TD Banknorth Garden Big Screen Rejected

KentXie

Reaction score
City rejects Garden video billboard
Objections ranged from traffic concerns to 'just plain ugly'

By Sasha Talcott, Globe Staff | July 28, 2006

Boston city officials said this week they have rejected TD Banknorth Garden's plan to erect a giant video billboard on its building after hearing strong opposition from neighborhood groups.

The Boston Redevelopment Authority formally turned down the billboard because the city allows such signs only in designated entertainment areas, a BRA spokeswoman said.

When the proposal became public in December, it included a 7-foot-tall, 240-foot-long message strip and a centerpiece 80-foot-wide screen, which would have made it one of the largest in the city. It would have been among the last things visible to motorists entering Boston from the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge on Interstate 93.

``We get proposals all the time" for light-up billboards and other electronic signs, said Jessica Shumaker, spokeswoman for the authority. ``The only place they're allowed is entertainment districts" -- Lansdowne Street near Fenway Park and the theater district.

The Garden, home to the Boston Celtics and Bruins, had planned to use its billboard for color advertisements and promotions for the two teams. Though it would have had the capacity to play video, Garden executives had planned to show mostly still images. The project had been stalled for weeks in the city's review process.

The Garden's president, John Wentzell, said: ``We'll listen to what the ultimate concerns are and see if we can address those." He said he would like to sit down with city officials and ``get a final understanding of what we're missing."

Several neighborhood groups met with city officials and sent letters in opposition to the project. The Charlestown Waterfront Coalition called the billboard proposal a source of ``profound concern," and wrote that, if carried out, it would ``irreparably harm our open space at Paul Revere Park, the National Historic Park, and in the Navy Yard."

``It's just plain ugly," said Ivey St. John, a member of the coalition's steering committee. ``The dimensions are highly imposing. The design that was shown to this community totally lacked any subtlety in the colors or in the presentation. This impacted unfairly on a residential community that has worked very hard to improve its environment."

Another neighborhood group, the Friends of City Square Park, argued that the billboard would detract from the Zakim bridge and the Boston skyline. President Ken Stone also wrote that the billboard would be akin to ``asking for serious automobile accidents" on that part of the highway.

Stone, when informed yesterday that the proposal would not go forward, said: ``For public safety, that was the right move. We're very grateful to the mayor for his response to our letters and comments and concerns."

Wentzell, the Garden president, declined to comment directly on the neighbors' criticisms, saying he would ``rather look forward, rather than backward." ``Let's understand what, if anything, is plausible or possible," he said.

Shumaker, of the BRA, said city officials notified executives at the Garden in mid-June of its rejection.

Video billboards have caught on rapidly in sports arenas because of their ability to alternate among several advertisers -- making more money for the arena -- and because they allow advertisers the flexibility to change their ads whenever they please. Outside of sports, several other metropolitan areas, including Cleveland, Hartford, and New Orleans, have allowed video displays along highways.

How can they say they only allow them in entertainment districts and they cause car accidents when Channel 2 is allowed to build one in Brighton along a highway?

Ron Newman said:
Maybe different rules apply to non-profit organizations?

Why discriminate? A distraction is a distraction. Unless it's a well connected distraction.

``We get proposals all the time" for light-up billboards and other electronic signs, said Jessica Shumaker, spokeswoman for the authority. ``The only place they're allowed is entertainment districts" -- Lansdowne Street near Fenway Park and the theater district.

Why isn't the TD BankNorth Garden in an "entertainment district"? Is this an official zoning designation?

I wonder how much electricity the thing would use, probably would have collapsed the grid today

City rejects Garden video billboard
Objections ranged from traffic concerns to 'just plain ugly'

By Sasha Talcott, Globe Staff | July 28, 2006

Boston city officials said this week they have rejected TD Banknorth Garden's plan to erect a giant video billboard on its building after hearing strong opposition from neighborhood groups.

The Boston Redevelopment Authority formally turned down the billboard because the city allows such signs only in designated entertainment areas, a BRA spokeswoman said.

When the proposal became public in December, it included a 7-foot-tall, 240-foot-long message strip and a centerpiece 80-foot-wide screen, which would have made it one of the largest in the city. It would have been among the last things visible to motorists entering Boston from the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge on Interstate 93.

The Garden, home to the Boston Celtics and Bruins, had planned to use its billboard for color advertisements and promotions for the two teams. Though it would have had the capacity to play video, Garden executives had planned to show mostly still images. The project had been stalled for weeks in the city's review process.

The Garden's president, John Wentzell, said: ``We'll listen to what the ultimate concerns are and see if we can address those." He said he would like to sit down with city officials and ``get a final understanding of what we're missing."

Several neighborhood groups met with city officials and sent letters in opposition to the project. The Charlestown Waterfront Coalition called the billboard proposal a source of ``profound concern," and wrote that, if carried out, it would ``irreparably harm our open space at Paul Revere Park, the National Historic Park, and in the Navy Yard."

