main Street location had a very limited assortment of items. Like I’d still have to go to a regular supermarket to get 90% of my groceries and go there for a more boutique grocer experience. Glad to hear it covered all your needs. Now we need more of you to support these types of businesses in the city 😉

They definely increased their inventory at the new location, but what people have to understand is they soure 99% from the northeast, so its either seasonal or from a greenhouse. you aren't going to see off season vegetables etc there, and the limited choice was actually freeing, I'd buy the produce they had and learn new things to cook I would have probably overlooked otherwise. I would get household goods otherplaces for the most part, but as far as food there genrally wasn't anything they lacked

Project Phase 3 was feared to be dead as the BBQ restaurant property was back on the market. Now the developer requests an extension for the planning board approval until 2026. So there's hope:

On February 1, 2023, the Worcester Planning Board (the “Board”) voted unanimously to grant approval of the preliminary site plan application (the “Site Plan Approval”) in connection with the Project. The Site Plan Approval is set to expire on February 1, 2024. The purpose of this letter is to request an extension of the Site Plan Approval to February 1, 2026 for the reasons provided herein. While the Applicant hopes to submit a definitive site plan approval application to the Board and commence construction of the Project sometime in 2024, the Applicant needs more time to prepare the definitive site plan approval application and exercise its rights thereafter. The Applicant has been forced to delay the submission of a definitive site plan approval application in connection with the Project due to challenges with respect to access to financing and capital related to the rise of inflation and interest rates, instability of the banking system and an overall slowdown in the commercial real estate market.

Project Phase 3 was feared to be dead as the BBQ restaurant property was back on the market. Now the developer requests an extension for the planning board approval until 2026. So there's hope:

On February 1, 2023, the Worcester Planning Board (the “Board”) voted unanimously to grant approval of the preliminary site plan application (the “Site Plan Approval”) in connection with the Project. The Site Plan Approval is set to expire on February 1, 2024. The purpose of this letter is to request an extension of the Site Plan Approval to February 1, 2026 for the reasons provided herein. While the Applicant hopes to submit a definitive site plan approval application to the Board and commence construction of the Project sometime in 2024, the Applicant needs more time to prepare the definitive site plan approval application and exercise its rights thereafter. The Applicant has been forced to delay the submission of a definitive site plan approval application in connection with the Project due to challenges with respect to access to financing and capital related to the rise of inflation and interest rates, instability of the banking system and an overall slowdown in the commercial real estate market.

I remain skeptical it will start this year

Back