TD Gahhhden expansion

What matters is that in 1890 Trinity Church was one of the most respected bits of architecture in the US. in 1990 the same was still true

But in 1960 people were calling buildings like Trinity Church (if not exactly up to their quality standards) "ghastly Victorian piles" and clamoring for them to be torn down in favor of clean, modern architecture.

City Hall is just rounding the corner from that point in its history now. In 40 years, it will be beloved.

I've always liked City Hall, and I have no architectural training. People who enjoy variation and cleverness should see something in that building.

The last time Boston was truly cutting-edge was when we built City Hall.

That sounds like a pretty good argument against doing something that is "cutting-edge" for its own sake.

It's been an even longer while since Boston designed anything in the Beaux-Arts style or a true Art Deco building. I'd prefer to see thoughtful updates of Art Deco before some aluminum mess designed by Zaha Hadid in a shape vaguely reminiscent of a cockroach's body. Reviving some of the more-interesting schools of architecture that we haven't seen since pre-1945 would probably actually result in a greater impact on architecture worldwide and in a more pleasant city able to attract the skilled workers and new businesses you want.

City Hall was one of (if not the most) cutting edge buildings in the world and put Boston on the map in the architecture world. We've severely lost our place on the map since.

If it means pleasing a few dozen stuffed shirts at the GSD (for whom Boston is already "on the map" for obvious reasons), then I'm not really concerned whether Boston is "on the architecture map." Boston is a fabulously successful city because of its long-term strengths in life sciences, academia, financial services/banking, tech, consumer goods (the average Bulgarian is probably a lot more familiar with Reebok or Gillette than with Genzyme), and other industries.

Boston is also a draw because of its architecture ... namely its historic architecture and dense, European-style streets. We aren't architecturally cutting-edge and, frankly, given the trendy crap that constitutes "cutting-edge" today and the success of the city more generally speaking, I'm happy with that. Of course, I'd like to see the sort of innovate, small-plot architecture going up in Amsterdam or Berlin take root in the Seaport. If that's "cutting-edge," great.

But if it means joining the international pissing contest of third-tier cities you've never heard of in China or the Middle East vying to build the latest grasshopper-shaped cultural center by Zaha Hadid, that really isn't going to make the city any more pleasant to be in or tell the rest of the world anything about Boston other than that it must be insecure if it needs to compensate for other shortcomings by having Zaha plop down a few cookie-cutter UFO-inspired office buildings.

Urban renewal and highways were once cutting edge too. That should be an obvious warning enough that being at the leading edge of a trend for the sake of being "of the times" isn't always such a good idea.

The sad part to me is that they designed North Station without a way to knock out that back wall and build a real entrance from Causeway St. I've fantasized about putting the old North Station facade back on that side of the development, but I see your points about cheesiness.

The thing is, though, that this site doesn't necessarily need to be in the same style as the Garden. I feel like what character the Garden has was designed to face the Charles and the Zakim, not the city. This site could almost be an entirely independent organism, facing the other direction with a pedestrian corridor winding between it and the adjacent arena. It would break up the megablock concept infecting that part of the city (Avenir, Victor, Charles River Park...)

In any case, the Bruins execs should hop the next flight to DC (it'd be easy - they were just there for the playoff series) and get a good look at how the Verizon Center interacts with the city - in fact, this project sounds so much like the mall attached to the Verizon Center that I wonder if the announcement right after the Caps series isn't a coincidence...

The back wall can be easily knocked out. While New Garden construction went on above, people walked through the lobby of the Old Garden and into the current North Station lobby to get to their trains.

The back wall can be easily knocked out. While New Garden construction went on above, people walked through the lobby of the Old Garden and into the current North Station lobby to get to their trains.

Good, then they should certainly do it. The business case is obvious - all that foot traffic past their new shops can't be bad for rents. Many cities have booming shopping centers at commuter rail terminals - including this one.

Bruins exploring idea of building practice facility at old Garden site.