``It's just plain ugly," said Ivey St. John, a member of the coalition's steering committee. ``The dimensions are highly imposing. The design that was shown to this community totally lacked any subtlety in the colors or in the presentation. This impacted unfairly on a residential community that has worked very hard to improve its environment."

Another neighborhood group, the Friends of City Square Park, argued that the billboard would detract from the Zakim bridge and the Boston skyline. President Ken Stone also wrote that the billboard would be akin to ``asking for serious automobile accidents" on that part of the highway.

Stone, when informed yesterday that the proposal would not go forward, said: ``For public safety, that was the right move. We're very grateful to the mayor for his response to our letters and comments and concerns."

Wentzell, the Garden president, declined to comment directly on the neighbors' criticisms, saying he would ``rather look forward, rather than backward." ``Let's understand what, if anything, is plausible or possible," he said.

Shumaker, of the BRA, said city officials notified executives at the Garden in mid-June of its rejection.

Video billboards have caught on rapidly in sports arenas because of their ability to alternate among several advertisers -- making more money for the arena -- and because they allow advertisers the flexibility to change their ads whenever they please. Outside of sports, several other metropolitan areas, including Cleveland, Hartford, and New Orleans, have allowed video displays along highways.

Same, mundane, historical, Boston....why am I not surprised that yet another exciting idea was turned down. Bostonians are afraid to see something "NEW" in 2008 (the new millienium). It's so frustrating to see exciting ideas, such as this one consistently be denounced. Car accidents on the highway is a little far-fetched, they're doing it in Clevelans, Hartford and New Orleans without a problem. Boston is just afraid of change. Everything is geared to "preserving the history" what about the now? what about the future?

Boston rejected proposals for the future when it realized it wouldn't be contextual with the past.

Number One:I hope Shirley sees this after her claims that everything is approved by default.

Number Two: If an entertainment district is official, then the area around Canal St. and whatever it is that runs parallel to the RKG should become one. There's subway stops, plenty of bars, an arena, and residential, and eventually, hotels. Of course this should be an entertainment district, if not the biggest entertainment district in Boston. It could be Boston's Times Square. Also, even though there would be less viewership, it should have been proposed on the other side, where they had the projections during the Finals.

Kennedy, people from NYC don't like Times Square. Why would we be any different? I think we should erect something LIKE TS around Tremont and Stuart because it would help business, but alot less flashy than NY and not pretending to be something it's not.

Yes, be like New York, but TOTALLY NOT LIKE NY WE ARE SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU GUYS.

That's the spirit!

Hey Van who didn't even make the playoffs this year?

And, Times Square isn't for New Yorkers. It's for movie directors and out of towners from the midwest. So it doesn't matter if they like it.

Boston needs something flashy. I guess when I meant 'like TS' I meant more of 'somewhere with flashing lights, bars, clubs, hotels, and other entertainment that isn't sleepy like the Theater District and isn't full of indie music bands like Lansdowne.'

Same, mundane, historical, Boston....why am I not surprised that yet another exciting idea was turned down. Bostonians are afraid to see something "NEW" in 2008 (the new millienium). It's so frustrating to see exciting ideas, such as this one consistently be denounced. Car accidents on the highway is a little far-fetched, they're doing it in Clevelans, Hartford and New Orleans without a problem. Boston is just afraid of change. Everything is geared to "preserving the history" what about the now? what about the future?

Yes that's why the same type of display denied for WGBH on the turnpike and why Emerson wasn't allowed to install a neon marque at the Majestic theater.

Do people on this forum actually get out. If you are that unhappy move.

As far as Times Square I avoid it like the plague unless I'm taking people on tour. You can't move, even the companies in the office buildings are concerned about this problem.

"The Garden, home to the Boston Celtics and Bruins, had planned to use its billboard for color advertisements and promotions for the two teams."

I don't know if I'm psyched about huge billboards used for advertising, regardless of location or purpose. I don't care for the Budweiser ad, for example.

Just a personal preference.

If you don't like advertisements, the USSR wants you! Down with capitalism!

North Korea only has one ad, and its for Fiat, the official car of the government.

(Im serious)

We had advertisements in the USSR

I didn't believe you at first (I mean...what was the point?) so I had to check it out. And yes!

2057494881_968abb13fd_o.jpg

Now I know what it takes to get all the girls.

Also...

2057479055_0e7ac4cbc3.jpg

This must be the Soviet SUV. Check out how it off-roads in that treacherous wheatfield. What handling! And look what a range of colors those consumers have to choose from...

Wait, are they allowed to choose their mate in communist countries?

Also, by USSR I meant "anti-capitalism" even though I know America isn't all the way capitalist. And ads are capitalist. So...you got my drift.

Back