The Abbot Building | 1-30 Brattle St | Harvard Square | Cambridge

RandomWalk

Reaction score
I got the impression when I talked with a staff member today that the store wouldn't survive the downtime for construction.

My reaction, having witnessed the Tasty block's evolution is heck no.

FitchburgLine

Reaction score
Ehh, the existing building is 2 stories adjacent to a shitload of pure residential (Harvard campus) and a heavy rail stop. My complaint is it isn't high enough- why fight the war over a zoning variance only to add a few extra stories?

odurandina

Reaction score
Harvard Square could use a 425' mixed use spire w/ skylobby & brewhouse.

the possibilities give me chills.

Last edited:

mdd

Reaction score
Harvard Square itself will never get that.

datadyne007

Staff member
Reaction score
The project in question:

The Harvard Collection

Last edited:

Shepard

Reaction score
For the most part, it maintains the urban fabric and storefronts at street level. Which I appreciate. But the major exception is the corner itself, where Curious George would become an escalator. To me, that unique retailer adds a lot of interest and vitality to what is otherwise the blah-corner of an iconic intersection.

Also, a weird downside to maintaining the urban fabric at street level and capping everything off with glass is the resulting insipidness of the design. It looks dated, boring, stodgy, insecure, a if it knows its a travesty and so just wants to "blend in" as if everyone would forget it's there.

CSTH

Reaction score
Yeah.

Good news is at least there are no new curb-cuts.

But makes me wonder if it woudn't be better to scrape the anonymous two-story mid-block building (Urban Outfitters) and add some meaningful density, with a general upgrade to the architecture and especially a more engaging streetwall - e.g. a couple floors of retail with a half dozen floors of hotel or residential on top like the peets coffee / grendles building or the brand-new one where chili's used to be.....maybe that's the long game anyway, we'll see.

Above Curious George is Dewy-Cheetham & Howe, of course.

To paraphrase something more eloquent: If every generation gets the Harvard Square it deserves, then this was probably inevitable...

dirtywater

Reaction score
According to Curbed the Curious George Store in Harvard Square will remain for the foreseeable future:

The Curious George store in Harvard Square—the only one of its kind in the world—is staying in the area under what’s apparently a long-term lease with its landlord.

datadyne007

Staff member
Reaction score
According to Curbed the Curious George Store in Harvard Square will remain for the foreseeable future:
The mall is still getting built though, as of now. They've just committed to let Curious George have a new space in the development, both interim during construction and then a final space.

Czervik.Construction

Reaction score
WTF has happened to Harvard Square?? I admit it has been several years since I have been there, but it looks like the place is being ripped apart.

Am I over-reacting like my dad, who used to grumble about the Hayes-Bickford cafeteria not being around how hippies ruined everything?

stellarfun

Reaction score
Dewey, Cheatham & Howe is still there. The window has a white panel behind it.