BOSTON – The Boston Bruins have been searching for a new practice facility and now there’s a possibility the organization could build a rink on the site of the old Boston Garden, according to Bruins principal Charlie Jacobs.

The Bruins have been practicing at Ristuccia Memorial Arena in Wilmington, Mass., for more than a decade. The site of the old Garden is currently a parking lot adjacent to TD Garden.

“My hope would be we would have a premiere, world-class training facility,” Jacobs said. “Not to say we don’t have one at Ristuccia, but we think we can do better, a little bit of an upgrade. If it works out with our partners at Boston Properties, and we’ll still penciling the numbers, there is a good chance that we would have one right next door, in addition to some retail and restaurants. It’s actually a really good concept we’re rolling out to fill in the North End.”

Jacobs admitted there are still ongoing discussions with other properties, but having a practice facility connected to TD Garden is the organization’s first choice.

The Bruins have researched other practice facilities around the league, and the idea on the table here in Boston, Jacobs says, complements some of the ideas the organization has for the real estate on Causeway.

Along with retail, restaurants and bars, Jacobs said, there’s a possibility of adding a 4,000- or 5,000-seat theatre.

There is no timetable to break ground, but the Bruins have submitted a master plan to the Boston Redevelopment Authority. Jacobs’ expectation is that those plans will be reviewed in November with the possibility of receiving a preliminary permit for the work.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruins/post/_/id/13759/bs-explore-practice-rink-on-causeway

Hmm, I thought they're working on a deal for New Balance's new arena.
I suppose one should keep all options open...

Data -- my wife just brought home a library book that's a bit apropos to this:
The Perfect House: A Journey with Renaissance Master Andrea Palladio
by Witold Rybczynski

something about timeless and human that connect -- i.e. everyone can feel at home with a Greek Temple -- its really rare when something comes along which can play in that league

Like I said in another post -- the Hancock is the only building from its era (1950 to 1975) which I hope is still standing in Boston in 2080

City Hall would be the first one I'd dynamite -- followed by all of Paul Rudolph's bastardisms and then Johnson's

The Palladian fetishism of International Place could actually be one-upped by adding classical details to the Gahhden. The facade switch scene from the movie version of "The Fountainhead" is flashing before my eyes!

This is Boston, not Athens, any proper Bostonian would never wear a toga after labor day no matter how much free miller lite was promise by a fraternity!

Is that MGH's employee lot? They won't give that up without a fight.

The old Garden site is the parking lot along Causeway Street where the new towers are planned to go. So, they want to make the practice rink part of that project?

The old Garden site is the parking lot along Causeway Street where the new towers are planned to go. So, they want to make the practice rink part of that project?
The Jacobs can't ever make up their mind, they seem to be the epitome of real estate gadflies.

Aside from the existing constraints on the site with the Green Line and Orange Lines, the need to provide access to North Station, and the economic cost of sacrificing two or more floors of leasable space, there is the engineering task of building a column free space of about 25,000 sq ft with towers on top on a site that almost certainly is filled tidal land. 25,000 sq ft is probably 70 percent of the site footprint, which is why Jacobs talks about 4,000 - 5,000 sq ft of retail being left.

And then he also dreams about a 5,000 seat theater, which further complicates the column spacing and loadings.

They could probably practice at New Balance for 10 years before anything is available on the old Garden site.

Just sayin....

They could be negotiating with New Balance on their rink and using this article as leverage saying we don't need your rink that bad, we can build our own.

It would not make any sense to devote that much space in prime real estate to a practice rink, unless you were also going to host a minor league hockey/bball team in a small arena.

I don't get it. Isn't their PNF less than a month old? And they already want to alter it?

I don't get it. Isn't their PNF less than a month old? And they already want to alter it?

That's kinda why I think racer is right. This seems like a bluff for their NB rink use negotiations. It's an obvious bluff at that...

Racer sounds to have hit the nail on the head. No way they are actually looking hard at putting a rink on that lot, it would be a complete waste. Grocery store, hotel, office, retail and apartments are planned - I don't see them changing that to accommodate a practice rink or small theater.

Back