The Alcott (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

Re: Longfellow Place (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

i guess she really is the worst... at least after reading that message board (personally, i try to avoid reading comments on anything anymore, theyre too frustrating) i learned that the composer of O Canada lived on Worthington...

Just went after Shirley on the message board. She's the absolute worst. See my response to "skressel". I did miss one word.... "We all know that's ***what*** your real agenda is." Pisses me off, but there's no way to edit it.

Wow. I just read that. BRAVO!!!

Wow that would be awesome!

Just went after Shirley on the message board. She's the absolute worst. See my response to "skressel". I did miss one word.... "We all know that's ***what*** your real agenda is." Pisses me off, but there's no way to edit it.
It's too bad BDC has removed the comment section. I would've loved to see you correct Shirley. That's too bad that I couldn't see you school that old myopic crow.

But on the plus side, it is refreshing to see the old NIMBY establishment fade off into the sunset. They stood in the way for too damn long. One good thing about Marty is that he has kept his word on pushing these types of projects through.

Shirley does her homework. She's fanatically opposed to every highrise tower development in the City. But the Vancouverization of Boston ain't gonna happen - and some of us have no problem telling her, Galer and others that their false narratives are just that: FALSE.

This from northendwaterfront.com
what a nightmare!

Garden Garage Project Tabled at Zoning Commission

By Matt Conti on Wed, May. 25, 2016 in Real Estate & Development

The Boston Zoning Commission tabled the Garden Garage project in the West End at a meeting last week regarding a Planned Development Area (PDA) at 35 Lomasney Way. The Garden Garage project proposal by Equity Residential is a $390 million, 44-story, 470 apartment building with an 830 space underground parking garage. The site is commonly known today as Basketball City.

Despite ongoing objections by West End residents, the Boston Redevelopment Authority approved the project in February 2016 noting over 20 meetings have been held on the contentious project including hours of public testimony in front of the BRA board. PDA’s need Zoning Commission approval beyond the BRA board.

North End resident, Victor Brogna, wrote the Zoning Commission highlighting substantial opposition during the public comment process.

I was present an Impact Advisory Group (IAG) meeting regarding the project on January 7, 2016. In response to a question from an IAG member, the BRA staff person conducting the meeting disclosed that the BRA had received 782 letters in opposition to the project, and only 7 letters in support.

For its part, Equity is citing the benefit of putting the 5-story garage underground and noting the support of the neighboring board at West End Place, owners of Amy Lowell House and the Downtown North Association.

West End resident, Louise Thomas, attended the Zoning Commission meeting and reported the commissioners encouraged the neighborhood and developer to continue negotiating with an implication of a shorter building along the lines of the Longfellow Towers.

What is this the temple mount? These people are extremely determined to make sure that the west end stays the worst neighborhood in downtown/ a gated community that nobody is allowed into or can/want to go to. Congratulations.

"the BRA staff person conducting the meeting disclosed that the BRA had received 782 letters in opposition to the project, and only 7 letters in support."

Really? Please don't tell me the BRA's understanding of opinion polling is this ignorant. Why don't they ask all Bostonians our opinions of whether we're making best use of the west end (in terms of everyone's interest) - I can't think of a bigger waste of precious, centrally-located urban land. As it was stated: this neighborhood borders on being a gated non-destination serving the needs of a precious privileged few despite being meters away from an urban core.

So this isn't a go?

Its ridiculous that people in the North End think they should have any say in what happens 6 blocks outside their neighborhood.

The keyword is "encouraged". Albeit a pain, this will move along.

Who the hell are these people and what the hell is wrong with their brains. they need to move to the suburbs asap.

This from northendwaterfront.com
what a nightmare!

Garden Garage Project Tabled at Zoning Commission

By Matt Conti on Wed, May. 25, 2016 in Real Estate & Development

The Boston Zoning Commission tabled the Garden Garage project in the West End at a meeting last week regarding a Planned Development Area (PDA) at 35 Lomasney Way. The Garden Garage project proposal by Equity Residential is a $390 million, 44-story, 470 apartment building with an 830 space underground parking garage. The site is commonly known today as Basketball City.

