The Abbot Building | 1-30 Brattle St | Harvard Square | Cambridge

Current tenants I have seen mentioned: Chase Bank. A Mark Wahlberg climbing gym. The Comedy Studio in the basement.

What from the outside during the day looks like the second and third floors is actually a double-height second floor the whole width from JFK St to Brattle. Same with the corner section where Curious George used to be.
DSC_0002.jpeg

High quality materials. Only the best for Haaaahvid Squahh. :)

Very high quality project. If I had to nit pick one thing I would have preferred to see light colored stone for the base vs dark so it matched the other buildings. Other than that though this is a great looking project.

I Guess there is a difference between bouldering and rock climbing. I like it

Bouldering are climbs that are protected by pads only, without ropes. They typically don't go higher than 12-15' at the most. It requires solving short "problems" in order to successfully navigate each route. More info here (and google).

It's ironic. Beautiful window grates added to Harvard Square while beautiful and old window grates are being destroyed in Boston at the Shreve site....only to be replaced by endless, boring, Bauhaus window frames.

Long profile in the Globe about Dewey Cheetham & Howe.

OK7Q4NK7RFT6JUJZSZZY5Y2OJU.jpg

Image courtesy of the Globe.

Things are a lot less shabby now. In the recent renovation of the building, the cigar smoke-inflected office and the floor it sat on were removed. The window now sits in the second-story wall above a sparkling new yoga studio in a rock climbing gym.

Magliozzi and Berman still remember the day the sign was put up. While the installer, an older man, worked quietly at the window, the Magliozzis and Berman were putting together a newspaper column responding to a reader who’d been swindled by a car insurance salesmen. They were loudly ranting about the insurance industry when they heard the man clear his throat.

“This old guy got off his little stepladder and he turned to us and with a quavering voice said, ‘You know, my brother was an insurance agent,’” Magliozzi recalled. “And I thought, ‘Oh, my God, we’ve insulted this guy and his family!’ And in the next breath, he said, ‘And he screwed everybody!’”

Back