Despite ongoing objections by West End residents, the Boston Redevelopment Authority approved the project in February 2016 noting over 20 meetings have been held on the contentious project including hours of public testimony in front of the BRA board. PDA’s need Zoning Commission approval beyond the BRA board.

North End resident, Victor Brogna, wrote the Zoning Commission highlighting substantial opposition during the public comment process.

I was present an Impact Advisory Group (IAG) meeting regarding the project on January 7, 2016. In response to a question from an IAG member, the BRA staff person conducting the meeting disclosed that the BRA had received 782 letters in opposition to the project, and only 7 letters in support.

For its part, Equity is citing the benefit of putting the 5-story garage underground and noting the support of the neighboring board at West End Place, owners of Amy Lowell House and the Downtown North Association.

West End resident, Louise Thomas, attended the Zoning Commission meeting and reported the commissioners encouraged the neighborhood and developer to continue negotiating with an implication of a shorter building along the lines of the Longfellow Towers.[/QUOTE

If the city caves to these squawking losers about the building being "too high", it will prove one thing. That the city has no balls! ....When are they going to finally tell these people once and for all that when you live in a big city, big buildings are part of that lifestyle? And without a massive build up, the city cannot accommodate those wishing to move here. Shut the hell up, or move to the country!!!
I, for one, would LOVE to move to the city proper, but can't afford it because the rents are astronomically high- and we have loads of these A-holes screaming about buildings being "too high". Hopefully Walsh will shut them up somehow. The economic future and vitality of the city will progress much better when housing becomes more affordable....it's not even arguable really.
Sitting adjacent to North Station, this project is "transit-oriented", and fulfills the requirements needed to grow the city without adding to traffic problems much.........BUILD IT!

Maybe a stupid question, but is the harm in just saying "NO" to these people?

Maybe a stupid question, but is the harm in just saying "NO" to these people?

Potential political harm for the Mayor and City Councillors, and therefore for the BRA board members who they appoint. Local elections are generally very low-turnout affairs, and officials are hyper-aware of any organized constituencies that could drive slight turnout increases in an opponent's direction.

NorthendWaterfront.com has a letter from some West End residents concerning the project. If you want a good cringe read from some completely tone deaf West Enders about their collective persecution complex, have fun.

http://northendwaterfront.com/2016/06/letter-mayor-west-end-resident/

Spoiled, spoiled West-Enders. They get to live in the city of Boston - near downtown for that matter. And many of them even have cars there (I don't know why they think that's reasonable - but they do). Somehow they lost track of...oh, um...the last 30 years...during which timeframe what they have (e.g., residence near downtown within one of the most desirable cities in our nation) became an exclusive privilege. Meanwhile, the West End is a neighborhood whose previous incarnation was destroyed to make way for what they currently posses: an under-utilized, quiet, gated park-within-a-city - the real shame of the destruction of the old West End is how underutilized the current scheme is. And these people have the nerve to complain that someone wants to put a 44-story tower in their (underutilized) backyard? This is a zone where we can actually have height (and no, I am not a height-at-all-costs person like some on this forum - but this is actually a place where the FAA allows height, where we don't care about shadows, and where the historic character is already gone). And they are complaining about cars - cars! They actually expect to be able to drive around there during rush hour?

If it were up to me, we would extend the blue line to Charles MGH, but instead of going straight down Cambridge St, we would route it through the West End, have a Blue Line stop in the midst of it, and build one or more tall towers there.

It's time these West Enders started contributing their underutilized resources toward the future of our city.

Signed,
A Brighton-ite with a 1.5 mile commute that takes 45-minutes, whereby all of my neighbors are mid-twentysomethings crammed 3x-4x to an apartment.

Back